Brian Hanson passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Matt Jacobs and I are organizing a passaround for Brian Hanson. Knife will be a 210mm in 52100 from his “Standard Line” which is a lower-cost line with a more robust grind (versus his customs) intended for both pros and home cooks.

Brian’s not well-known on this forum but his standard line is a great value and nice daily driver - I have a 180 that he made a little extra thin for me and it and my Birgersson 210 are the two knives I always default to using. @Matt Jacobs also has some of Brian’s higher end knives that he’s impressed with.

Post if interested along with city and state and I’ll try to optimize the order for geography. Sorry international folks - planning to keep this US-only for now.

Usual terms - about one week to play with the knife before sending it along. Write a post with your comments/feedback. Sharpen on the way in if it needs it, not on the way out. Participants are responsible for insured shipping ($275 value) to the next person in line. Brand new members (as in, signed up last week with 1 post) might not be selected.

Here’s Brian’s IG
https://instagram.com/brianhansonknives?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
List as of March 2:
  1. @crockerculinary NorCal
  2. ➡️@xsmx13 NorCal (CURRENT TESTER)
  3. @tostadas NorCal
  4. @ch_br SoCal
  5. @blokey SoCal
  6. @Malcolm Johnson UT
  7. @pcs-abc PA
  8. @brimmergj VT
  9. @Justinv NY
  10. @Up_dog128 NC
  11. @Jville FL

Last edited:
Thank you to @Delat for putting this on, I am excited for more people to try Brian's work.
Like he said I have owned a couple of his custom/higher end knives and I am a big fan. My first was a Nakiri in 52100 off of his webstore. I then worked with him on a custom wrought iron clad in house damascus knife with live edge handle.. His nakiri is the best I have ever used. The dimensions and thinness worked really well for me. I actually ended up trading both of those knives to another maker for a custom knife. I didnt plan on getting rid of them but I think its awesome when knife makers want to try knives from other makers so I went for it. A couple of weeks ago I picked up this rainbow damascus clad V-toku2 chef from him and this is a laser. I have not tried his standard line yet and I know they are a bit thicker than my normal preference but his profiles and heat treat are fantastic so I have no hesitation in promoting them as the price is fantastic and they would be great in a professional setting or a good starting point for thinning. He's also a great guy and I was able to take my kids up to his shop for a couple hour tour and lots of knife discussion. He was a chef prior to knife making which I think really helps and shows in his product.
I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and glad to answer any questions or reach out to Brian for anyone.

1675261558828.png

1675261590812.png

I'm interested if there's still space. I'm located in the Sacramento, Ca area.

I've been curious about his knives. Thanks for putting this together!

Gotcha right after @crockerculinary - maybe you can even pick it from his store in person after he’s done.

Brian’s working on the knife now and should be ready to start the passaround by early next week.

Just stopping by to say thank you all for participating in this passaround! Can't wait to hear everyone's opinions on the knife. Feel free to ask me questions on my process, I try my best to be as transparent as possible.

Thanks again,
Brian

Just stopping by to say thank you all for participating in this passaround! Can't wait to hear everyone's opinions on the knife. Feel free to ask me questions on my process, I try my best to be as transparent as possible.

Thanks again,
Brian
I'm excited for the opportunity to take this for a spin. What were some of the primary cost saving measures that differentiate the "budget" line from your "normal" ones?

Hey folks was just about to update. Sorry for the delay, unfortunately I just came down with Covid for the first time on Tuesday (was scheduled to pass off on Wednesday) and I’ve been getting my ass kicked for the last few days. Seems like I’m out of the woods and getting better, but I don’t want to pass around this along with the knife. Speaking to the @xsmx13 about getting it handed off now. Apologies again for the delay and lack of communication.

Hey folks was just about to update. Sorry for the delay, unfortunately I just came down with Covid for the first time on Tuesday (was scheduled to pass off on Wednesday) and I’ve been getting my ass kicked for the last few days. Seems like I’m out of the woods and getting better, but I don’t want to pass around this along with the knife. Speaking to the @xsmx13 about getting it handed off now. Apologies again for the delay and lack of communication.

Damn that sucks, happy to hear you’re feeling better.

edit: Quick update, Crocker was doing an in-person handoff to the next person. It’s best if they wait until Crocker tests negative, so the passaround will be delayed a week or so.

Last edited:
Evening All,

Quick update, picked up the knife from @crockerculinary this afternoon. Gonna do some light side-by-side comparison with a couple other knives that I still haven't really put to use (along with one known entity that doesn't see as much use as her spicy white sibling) tonight before I can do a fuller meal prep later this week.

Cheers,
Gabriel

IMG20230227190426.jpg

Latest posts

Back