Asahi vs Hasegawa boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My finally decision is 60x30, my head chef told me to buy bigger one, otherwise will regrets because we handling a lots of big fish.

I mainly using fish on one side, vegetable on other side, if in home kitchen only can have one cutting board, can be use on raw meat, but make sure you wash really clean before using..

My finally decision is 60x30, my head chef told me to buy bigger one, otherwise will regrets because we handling a lots of big fish.

I mainly using fish on one side, vegetable on other side, if in home kitchen only can have one cutting board, can be use on raw meat, but make sure you wash really clean before using..

The 30 x 60 Hasegawa Brown PE is a great sized board for home use - it is becoming one of my favorites.

Can you get any bigger than 50x30 or 60x30 for home use though? I thought the next bigger size is generally 1 meter long and that is quite unwieldy.

Can you get any bigger than 50x30 or 60x30 for home use though? I thought the next bigger size is generally 1 meter long and that is quite unwieldy.
Yes you can get bigger board than 60x30, mtc got them, because i based in New Zealand, i get from china dealer, shipping much cheaper only cons is haved to wait.

For home use i think 60x30 enough?

60x30 is more than enough. You can comforable use 270mm knives and dice vegetables into separate mounds on the same board. And if you use a light wood like hinoki, you can just lift the entire board and push vegetables into what you are cooking without having to scoop anything.

You can get good boards direct from Japan, not sure why you'd need to go through a China dealer to buy them from New Zealand.

60x30 is more than enough. You can comforable use 270mm knives and dice vegetables into separate mounds on the same board. And if you use a light wood like hinoki, you can just lift the entire board and push vegetables into what you are cooking without having to scoop anything.

You can get good boards direct from Japan, not sure why you'd need to go through a China dealer to buy them from New Zealand.
I contact hasegawa director before, he told me haved to buy from dealer around the world, James from Australia don't do overseas shipping, MTC shipping nearly cost x2 board price, so far i found dealer from china don't charges me crazy shipping fee. 😁

Pics or it didn't happen...

20200912_211939.jpg

New 80x35cm brown. This will be the new main cutting board.

Are you sure, looks like yellow to me?

Edit: what article number did you buy?

View attachment 94269
I couldn’t decide between the two. So I didn’t.

Alongside two of my newest acquisitions. Munetoshi Honyaki 210, Dojo parer.
Have you had a chance to try both boards? I've been using the brown the last few days and am surprised how resilient it is to the abuse of sharp, hard JKnives. I still prefer the cutting experience on the end grain walnut but for 80% of the tasks the Hasegawa performs admirably.

Yea, I noticed that too when I posted the picture. Must be the lighting (3000k). It's browner in person.

Last edited:
For Hasegawa Polyethylene boards, the discussion of colour is an artefact of availability outside of Japan. In this thread, it is probably due to the 'brown' MTC Kitchen board?. If you look at the Hasegawa website, most boards are Polyethylene and a variety of colours are offered:

https://www.hasegawakagaku.co.jp/products/cookinggoods/other/price/
The rubber only comes in one colour.

I'll say it again. Yellow lights make non yellow things look....yellow.

Weird, why does it say “Hasegawa’s Commercial Grade // Soft Cutting Board, FSR Series” on your label, instead of “PE Cutting Board, Brown”? Maybe the lights in my room are too soft.

Weird, why does it say “Hasegawa’s Commercial Grade // Soft Cutting Board, FSR Series” on your label, instead of “PE Cutting Board, Brown”? Maybe the lights in my room are too soft.
Unknown.jpeg

Uh? I'm seeing "PE Cutting Board brown"

Have you had a chance to try both boards? I've been using the brown the last few days and am surprised how resilient it is to the abuse of sharp, hard JKnives. I still prefer the cutting experience on the end grain walnut but for 80% of the tasks the Hasegawa performs admirably.

Only very briefly so far. The yellow board is indeed softer, and you can feel it pretty immediately. All the reports of protein "grip" were accurate on my examples, and the yellow board was indeed the grippier of the two. I didnt have any issues with board bite on it either, but the knives that I used have spent some time away from the stones, and i am a home cook so volume is a factor i do not have to consider.

I also definitely prefer the experience on wood, but i agree on your ~80%. The one caveat i would include is that, I would NEVER pick up a plastic board for anything other than for protein use, or if my wood boards were dirty or in use. With these i could see myself foregoing grabbing the wood board for ease of use.

Still haven't spent enough time with them but i have not yet felt like i should have gone bigger than 60cm x 30cm. They are a perfect size for me at home, so far.

Does anyone else also have the experience that you need to push harder on the knife with proteins on the yellow board, as opposed to a harder board?

Somehow I end up with several cuts which aren't fully through, I think due to the texture of the board. It's a layer thinner than a tomato skin which remains attached, almost like a film.

Fwiw, it’s kind of great that veg slides off the brown board so easily. I slid some minced garlic off and was shocked that there weren’t little bits left over.

Only very briefly so far. The yellow board is indeed softer, and you can feel it pretty immediately. All the reports of protein "grip" were accurate on my examples, and the yellow board was indeed the grippier of the two. I didnt have any issues with board bite on it either, but the knives that I used have spent some time away from the stones, and i am a home cook so volume is a factor i do not have to consider.

I also definitely prefer the experience on wood, but i agree on your ~80%. The one caveat i would include is that, I would NEVER pick up a plastic board for anything other than for protein use, or if my wood boards were dirty or in use. With these i could see myself foregoing grabbing the wood board for ease of use.

Still haven't spent enough time with them but i have not yet felt like i should have gone bigger than 60cm x 30cm. They are a perfect size for me at home, so far.
The Hasegawa Brown gives me the ability to move produce around the kitchen and is far more amenable to cleanup. The walnut endgrain is big, thick and heavy and can't be moved to the sink, let alone put in the dishwasher. From a practicality point of view, the Hasegawa has earned its place in this home kitchen.

Latest posts

Back