Announcement for 2016 and A Catcheside Christmas Sparkles WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bill and Todd for the encouragement :) This has to be the best time of year for making Damascus because the weather is grim, can shut away the world and forge away in comparative tropical bliss, Only downside is trying to stay warn during all the grinding and polishing. I find it harder to do fiddly tasks when layered up like a snowman ;)

Will, that looks sooper cool - I very curios what it is that you have in mind here. I though for a minute that it is going to be a bread knife :D

Ha ha glad I got someone going with that ;) .... Its a tallish nakiri..... currently about 60mm x 180-190 ish.....

The blade is all prepped for HT, profiled ground clean and taper. I also gave it a partial polish just with belts so we can see the pattern, I will do the pattern reveal on xmas eve :)

In the mean time here is the slice I took off the end before adding the laddered edge/dog tooth section.

I have polished and etched on three surfaces and left the twist texture on one side. I think it shows really well the level of detail and complexity of this pattern and how twisting effects the pattern through the bar. As you can imagine within the spiral the pattern will also change allot as you take cross sections from the outer of the twists to the core of the twists. Though this does not show that, it shows the outer twisted face and the end section.

Dirty thumb for scale....

That little piece of metal could maybe be turned into some really cool bottle opener or finger knife ... just saying ... :)

You are quite right, I have not done my xmas shopping yet or plan to as this and a few other little offcuts are getting turned into little things for my xmas presents. I like to cut it fine, so have tomorrow to do that .... Anything to avoid the last day panic buying scenario :D

Ha ha, well I have a fair lot of bits and pieces in the saw bed..... So definitely one for the new year...... a what can I make this piece into thread....... But first things first I have one day left to make all my presents!!! ;)

Happy Christmas everyone.. :)

Here are a few shots of a sneaky peak of the pattern quick rough finish and etch before heat treatment.

Thanks Dennis, yes couldn't be happier at this stage, it reminds me a little of Mc Escher never-ending staircases , worth the effort...Have a great day :)

That is truly amazing piece of work Will! I really enjoy your WIPs! Thank You.

-H

Thanks F-Flash, glad your enjoying it:)

Will, this was an amazing read up for me. Thanks for showing your work and your passion in this amount of detail. That Nakiri is going to be an absolute stunner of a blade!

Thanks very much Erikz, looking forward to finishing this, it will be a Wa with ebony/sterling silver and split damascus ferrule/endcap. Happy 2016 everyone :)

Ah Thanks Randy, that means allot , love your work too! best to you and family for 2016 :)

That is a stunning knife Will.

But back to the original question - how about that bottle opener (combined with little pry point on the other end)? :)

Thanks Matus, well no promises, must stay focused to my tasks in hand at the moment, but it would be nice to make use of some more little offcuts sometimes and thats a good idea for them :)

Well bit of a pause there but have her all ground and figured out the handle materials with the customer....

We have something very dark, I forget the name, similar to bog oak but with different light shading, very very dense, will be going split ferrule and endcap with x2 silver sterling spacers soldered to the damascus parts....gona be rather nice I think ;)

Polishing polishing now, before the etch....... I can see all the details as I polish, with out a doubt the most involved and detailed damascus I have undertaken to date. Will have to wait till next week for the blade reveal. Thanks All

Im looking forward to seeing this one Will. Nice choice of handle materials sounds like a SOLID plan!

Blessings to you and yours
Randy

Cheers Randy!, this is one of those ones, I definitely don't want to drop into the buffer! I would cry and so would my bank manager , You know the feeling well I'm sure ;)

Couldn't resist a little preview of the finished article during final fit up.......will be shooting full gallery shots today or tomorrow light dependent...

This one feels rather special, makes my knees wobble a bit like the pattern:D Hope the customer feels the same, thats what its all about!

Back