All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my 3 nakiri from Karol Karyś:

47264401kj.jpeg

47264402op.jpeg

47264403bx.jpeg

47264405po.jpeg

Vintage Sugimoto SF4030 small cleaver cutting up stuff for pho. I picked this up as a restoration project thinking it was iron clad with carbon core steel like the normal Sugimoto small cleaver, but it turned out to be monosteel with a differential hardening line. Harder to sharpen than regular Sugimoto, but performs nicely.
DBE36D1A-02ED-4334-B6A8-C4B7EC6A8E00.jpeg

9397943E-344C-49A1-9D4A-D8B005EEA563.jpeg

DB682FEF-8934-4B66-9D6B-7896D57D6F6A.jpeg

Final product:
EB52AF3A-4D23-4645-8BEF-F9B9290321FC.jpeg

Alright KKF, we just slipped into the second half of ARM24. The clock is ticking but there's still plenty of time to join the ARM'd Forces! Maybe you don't have a rectangle in your arsenal? No worries, ARM is, again, a celebration of the rectangle so there's no better time than now to find one you like and place an order. Buying a rectangle during ARM is the ultimate rectangle salute!

@TokushuKnife has some nice affordable options. Kyohei, Tokushu house brand, a sexy Moritiaka, and more. They have a few cleavers in stock as well. Code KKF15 gets you 15% off!

Remember, we welcome full and part time ARM'd warriors!

💪🪖
no rush we have April Rectangle Month, then All Rectangle May,

Moritaka 180mm nakiri

Ah, I'm partaking in ARM with one of those so far :)

It's one of my oldest knives, I got this when they still directly sold to the customers. Maybe 10 years ago? I'd have to look.
I must say, it is still a favorite. I have a good routine managing the iron flanks - just wipe them with some pressure regularly, and the patina doesn't get very intense at all.
The size is just perfect. Sure, you have to give up rocking, but then you get a well-functional tip in front. It's large enough to do some basic scooping but still agile. And the AS steel is very nice, especially for the price. I'm not a steel expert, but I hadn't notice a dramatic difference in performance compared to Denkas.
And that stainless part in the handle just gives me a peace of mind when things get intense.

4H2A7422.jpg

My only regret is that it is certainly an asymmetrical blade. There is little steering, but for super thin slices, it is better used with the right hand.

When I read some of the comments about rectangles, particularly nakiri, I'm convinced a lot of the people who disparage them have no or very little experience actually using them.
I may try a nakiri one day but can't see what if gain over a Chinese cleaver now I'm used to the size and heft. The only other knife I ever use is a carving knife for sticky cheese and well, carving.

So I’m contemplating that Sugimoto No 6 vs a Nakiri. I already have a Zwilling Nakiri though not a huge fan of it (prob because it’s not very sharp at the moment). Is there any reason to expect another Nakiri will be more appealing to me?

So I’m contemplating that Sugimoto No 6 vs a Nakiri. I already have a Zwilling Nakiri though not a huge fan of it (prob because it’s not very sharp at the moment). Is there any reason to expect another Nakiri will be more appealing to me?

So first, if you look around you'll find a "... Cleaver Chat..." thread. I once asked the Cleaver Freaks (sorta the SOF of ARM) if the gatewayed on nakiri and it was a resounding no! Then I got a small cleaver and immediately understood. They really are a different experience. So just keep that in mind when considering one over the other.

As to the Zwilling vs. others and you level of satisfaction, the reflex response is yes get a better one! But, before that. it would help you to understand what you don't like about it. If you don't like the general design, a nicer cutting one may not overcome that.

Last edited:
As a nakiri enthusiast wading my way into cleaverdom...I think they're quite a bit different. I love both, but in my experience nakiri are more nimble and user friendly to beginners. The sugi #6 is a great knife and very pleasant to use, but it's big! You'll notice how much heavier it is (434 g) than your standard 170-210 g nakiri. The weight does all the work for you, it just drops through stuff on its own, but that combined with the 110 mm height make it a much more substantial package than a 55-80 mm tall nakiri. I enjoy it immensely but can't fly through prep like I can with a smaller nakiri. Some of that is just practice and comfort, but they're different beasts. The scoopability of a cleaver is unrivaled and I think it's definitely worth trying one. Sugi grinds are good so it'll be a better experience than a cheap wok shop type cleaver.

I think you all hit it on the head. I don’t quite love the handle on my Zwilling so I always end up grabbing my other knives, and I think I actually don’t like the balance of it much either so maybe the heft of the cleaver is what I want. But I am definitely open to trying another Nakiri too. I continue to be drawn to the Sugi.

You are new, so learn to sharpen before investing in expensive knives. Some forum favorites for nakiri are shindo for cheap, watanabe for moderate price, and the knife japan thread has a few suggestions for rustic performers that are generally inexpensive.

I may try a nakiri one day but can't see what if gain over a Chinese cleaver now I'm used to the size and heft. The only other knife I ever use is a carving knife for sticky cheese and well, carving.

All of this is preference. I like a Nakiri for precise work, where it is easy to move one finger over the blad to keep stacks intact. Hard to do that with a Chuka. It's like the difference between a 270 workhorse gyuto and a petty knife.

If I have a lot of prep, I prefer the Sugi -- it powers through anything. I like small, light knives for small jobs and more substantial knives for bigger jobs.

I think you all hit it on the head. I don’t quite love the handle on my Zwilling so I always end up grabbing my other knives, and I think I actually don’t like the balance of it much either so maybe the heft of the cleaver is what I want. But I am definitely open to trying another Nakiri too. I continue to be drawn to the Sugi.
Chef knives to go https://www.**************.com/chkiw2smsl.html

https://ikkyu-japanavenue.online/co...ble-beveled-black-nakiri-170mm-from-japan-f-s

Well, I didn't know about ARM until M was half-over, and I got other new toys I wanna play with a lot... but I did All Rectangle Weekend at least. 22 working hours Saturday and Sunday, everything from six shotguns of meatloaf to 45 tilapia IQFs and anything else that needed a cutting got done with my CCK.

1710730670663.png
1710730701234.png
1710730732648.png
1710730763562.png
1710730795412.png
1710730829228.png
1710730860873.png

Chuka go chop chop

A friend of mine has a zwilling nakiri. I tried it out and I hated it. Feels like someone took a normal chef knife and just cut the front off of it. Also the zwilling stuff in general is overly heavy in the handle area, leading to awkward balance.

So to answer your question, yes I think a better nakiri will be a noticeable improvement. And also a cleaver will be much different from that, perhaps even more preferable.

Alright KKF, we just slipped into the second half of ARM24. The clock is ticking but there's still plenty of time to join the ARM'd Forces! Maybe you don't have a rectangle in your arsenal? No worries, ARM is, again, a celebration of the rectangle so there's no better time than now to find one you like and place an order. Buying a rectangle during ARM is the ultimate rectangle salute!

@TokushuKnife has some nice affordable options. Kyohei, Tokushu house brand, a sexy Moritiaka, and more. They have a few cleavers in stock as well. Code KKF15 gets you 15% off!

Remember, we welcome full and part time ARM'd warriors!

💪🪖
Also we have "All Rectangle SEptember" (A.R.S.E)

Back