Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBF Hammy should have had to give the lead back in lap 1, when he did the exact same thing Max did last week and for which he DID have to give the place back. So it's not like he "deserved" his placement all that much in any case.

It was also the most thrilling last lap in the history of F1. If it had ended with the SC out, it would have been a terrible joke and really unsatisfying for anybody except staunch Hamilton fans (or Merc fans, but who the hell likes a racing team? Ugh. They won the constructors cup anyway.)

Fake drama entirely though. Always going to be an unfair fight given the difference in grip and wear - it was a foregone conclusion as soon as they ended up virtually next to each other

I’d like to have seen an exciting racing finish too. Sadly that wasn’t it - felt all so shoddy and unsatisfactory really, Agree on the inconsistency of the judgments, but random farce is no way to conclude a great contest

Latest news I've heard is that Mercedes' protest was rejected by the stewards, and Mercedes has apparently stated they're filing for an appeal at the International Court of Sport Arbitration. Apparently, they have until Thursday to file the appeal.

Hey,,,, anyone know if Masi gets a trophy too??? Afterall, he's determined the outcome.

Last edited:
Think it's a done deal. Noticed during this season that Honda & Mercedes camps have totally different takes on things that happen on the tracks. It's about being biased to your driver. Kind of like politics in America.

Think it's a done deal. Noticed during this season that Honda & Mercedes camps have totally different takes on things that happen on the tracks. It's about being biased to your driver. Kind of like politics in America.

It's always about "the money", and in F-1, that means BIG money. Those championship points are worth a fortune. For example, if Mercedes had not won the Constructor's Championship, they would have lost a minimum of 35 million Euros (or perhaps dollars) in one category alone. There are several catogories in the distribution of money to the teams. Ferrari gets more money than anyone else, regardless of where they finish. That was an arrangement Bernie Eccelstone agreed to when he enticed Ferrari to come race in his newly created Formula 1.

Redbull won this year because of their strategy. Even look at how Max won pole in quali with the Checo draft. Lewis is an amazing driver but you can't beat Max on the last lap with beat hards vs. fresh softs.

He still has a position with the FIA. The race director function will now be split between two people - not sure if that's good or not.

If I didn't know any better I'd have thought the function was already split between Masi and Toto last year...

What I'm more curious about though is how F1 is going to handle the Russian GP that's still on the calender.

The whole F1 thing is becoming a very sad joke. Between the clowns at Liberty and a few overly egotistical team owners and drivers, it is no longer a fun experience. I'm really enjoying IndyCar and will get my racing enjoyment there, plus F2 and SportsCars which still are about racing and not crying and moaning. After 60+ years, its going to be strange not watching a full season for the first time. Just cannot stomach any more of the bellyaching and hypocritical back stabbing.

He still has a position with the FIA. The race director function will now be split between two people - not sure if that's good or not.
Ironic considering how everyone is calling for consistency in stewards and race directors!!!!! They have probably been hand selected by Toto and Lewis! And I am not kidding! I think those 2 have pushed the FIA and Liberty into a very tight corner with threatened legal action and this is probably the only way out for them without getting really bloodied in a long ugly battle..

The whole F1 thing is becoming a very sad joke. Between the clowns at Liberty and a few overly egotistical team owners and drivers, it is no longer a fun experience. I'm really enjoying IndyCar and will get my racing enjoyment there, plus F2 and SportsCars which still are about racing and not crying and moaning. After 60+ years, its going to be strange not watching a full season for the first time. Just cannot stomach any more of the bellyaching and hypocritical back stabbing.

That's basically what Juan Pablo Montoya said when he quit F-1.

Sad commentary. I've been following F1 since the 1960s. I won't stop now - it's still the technical pinnacle of auto racing. Bickering, cheating and such always happens in motorsport at every level. I know, I was involved both as a racer and crew chief for 30 years. I'm most interested in Moto-GP today - motorcycle racing is 80% rider, 20% bike. Formula 1 is 80% car, 20% driver.

I feel sad saying it. I have also been involved in racing for much of my life and agree it has always had its dark side. But the constant whining from the two top teams especially has reached a point where I just want to turn off.
So what did you race and crew chief? I spent my early years building FF cars (worked on the Merlyn 11a Emmo first drove when he came to Europe!) and wrenching on some cool machines including GT40,s, a Lola T70 and lots of Chevrons and BTCC cars. I drove FF, Autocross/rally cross, dragsters and some rallying.
I spent the past 30 years as an automotive Artist working for INDYCAR, IMSA, NASCAR and many of the top teams and drivers in those series. We owned the merchandise rights to many tracks and big races In those series too.
While I agree there has always been lots of BS it has never reached the pitch it is at in F1 right now.

So the paintings of earlier F1 cars you put on first page of this thread were yours, very cool.

You & Koop involved in racing. Also a modern Honda F1 engine guy. Interesting folks on this F1 thread.

I could draw from small kid time never took classes but always involved in one way or another. Airbrushing designs on surfboards in 1970's. Learning to carve ice that turned into a good side business mostly hotels in Waikiki.

Now retired trying oil painting. Was inspired by painting. The artist had passed away it was done with pallet knife. So bought a book on knife painting. Not doing it for money most my relatives and friends get my paintings. It's challenging keeps my mind going otherwise just watch TV all the time.
IMG_20220218_204424985.jpg

IMG_20220218_204711673.jpg

IMG_20220218_204855887.jpg

The top level moto gp bikes have gotten faster last decade hitting speeds over 200mph.

True. The Ducatis and Hondas had a massive straight line speed advantage, but skill, consistency and clever racecraft brought the championship to Fabio Quarteraro and Yamaha.

I feel sad saying it. I have also been involved in racing for much of my life and agree it has always had its dark side. But the constant whining from the two top teams especially has reached a point where I just want to turn off.
So what did you race and crew chief? I spent my early years building FF cars (worked on the Merlyn 11a Emmo first drove when he came to Europe!) and wrenching on some cool machines including GT40,s, a Lola T70 and lots of Chevrons and BTCC cars. I drove FF, Autocross/rally cross, dragsters and some rallying.
I spent the past 30 years as an automotive Artist working for INDYCAR, IMSA, NASCAR and many of the top teams and drivers in those series. We owned the merchandise rights to many tracks and big races In those series too.
While I agree there has always been lots of BS it has never reached the pitch it is at in F1 right now.

@mauichef - you were involved at a much higher level than me. I participated in SCCA, mostly at Holtville, California and NHRA at Carlsbad, CA, Orange County, CA and Pomona,CA when I was still a teen. I got into motorcycle road racing with WMRRA, OMRRA, WERA and CCS as a rider for about 20 years. Then I was crew chief for the G2 Moto CCS/AMA Roadracing team out of Phoenix, Arizona for three years.

Last edited:
Yamaha has rich racing history going back two stroke motors.

Sounds like you did a lot of motorcycle racing over the years.

Mazepin,,,, gone. Contract terminated with "immediate effect". Contract with Russian GP promoter also terminated.
Sponsor of Haas is a Russian chemical company whose owner is also Maze.spin's Dad. Inevitable and justified.

I'm wondering if Dany Kvyat will be forced out. He was with Alpine as a test driver(?) last year, and this year, I believe he's supposed to race in WEC (World Endurance Championship).

Guess I'm hooked on another sport🤪 watched a series of episodes on Netflix about F1 seasons I think from 2016. A lot of team & driver focus, so little more knowledge of different drivers still in it & those who are not.

Now new season here already with newly modified bodywork.

Last year wondered why Mercedes had been so dominate for so many years, then Red Bull Honda gave it a run to Championship.

Ferrari & Mclaren seemed pretty good but not at level of two top teams.

Then just making top ten Alfa Tauri & Alpine

Out of top ten Aston Martin. In the basement teams like Williams, Alfa Romeo, & worse Hass. After watching the Netflix series understand why some teams are out of the running. Makes you wonder how long they can compete before dropping out of F1 even for losing teams it's a lot of money & staff to keep it going. Esp. not bringing in the money like top teams.

Then the engines most used by teams Mercedes, then Ferrari. Two with Honda who knows how long that will last without Hondas full commitment to continued money and research on it's F1 engine. Renault only one team. Not in the running.

It's not new when Grand Prix had countries going against each other different engines ruled supreme. Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes silver arrows after WW2 Mercedes again & rise of Ferrari. 60's Lotus changed the game with rear engine double wishbone light weight low to the ground IMO best looking pure racecars ever😁.

Back