Anybody used Dalstrong?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Former employee of mine who seemed to like his dalstrong a good bit was saddened the day it fell off his cutting board and broke into 2 pieces. Does this happen a lot? Usually with a dropped knife I’d expect to deal with a chipped tip, but the blade broke into 2 pieces, the break was right above the heel.
I think you should buy a case of em and do a more scientific test.

Former employee of mine who seemed to like his dalstrong a good bit was saddened the day it fell off his cutting board and broke into 2 pieces. Does this happen a lot? Usually with a dropped knife I’d expect to deal with a chipped tip, but the blade broke into 2 pieces, the break was right above the heel.

I have seen a few Dalstrongs over the years. But I have never seen that. Sounds like a bad weld.

Not trying to disparage anyones opinion but the knowledge i seek is purely from hands on experience with this brand. That's very clear from the wording of the post.
I'v worked in busy kitchens for ten years and have spent thousands of hour's working with knives in a utilitarian sense. I have many knives that have been used as tools. They're scratched and not the best lookers but i keep them honed to razors edge.
I can see that there is much with Dalstrong that rings alarm bells for experienced Edge heads. I can see them too. But to be honest I thought this knife would look quite nice on my rack at home. But i also want to work with it from time to time too.
A 30 quid Vic Fibrox can be all the knife a Chef will need so why not a 85quid knife even if it is made in China.
So sorry to anyone who feels i shot down there opinions, I just really want to hear practical feedback (not amazon reviews) on this knife or brand negative or positive.
Oh snap! No. Really! That ought to be the feedback that fulfills your request: SNAP. There’s a reason Dahlstrong has been nicknamed “Dahlsnap.”

I've frequently questioned Dalstrong marketing tactics--never even considered buying one--disappointed that they are still around. Began with a Kai Seki Magoroku in Japan I still use 30 years ago, and appreciate the Shun experiments in cultural fusion Kai has carried out with help from owned affiliate Kershaw, and the work of pioneers Bob Kramer and Ken Onion. All the Shuns I've purchased and used have worked out well in my home kitchen --from Classic to Fuji to dual core. Slurring Dalstrong and Shun together is an unfortunate mistake.

Blade snaps is a common cause of bad reviews on Amazon for these. According to more than one review, not all of them even needed to be dropped on the floor or otherwise abused neither. No worries, Dalstrong might replace it with another one - well, perhaps you could be worried even about that. Better try and get a refund.

Another way to put it is if one day you decide to BST your Dalstrong here, people will probably require that you send THEM money alongside with the knife.

You can do better for the money. They are not bad , but they are grossly over priced for what you get .... That makes them not worth it imo..... Others will disagree. Some people ... Specifically ones who have not used a quality Japanese knife...... Will swear by them ..... Do what is best for you, but don't expect much love for them here

I’ve had this 14” Dalstrong ‘Gladiator’ for a-few years now.
I purchased it to only use on large roasts when I want an easy uniform cut.
The long stroke and cullens work very well.
I take it with me to dinners at friends and family to have to avoid watching them struggle with whatever slicer they have on hand. and the included saya makes it easy to carry, safely.
Sharp, well made, at it’s price point certainly a value.
Dalstrong must be doing something right because it’s sold out on the website.
https://dalstrong.com/products/gladiator-series-14-extra-long-slicer-Richard
BTW, after my Post, I did read the entire Thread.
Very disappointed in the comments that had nothing to do with experiences with actual Dalstrong knives.
I would not hesitate to purchase another Dalstrong if it met my needs!
IMG_6470.jpeg

Last edited:
I think how you evaluate something like Dalstrong depends a lot on your frame of reference. When I first got my set of cheap Chinese knockoff VG10 knives I thought they were the bees knees. A few years later after I got some better knives my perspective on them changed drastically.
The Dalstrongs aren't even that cheap though. 🤷‍♂️

I take it with me to dinners at friends and family to have to avoid watching them struggle with whatever slicer they have on hand. and the included saya makes it easy to carry, safely.
Very disappointed in the comments that had nothing to do with experiences with actual Dalstrong knives.
View attachment 294024
Look further down in the thread you will find lots of people with experience here, Victorinox sell one with basically same steel at $39

Another one incoming, this time another Tuo, I fear only testing the lower end Tuo would makes it quite biased, so I bought a higher end one. Some of you might find it familiar, because it is the same as the Dalstrong Shogun series. I’ve seen people say Dalstrong is made by Tuo, which is technically not true, both of them are manufactured by Tuobituo -https://www.tbt-gd.com/ , an large OEM in Yangjiang which mostly does export. This one cost around the half as the Dalstrong, tho they only sale it in China, I guess to avoid competition with their client. Interestingly Dalstrong claim their knife is 62 +HRC, but Tuo only claims 60+ or - 2.

Back to the knife, it is…ok. The grind is definitely not what enthusiasts want, but it could serve most common people, and much better than the ring series, there’s a pronounced blade road which could be used for some thinning. The full belly profile could cause some discomfort but depends on person, the balance is still handle heavy. For the price there’s better knives in China and aboard, like the Dongsun and JCK Kagayaki mentioned.
View attachment 250674View attachment 250675View attachment 250676View attachment 250677View attachment 250678

View attachment 294024
Thanks for your post and experiences. Although I'm neither a user nor a fan, Dahlstrong is now one of several Chinese product brands that have emerged independently from AliExpress and AMAZON on its own terms comparable to all other non Chinese home cook oriented providers. They're not cheap Chinese junk, and your experiences are valuable and worthwhile. Keep posting!

The main gripe with Dalstrong isn’t that are bad knives necessarily, it’s that it’s that they are average knives that are marketed as a premium product and priced accordingly.

The main gripe with Dalstrong isn’t that are bad knives necessarily, it’s that it’s that they are average knives that are marketed as a premium product and priced accordingly.
Honestly their VG10 are pretty bad in my experience… Aus10 not sure, need quite bit work out of the box. Dalstrong is actually Canadian, at least according to their site, getting OEMs from Tuobituo and sell them at stupid price

I have had an extensive collection of Wusthof knives for decades.
I settled on Wusthof because I wanted to have the same feel with all my knives and utensils. Wusthof makes a huge range of implements and after over 30 years I have been satisfied.
But for classical Japanese preparations, early on I realized I needed Japanese knives that were a cut above Wusthof. (Pun Intended)
So I first purchased a commercial Yanagiba 240mm from Yamasho but found it too short. So wanting the best that Japan has to offer and with zero Internet, I commissioned Murray Carter to broker the best that never makes it out of Japan at the time. Murray was studying in Japan at the time. Murray had Kinichi make me a 270mm Honyaki, Ebony/Ivory’Nickel Silver with decorated Ebony saya. A masterpiece I have had for over 30 years. But with time and skill improvements, learned by sitting at Sushi Bars with the best classically trained Japanese Chefs practicing in the USA at the time, my techniques gradually improved as well as my preference for a longer blade. Not wanting to pay the daunting price for another Kenichi, I commissioned Takeda Hamono to produce a 300mm Yanagiba, single bevel, which he finally delivered. I think it took an number of tries to get the blade he wanted as a few years ago, one of the retailers, found a few unfinished blades of the same type and length and had them finished.
My relationship with custom cutlery extends back to 1971 when I ordered my first customs.
I re-examined the 14” Dalstrong and found a superb edge for probably stamped blade but integral hilt. Fit of the tang and handle perfect, no sharp unfinished edges. Now I have custom long slicers from a number of Custom makers as well as Wusthof but they are all limited in length by their heat treating ovens length.
The Dalstrong at 14” was the longest that I found.
Now fit/finish aside. the thing just cuts!
EOT for me!
-Richard

Yeah Victorinox's website is trash and doesn't show half their products, you basically need to dig into their catalog.

https://viewer.zoomcatalog.com/victorinox-commercial-cutlery-2022-2023/
In both wood and fibrox handle version you can find slicers in 25, 30 and 36 cm.

I never found grand maitre series all that appealing; it's quite pricey, and having that full bolster is only a disadvantage for me since it's just annoying when sharpening.

I haven't bothered to dig into it but there's a good chance that both Wüsthof and Zwilling also have such longer versions in their professional catalogues. They just don't really clutter up their 'regular' websites with them because most normal consumers don't ever buy such a thing.

Misono also has a round tip slicer Misono Molybdenum Steel Series Special Slicer (300mm and 360mm, 2 sizes)
I wouldn't be surprised if Mac also has one in one of their lines.

“Wait what kind of handle and saya did the shiraki have?? And how about the Takeda? How did you get them ordered??

Ebony/Ivory/Nickel Silver handle and saya.
Takeda has Rosewood handle.
As I Posted, Murray Carter acted as a Broker while apprenticing in Japan for Shirikai and the Takeda was ordered face to face from Shosui at a Knife Show.
IMG_5140.jpeg
IMG_3327.jpeg

Last edited:
The referenced Dexter is a stamped blade and no integral handle!
I do have afew large Sani-Safe Dexsters for breaking down large animals. They work just fine and take a bleach soak with out worrying about them.

Last edited:
Again the referenced Victorinox has a stamped blade and the handle is not integral. It may cut just as well as the Dalstrong but the aesthetics in no way compare.

BTW same factory just their own brand
TUO Slicing Knife - 12 inch Slicing Carving Meat Cutting Knife - Bread Knife - German HC Steel - Full Tang Pakkawood Handle - BLACK HAWK SERIES with Gift Box Amazon.com

Back