Assessing Interest in Henkels-Kramer Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pink note in my mail box, yesterday, so I bet the knives are what I'll be picking up tomorrow.

I tried both knives on a few things, used them on the line just to see how they would feel with some use. My first reaction was that each one felt like a skinning/hunting knife. The Hinkel was very heavy for all day use. I also found that there was very little room for a flat spot if you didn't want to rock, which was more usable than the Shun.

I used the Hinkel to make a stew, and got a little reaction on the onions, turning some brown very fast. It had no problem with anything I threw at it, very comfy handle.

Not much else I can report using them for, busy season is done for us until next summer. I did like the looks of both knives, just like the looks of the Shun better. I didn't like the geometry of either one tho. I think if I got either knife over a year ago I would have been extremely happy. But having used so many knives, and bought others that make these 2 pale in comparison. I think my idea of what a good/great cutter is slightly jaded anymore. I don't even want to go into what they cost compared to what you get.

Thank you Pitonboy (and who ever offered the Shun) for allowing me to try these guys out. 1 grand saved there.

The knives got here okay. I would say, Crothcript, that the reason you had issues with the flat spot on the Zwilling is because there isn't a flat spot: there is a hole in the edge about 3 inches long, from the heel to the midpoint. The knife is also a pig, towards the heel. Looks like somebody, or several somebodies, had a lot of fun using this for cinder block practice. I'll fix the profile, but I'm not sure if Ben wants me to fix the piggishness. I've only held these in stores (where I have tested the profile for holes and mis-grinds, and have never found any, particularly), and and thus I'm not super versed with the geometry. The Henckels seems like a very nice knife, other than the mis-grind that was applied to it. I really like the distal taper.

As modeled by my wife, on my dead flat shapton glass stone:

click for full size.

That would be a lovely flat spot in the blade, if it made contact with your board.

Here are tip and choil pics. I sincerely doubt that the heel was like this when it was sent out. I've only seen these new, but they are pretty darn thin behind the edge, OOTB. The tip is bent, I don't think I can do much about that, but in person you can really tell how much sharpening has changed the geometry on the blade by looking at the tip. It's very strange, now.

click both for access to full size images.

I'm glad I only stropped on felt. Even with out the hole, there just doesn't seem to be much room at all for the flat spot. I'm sure if I had it for another week I would have figured out the hole.

The blade is half flat spot, in a non-messed up state. The way it is now, there is no flat spot.

On my Kramer-Z, the flat area goes from the heel to about an inch before the knife tapers up.

About a half inch above the edge, you can see where the taper begins. On my Kramer the taper to the edge is smooth. It appears to be a very skinny triangle. The posted image, it appears that the edge is a triangle sitting on top of the taper, instead of blending in with it.

I hope this helps.

Jay

As modeled by my wife, on my dead flat shapton glass stone:

click for full size.

That would be a lovely flat spot in the blade, if it made contact with your board.

Ouch. Hope its not too much to fix.

Ouch. Hope its not too much to fix.

It's a minutes work to fix the hole, but that messes up the geometry even more. I've PM'ed Ben about it. I'm happy to fix it, but the finish will never be the same. Then again, all knives need to be thinned, if they are used, and carbon is more forgiving than stainless, but a country mile.

pitonboy has them back, due to the condition the Henckels-Kramer was in when I received it.

Hopefully he got it at SLT and can just return for a new one.

No, its fixed. Have a PM out to JMAdams to see if he still wants it; if he doesnt, then JMac would be next

Back