Best wood/material for kitchen knife handles and why

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Same question as topic.
What do you think is the best wood or material to be used for kitchen knife handles and why?
I have been trying different type of wood and materials to make knife handles; some looks fancy but the grip is just not there.
Will love to get some feedback from both Pro users and makers.

Thanks

Let me be the first out of one hundred people to say burnt chestnut. Nice texture, grippy when wet, not too heavy, and attractive to look at.
I have been wanting to try one (and make one) for the longest time.
Do you know by chance why Burnt Chestnut work so well (Grippy when wet with nice texture)?
Is it because is burnt or because is Chestnut? Or combination of both?
For example if Burnt maple wood would it also increase grippy when wet?

I have been wanting to try one (and make one) for the longest time.
Do you know by chance why Burnt Chestnut work so well (Grippy when wet with nice texture)?
Is it because is burnt or because is Chestnut? Or combination of both?
For example if Burnt maple wood would it also increase grippy when wet?

I assume the burning exaggerates the grain, but I don’t have any samples of unburned chestnut to compare to. I know someone on here has burned ho at some point, and I don’t remember theirs turning out super textured, so perhaps it is a combination of the wood and the technique. I’ll let someone with more direct experience chime in here, though.

I think burnt chestnut is similar to oak; the late and early growth that forms the yearly rings in the tree burns at a different rate is my guess.

Charred and brushed oak:
BX2CZh1h.jpg

Run a MAPP torch over the wood until you're happy with the color, brush until no more junk/ash comes off, then treat with teak oil, BLO, or similar. Tape off what you don't want burnt. Keep your torch moving so you'll get an even char.

I always feel like I have to be super careful with wood handles to avoid cross-contamination. So, I'd say micarta or pakkawood, but they're comparatively heavy.

I always feel like I have to be super careful with wood handles to avoid cross-contamination. So, I'd say micarta or pakkawood, but they're comparatively heavy.
If the wood you are using is stabilized or oiled/polished well. You shouldn't have problems with cross-contamination. But for sure like you said, some type of wood do better than others.

What the best wood? I guess you can also ask what’s the best metal, grind or knife. The answers will vary wildly.

If you are looking for grippy, not only consider the wood but also the abrasives and sealer - 320 grit is grippier than 800. For grippiness, some come to mind to differing degrees that haven’t been mentioned - walnut, olive wood, pheasant wood, Wenge, bog oak, osage orange, leopardwood, and yew are some.

if I was going to pick my favorites: Koa, ironwood, rosewoods (esp Cocobolo), Amboyna burl, HRB, pheasantwood, walnut, masur birch, Gidgee...damn, I can keep going

Funny timing, I see CKC just posted a burnt Osage orange handle. Anyone know who makes their handles, I always like chatting with other makers.

Funny timing, I see CKC just posted a burnt Osage orange handle. Anyone know who makes their handles, I always like chatting with other makers.
I believe Craig of CKC make his own handles

What do you think is the best wood or material to be used for kitchen knife handles and why?

masur birch.
its good to work and plenty strong when finished. takes oil very good.
it also looks very good. what more do you need really?

runner up, for me at least, is turkish walnut.

vintage rosewood, Ebony, Cocobolo and olive wood are my favourite. Teak handle is also nice even though not that attractive, Walnut could be hit and miss.

I don't like Ho wood and Burned Chestnut, too light and seems like chestnut texture is where the pathogen lives.

Where do micarta and G-10 rank from the maker perspective?

Rosewood and Wenge - realistically within J-knives market.

Ebony can be awesome - although I have in mind better balance with some knives more than a care for the material itself. Yet the material can be awesome too, and still quite realistic of a J-knives perspective.

@HSC /// Knives bog oak. - anytime, over most of anything, In general also prefer monopiece. Shi.Han's Mora is great too. Custom makers have the handle material nailed down more properly, so anyone would claim custom makers they experienced. Especially with a more custom handle.

Against similarly priced market, Ittetsu KU mono walnut is never perfect OOTB but one worth the efforts on it every single time. I'm really surprised so few such equipped J-knives have emerged yet - it can't be costly if it's used with these Ittetsu, I've seen them around elsewhere so they're not unique, they're solid and can be made nice while being easy enough on maintenance. Better than 95% Ho handles, and then some more walnut/pakka and cherry/pakka and whatnot.

Back