Anybody used Dalstrong?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again the referenced Victorinox has a stamped blade and the handle is not integral. It may cut just as well as the Dalstrong but the aesthetics in no way compare.
They're all stamped. The Dalstrong, the Wüsthof, the Victorinox and the Zwilling.
The bolster is just slapped on later in the process. This is also true of most yo-handled knives from Japan. Very few people or smiths make truly integral bolsters in this day and age.
The big fat bolster is literally nothing but a marketing gimmick at this point.

This has to be a joke guys

What aesthetics?? What can you honestly say about that dalstrong is pleasing to the eyes. It looks like a $10 walmart knife...That horrible logo and the ugly grantons. At least one of those wusthoffs has a semi nice looking wood handle. I think you might be confusing length with aesthetically pleasing. I bet people who don't know any better are very impressed by a long blade though

They're all stamped. The Dalstrong, the Wüsthof, the Victorinox and the Zwilling.
The bolster is just slapped on later in the process. This is also true of most yo-handled knives from Japan. Very few people or smiths make truly integral bolsters in this day and age.
The big fat bolster is literally nothing but a marketing gimmick at this point.
Wusthof and Zwilling still have some drop forging stuff last I heard, but they don’t do much after forged to shape, shameful waste of good equipment

“The Dalstrong is also stamped and then welded to the handle, no drop forging in Tuibituo factory”

I studied the blade handle joint area under 10x magnification and could not find evidence of a joint. I do agree that the blade and handle at this price point are joined together. An etch might bring out the joint but Dalstrong has produced what I consider an exceptional knife both in beauty, performance and the well constructed saya for safe travel/handling is a bonus.
The Dexter and Victorinox are not in the same league as the Dalstrong.

How can you have had a 270mm Honyaki, Ebony/Ivory’Nickel Silver with decorated Ebony saya. A masterpiece you have had for over 30 years made by the best shashimi knife maker kenichi shiraki comissioned by Murray Carter and then be impressed by a rebranded $30 cheap, soft, crap factory made knife with an ugly lion stamped on it with a included 50 cent plastic sheath?

o_O

Wusthof and Zwilling still have some drop forging stuff last I heard, but they don’t do much after forged to shape, shameful waste of good equipment
Wüsthof:

Both videos show the relevant parts in the first minute.
Zwilling:

Also in the first few minutes.

On Japanese knives it's often welded and sometimes clamped but functionally it's all a wash.

“The Dalstrong is also stamped and then welded to the handle, no drop forging in Tuibituo factory”

I studied the blade handle joint area under 10x magnification and could not find evidence of a joint. I do agree that the blade and handle at this price point are joined together. An etch might bring out the joint but Dalstrong has produced what I consider an exceptional knife both in beauty, performance and the well constructed saya for safe travel/handling is a bonus.
The Dexter and Victorinox are not in the same league as the Dalstrong.
Yeah I think they are better in most regard

Who would win though?

The chad lion
lion.png

Or the lame bird?
bird.png

I know which one I would pick...

I do love those factory vids
Yea especially when they directly contradict their own 'forged knife is more better!' marketing BS. :)

As to handle construction; I think blade & handle will generally be a one-piece construction since it's probably easier and cheaper to just stamp or laser-cut it out in 1 piece than to try and weld a handle on it in this kind of industrial production. The steel is cheap anyway.

When it comes to aesthethics... it's hard to argue taste, but I find it hard to sympathize here given how they mostly just copied other company's homework... poorly.

Mostly I struggle to see how they're supposed to be 'a great deal'. You get entry level steel with mostly mediocre grinds from what I've seen, but the prices aren't that low at all.

Probably the same way many shops do it in Seki and Sakai. Definitly similar to how Robert Herder does it in Germany (they're also stamped). Nothing wrong with that, doesn't make a difference for quality of the blade. It's what you do after that (and what steel you start with) that makes the biggest difference.

Probably the same way many shops do it in Seki and Sakai. Definitly similar to how Robert Herder does it in Germany (they're also stamped). Nothing wrong with that, doesn't make a difference for quality of the blade. It's what you do after that (and what steel you start with) that makes the biggest difference.
It’s just misinformation on Dalstrong for ad them as forged, I love monosteel stuff and don’t have a problem with them

Yeah I don’t like Wusthof and in general most German stuff too… Robert Herder is ok tho, but very expensive for what they offer in US

To be honest tho if you like it no problem, slicers are less dependent on grind and steel anyway since they are used very little, it’s just for most other knives Dalstrong offer little value when you can buy much better stuff, for Chinese factory stuff best I tried is Dongsun Damascus VG10, impressive for the price, I have no problem recommending to other people, not Dalstrong

If you're also including pointy tipped and not just rounded, Misono goes up to 360 in just about any flavor.
With Wüsthof you have to check an actual distributor or with Wüsthof themselves because I know they have longer blades, but it's not something you see at your average shop. But they have for example chef knives in the 30cm+ range. But just like with Victorinox it's not something you really see on the consumer website or in your average store..

It’s just misinformation on Dalstrong for ad them as forged, I love monosteel stuff and don’t have a problem with them
Yeah this is one of my problems with Dalstrong too... their marketing is just filled with misinformation and half-truths and all their descriptions are just a collection of buzzwords aimed to take advatnage of people who have only half a clue about knives. Sadly this is how most of the 'new brands' are marketed (and admittedly, old brands like Wüsthof aren't innocent here either with all their 'forged knives are better' crap)
Yeah I don’t like Wusthof and in general most German stuff too… Robert Herder is ok tho, but very expensive for what they offer in US
Wüsthof has some advantages: they're indestructable, and if you want to build a set some of their bigger lines cover just about any shape and size of knife under the sun.
But yeah they are also way too expensive for what they are, massively overbuild, the grinds are crap, the profiles are crap, and the balance on a lot of them is way too far backwards.

Robert Herder is great; they're the best ground EU production knife, that actually cuts like crazy... but the prices have gone up a lot in the last few years. If they're already expensive here I can imagine the US prices are so high that they're competing in a price range where you can also get a lot of other really great knives.

Back