Assessing Interest in Henkels-Kramer Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few notes: It's first going to Mrmnms because he is helping supply one of the knives and then to Chris because he is doing the giveaway work that he does. Will try to send the knife out to Canada myself at the end as shipping will be the costliest and there is always customs to deal with

Could someone please ask K-Fed to send me his mailing address?

Ben

I am more than happy to supplement the northern shipping as well.

I will be contacting Canada Customs, they are trying to charge me over $87 in customs fee's, worst case scenario they will be marked return to sender and will be coming back your way. I have never been hit with customs for something like this before :( I will be calling them tomorrow on my lunch break.

Sorry guys :( I just can't afford $87 in customs and then shipping costs to next person to just try out a couple super awesome knives, might be different if I was buying them and I got a really good price on them. Even then I have hard time paying customs fee's to the greedy government.

*edit*
Oh when I saw the package it had been ripped open by customs and had yellow customs tape ALL over it, I hope those heavy handed bastards didn't damage the blades.

Customs blows. They damaged some vintage MTB parts when they ripped open a package I was shipping to Mexico. Still hasn't been resolved, its been 7 months

I only have the 6 inch Meiji. I really like it. If you'd like to give it a try , let me know Marc.

I have the 8" Meiji, very big fan of it. Love the handle. Had the 8" ZK Damascus but ended up returning it several months later. Gots to love SLT's return policy! The Damascus was nice, but paled in comparison to the carbon. Thanks for the offer!

Do you know what the contents are? You're on the list next for the Glestain, not the Kramers. The Kramers are on my counter as we speak. Just got it Monday night. The Glestain looks like it's at customs. Can we confirm it came from me?

this is infact not the kramers it is the glestain, i just posted over in that thread :/ this sucks I just went to the post office to confirm its contents

Do you possibly have a trusted friend in Seattle who can receive it and then get it to you directly?

I have the 8" Meiji, very big fan of it. Love the handle. Had the 8" ZK Damascus but ended up returning it several months later. Gots to love SLT's return policy! The Damascus was nice, but paled in comparison to the carbon. Thanks for the offer!
marc4pt0, I've Shun 8" Meiji & ZK 52100; but, never try ZK sg2 Damascus! I'm curious why you returned ZK sg2 Damascus but keeping/love your Shun Meiji Damascus?:scratchhead: do you think Shun Meiji Damascus has better f/f & performance than ZK sg2 Damascus??

Nah, the ZK Damascus blade itself is a much better body of work than the shun. The Shun handle however takes the win between the two. But comparing the ZK SG2 vs the carbon, the SG2 was noticeably thicker on the spine and slightly thicker behind the edge. It was a fantastic performer, don't get me wrong, but in the end it just didn't make sense for me to keep it.I always reached for the carbon instead. The micarta handle has a MUCH better finish than that of the carbon's, but after I took to sanding and evening out the wood/rivets/spine the carbon handle became more pleasant to use.
I'm kind of a Kramer knock-off enthusiast, having at least one knife from all the runs thus far. Would have loved keeping the ZK SG2,but...

Also, I got the Shun off the Bay, so there was no returning it, and returning the ZK yielded more $$ so I could afford my Shig!

thanks!! that's exactly what I'm feel/think about Shun Kramer & ZK 52100 & sg2!!
Nah, the ZK Damascus blade itself is a much better body of work than the shun. The Shun handle however takes the win between the two. But comparing the ZK SG2 vs the carbon, the SG2 was noticeably thicker on the spine and slightly thicker behind the edge. It was a fantastic performer, don't get me wrong, but in the end it just didn't make sense for me to keep it.I always reached for the carbon instead. The micarta handle has a MUCH better finish than that of the carbon's, but after I took to sanding and evening out the wood/rivets/spine the carbon handle became more pleasant to use.
I'm kind of a Kramer knock-off enthusiast, having at least one knife from all the runs thus far. Would have loved keeping the ZK SG2,but...

Also, I got the Shun off the Bay, so there was no returning it, and returning the ZK yielded more $$ so I could afford my Shig!

Off they go tomorrow. There's no arguing they're both aesthetically beautiful knives. Both take a great edges and hold it. I don't think I detected a significant difference after using them side by side for a week, but time will tell. Maybe less important for a home user like me as far as edge holding. I prefer the shape and weight of the Henkels Kramer to the Shun. I also like the treatment of the heel on the Henkel. Although larger, it is balanced, lighter and slightly better finished. The Shun handle is larger, some may say too large . I'm more than ok with large handles. I found food release a little better in the Shun.
I've had the Shun since it was first available. I haven't experienced the microchiping some owners talk about. It looks and feels pretty much like the day I got it as a gift ( maybe a little sharper :D) I like the look of the Damascus .
The Henkel is very sexy with the brass ferrule . You do notice the pins do stick out on the handle a little.If I only had one real knife, I could be very happy with either of these, although I have a personal reference for stainless or stainless clad over carbon. But I have other knives I would reach for first in my kitchen.
Thank you Piton for the opportunity and first shot.

can we get a pic of the Shun that's being used, as I've seen a different variation of the Shun Kramer I once onwned, most notabely in the handle.

photo(10).jpg
can we get a pic of the Shun that's being used, as I've seen a different variation of the Shun Kramer I once onwned, most notabely in the handle.

View attachment 14911 Unpacked it for you. Tang is exposed only on the bottom.

I got these a few days ago. An expert packing job, I might add.
Sooooooooooooo........
.....I'm really enjoying the Zwilling. I took both knives to work with me the 1st day to do a side by side assessment. The Shun is fine, not a bad cutter at all. However, yes all the Shun rumors are true. This thing has got more chips than a family-size bag of Lay's. I only used it on a sani-board with soft-ish veggies too.
I'm going to try to put a micro-bevel on it to remedy the situation, but until then it's staying at home.
I like the fit and feel of the Zwilling. Yes, the rivets do stick up a little-but it doesn't bother me. I would hope to own of these babies some day. It's as close as I'll ever come to owning a Kramer.
I'll post a little more after some more action.
Thanks for the passaround to everyone involved. This forum(STILL) rules!!!

hmmm...you have a lot of toys to play with right now :)

Having more than 1 pass a round show up at your door the same week is a love/hate thing. Not enough time for a thorough work out for either. But you are like a kid in a candy store too.

After typing this I realised chinacats has more than pass a rounds to work with. :)

Kramer's have shipped. Highly unusual knives, thanks for the opportunity. Both very nice, but not for me. Must say though that I never would have had a chance to try them if not for this passaround. Thing I enjoyed the most was the cut of the heel on the Zwilling. Off to K-Fed next. Thanks!

Got the knives today... Time to think of something to cook. I'm on vacation for the next 6 days so I probably won't get to use them at work but I'll figure something out.

First impressions: much thicker at the spine than I expected it would be, not a bad thing, my early run dt itk is my favorite gyuto and they are very similar as far as that goes. I touched up the edge on chosera 5k raising ever slight of a burr and finishing on my light nakayama karasu. The steel feels very very nice on the stones. Very buttery, and very similar to my misono swede. It also took a very nice hair popping edge quickly, I guess it's to be expected though from a well done carbon like 52100. While not my first experience with the steel, I had a r!chm0nd fanatic in 52100 briefly, the kramer felt very different and much more user friendly. The Kramer is also much taller than I'm used to, though not enough so that it felt awkward to use. The edge profile is nice, quite sab like so I'm good there. I did feel like the salad fixings that I cut, radishes, cucs, and onion did stick a little more than I expected. Overall however, I could defineatly see rocking out one of these in a pro setting. It has far more positive things going for it than negative.

Sharpened the Henkel and shipped the knives out today. Should make it to little rock in a couple days. I only used the zk and ill post more later as I'm at my girls place and on my phone.

They arrived this afternoon. I did a quick unpack to verify that everything arrived as expected, then popped them in the RV for the trip out tomorrow. Going to be the sharpest RV in america for the next few weeks!

Both of them are very aesthetically pleasing...will find something big to turn into something small in the next couple of days.

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay. I'm getting this in the mail to Crothcipt today.

The F+F on these was very good. The handles on both were much better than I'd expect by just looking. The belly on the Shun is just ridiculous though, I can't see how anybody would be OK with that in a pro environment...I'm surprised Ken Onion isn't suing for someone stealing his profile.

The Henckel's had a bit too much belly for me, but the extra height gave it a surprisingly pleasant heft. I'm not sure I'd pay the asking price for it, but I wouldn't mind using it occasionally.

This made it in the post today. I'll be more dilligent about getting passarounds out on time in the future.

Lol. I hope they enjoyed the trip as much as u did.

:bliss:

Lol. I hope they enjoyed the trip as much as u did.

:bliss:

Well, everyone I met along the way had the chance to check them out....the uniformity of the responses was surprising...well, not really :)

They certainly got an extra bit of a trip...4k extra :)

Well they got a couple hundred extra miles the last couple weeks. I didn't let others know my new address, so they were in post office purgatory until today, when I picked them up.

The Zwilling became mine before I even opened up the box. There was about a half inch sticking out of the box, that ended up sticking the palm of my left hand. It looks like it was lucky and no damage was received.

Haven't taken a look a good look at them yet.

Sent these out on wed. Should arrive on mon., if they didn't yesterday. I'll post my thoughts later tonight.

Latest posts

Back