All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has a zwilling nakiri. I tried it out and I hated it. Feels like someone took a normal chef knife and just cut the front off of it. Also the zwilling stuff in general is overly heavy in the handle area, leading to awkward balance.

So to answer your question, yes I think a better nakiri will be a noticeable improvement. And also a cleaver will be much different from that, perhaps even more preferable.
That’s really reassuring to hear! I do think that even when the knife was brand new I wasn’t overly in love with it.

That’s really reassuring to hear! I do think that even when the knife was brand new I wasn’t overly in love with it.

The difference between a German mainstream brand nakiri and a well done Japanese one are night and day.

If you don't mind a rustic finish and maybe a need to do some light sanding on the spine and choil but with the tradeoff being a good performing knife at an approachable price and from a great seller, then Michael of Knife Japan has you covered.

https://knifejapan.com/

If you've never bought from overseas, it's easy. No different than buying in the states and Michael's shipping is very fast.

If you want something more specific or aesthetic, then I'd suggest you copy/paste this questionnaire into a new thread in the Kitchen Knife sub-forum:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/new-knife-questionnaire.63548/

Since I've hardly cooked at home this march, at least almost nothing that requires a knife, I feel like I let the ARM crowd down. :(
Same, I had about 2 weeks and then it's been hotel living since :(

I did bring a nakiri thinning project with me though so at least that counts for something?

We accept pictures as penance. :)

Unknown beater by the stove:

PXL_20240318_205144557.jpg

The nice ones by the cutting board. Kajibei, Watanabe, and... a taiwanese rectagle from Copenhagen. :)

PXL_20240318_205159591.jpg

It's probably bad for to join the party so late. Like forgetting to wear green to Saint Patrick's Day Happy Hour. Better Nate than lever!

I bought this thing at a flea market awhile back. Haven't had time to play with it much.

Probably more pleasant with the sound off!

Sharpening

Cutting some ginger

Happy ARM!

It's probably bad for to join the party so late. Like forgetting to wear green to Saint Patrick's Day Happy Hour. Better Nate than lever!

I bought this thing at a flea market awhile back. Haven't had time to play with it much.

Probably more pleasant with the sound off!

Sharpening

Cutting some ginger

Happy ARM!

Sir! It's never too late to jump into ARM! Especially for one with such a distinguished rectangle history.

Sir! It's never too late to jump into ARM! Especially for one with such a distinguished rectangle history.

What? Can't hear you over the video blaring over the Bluetooth speaker!

Ok good. Here's another.

Fine diced onion (basically a brunoise but there is always 14 French chef wannabe pedants who show up in the comments if you call something a brunoise but aren't sufficiently anal about it)

Hey @blokey

Can you interpret this for me please?

View attachment 309076
It’s 江门利器厂 正三珩瓦, reads in Mandarin Jiangmen knife Factory Zheng (Zheng usually means original/authentic in this sense) San Heng Wa, it originated in Guangdong but I don’t know how Cantonese would pronounce it. Chinese source says it was established in later Qing as just San Heng Wa, but later would brand out in 1930s to bunch of businesses include Zheng San Heng Wa, some. The brand still exist today but mostly just stainless factory knives now

Back