Best steel for a Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking to acquire (another) Nakiri.

I realize there is much more than steel type but I’m open to more input tjan just steel type.

I will be using it at home on the normal produce witj an emphasis on onions & potatoes.

I am looking for thin with great edge retention

Thanks for all suggestioos!

My 2c - not really best steel for a Nakiri generally but Nakiri a with excellent and well treated steel that’s suitable for Nakiri shape and tasks. Hado blue 1 Nakiri on sale at chefs edge for next 18 hours or so for $458 AUD ($300USD). You’ll love it if you’re ok with a very fine edge and have a good push / pull technique. Otherwise Tetsujin b2 is more forgiving in terms of grind and steel.

great edge retention
I personally think with good technique and a forgiving cutting board you can get away with most steels but
if you chop a lot (high impact) I would choose something tough (as previously mentioned): 52100 or AEB-L as a stainless alternative.
Both have good enough edge retention for home use and 52100 is relatively forgiving when it comes to acidic vegetables and ingredient. (in comparison with something like white steel and other low alloy steels at least.)
There are many more options though. Numbers ain´t everything but you can have a look at this well done research to give you an idea:
Knife Steels Rated by a Metallurgist – Toughness, Edge Retention, and Corrosion Resistance

I have a nakiri from @Knot Handcrafted in 52100 and it is all that I hoped for.
I am not a trained chef and sometimes am ruthlessly chopping away with that knife.
Never had any issues, it just performs and is easy to sharpen and maintain.
This is with edge-grain cutting boards BTW. End-grain-boards should give even more edge retention.
And remember that edge geometry will be a very deciding factor too that you can adjust yourself.
If I would eat more tomatoes I might have chosen AEB-L as these are pretty acidic and quickly deteriorate non-stainless edges.

You also don´t want a flat grind and too thin a knife, as that will wedge easily in dense vegetables.
Look for something with a good convex grind that is "thin enough".
@MSicardCutlery , @Knot Handcrafted could make you a well ground custom in those steels.

You should really use this:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/new-knife-questionnaire.63548/

That will help us all give you better answers that more suit what you're after.

Don't worry about steel type. Some will say to avoid the common paper steels, especially shirogami as they supposedly dull too fast with acidic ingredients. To that I say, bah. As long as you do some edge maintenance, which you should be doing on any steel type, it's fine. The majority of mine are in the aogami family.

Several of mine come from here:
https://knifejapan.com/knife-types/nakiri/

Nothing fancy, just performance-forward knives.

20240303_122247.jpg

IMHO steel choice for a nakiri isn’t really any different than steel choice for a gyuto. Personally, I don’t care about steel choice at all, unless there’s a specific steel I want to try out (which there isn’t at the moment).

My only consideration with steel is onions, which give an ugly brown patina to carbon steels and practically everything I cook includes onions. I give all my carbon steels a coffee soak so I don’t have to see onion patina but ymmv.

Anyway, I have nakiris in white 2, AEB-L, and 1.2419 and they’re all pretty wonderful.

Perhaps a separate consideration might be food release since you cut a lot of potatoes. An s-grind works great for that, but there’s also plenty of other grinds like convex that have good food release as well.

BTW that @Knot Handcrafted nakiri for $265 looks like a freaking steal.

Just get a Shindo. It is Blue #2 steel and under $100 if you can find one. Be patient, they do come available. Buy one when you find one. They sell out quickly. Great steel, Great grind, Great value. And a real joy to use!

Last edited:
I am curios about a reactive cladding. I like the idea. I’m a home cook so the extra care is not an issue, in fact, the extra care is part of the allure.

Once the core steel gets a good patina it is not an issue. Until then it can be frustrating. Onions all turned brown until the patina developed for me. It was frustrating at first but worth it. Now it's not a concern.

Okay, any mention of TF always garners a response. I bought my first nakiri about a month ago from JCK - a FRKZ white #1, which is a rebranded TF Nashiji. I liked it so much, I'm waiting on a TF Maboroshi nakiri I ordered. It's not the steel, it's the treatment. His white #1 is a joy - it may not have the edge retention of AS, but it's more than good enough for a home cook and it hits an amazing sharpeness level with little effort.

Last edited:
Okay, any mention of TF always garners a response. I bought my first nakiri about a month ago from JCK - a FRKZ white #1, which is a rebranded TF Nashiji. I liked it so much, I'm waiting on a TF Maboroshi nakiri I ordered. It's not the steel, it's the treatment. His white #1 is a joy - it may not have the edge retention of AS, but it's more than good enough for a home cook and it hits an amazing sharpeness level with little effort.
Just checked them, seems they got new KU iron clad, I remember they used to only carry stainless clad. Very tempting

If you're really looking for edge retention, tungsten allied carbon steels may be interesting if we'll heat treated. That leads you to apex ultra, 1.2442 and 1.2519 for instance as well as aogami super if I'm not mistaking.
Just my one penny opinion 😬

Back