Cigars and coffee....OH YEAH

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my knowledge this is the cheapest source of authentic SA Habanos cigars online, and an amazing selection to boot. The main reason why they are so inexpensive is they are located on a Mohawk reserve in Ontario and not subject to Canadian taxation on tobacco products:

www.cigarchief.com

They also have a delivery guarantee for those of you in the US. If you don't get your shipment, they resend it!

Cigars and coffee are great, unfortunately I don't have the time or place to enjoy a cigar nearly often enough these days. Cigars led me to pipes, which became a bigger hobby than cigars once were. A pipe and tea is also a good pair. You have inspired me to dig through the humidor for something good to end this week.

Get a Bodum press pot, the best choice in my opinion.

Im a pipe and tea guy myself. Favorite tobacky being the HH Matured Virginia. Favorite tea being the Midnight Blue. The best deal I have found on the tea is $32 shipped for a lb from nmteaco . com . I have been smoking my lb of HHMV for about a year and a half now.

Oh yeah, and cant forget the Lapsang Souchong...its a smoked tea, and it great to drink, but also to use to smoke meats. Cheers.

The top of the line Cuban stuff across the board is the equal of the top 5% of the non-Cuban stuff like Opus and the high end Padron lines. They are that good when made properly. When the factories that make the Cohiba and Tinidad lines and the large size premium cigars for the other top lines are on their A game, nobody is better. I would say that the folks who work at the top factories for Fuente are as good at their jobs as the senior rollers at Cuban factories like El Laguito and La Corona. The Padron guys are probably as good as their Cuban counterparts when it comes to making box pressed premium cigars. The EARLY Dominican Davidoff stuff was so good as to make you think that maybe Zino didn't burn all of his leftover Cuban stock in protest and rebanded some of it. LOL. It slipped a bit after that IMO. With that said, EVERYBODY, Cuba included, makes cheap stuff too. The typical nasty little cigarillo that you get in Spain likely made with sweepings from the floor of some barn in Pinar Del Rio just like the stuff you get over here is made from floor sweepings from Kentucky, North Carolina, Connecticut or Nicaragua.:doublethumbsup: As for woth it, the one problem that many of us run into (unless you buy from the Mohawks) is that a lot of the countries that get the really premium Cuban lines (Spain IS Montecristo. The brand was invented for their market and they still get the majority of them) have ridiculously high "sin taxes" The UK is the worst offender that I have seen, but I hear Canada is bad too. I think that I paid over 30 pounds for a Trinidad in 2007 in London. The best way to get Cubans and know that they are real may at the airport duty free shops in places like Switzerland, but that doesn't help us.
So are Cubans really worth it, or has their stock risen due to the fact that they're forbidden to US citizens?

Interesting. Some moderately priced, some outrageous, but I guess that is relative. I suspect that the ones with crazy prices like the Montecristo A for $55 Can are going to be even more stupidly priced in other places!!!!:bigeek:
To my knowledge this is the cheapest source of authentic SA Habanos cigars online, and an amazing selection to boot. The main reason why they are so inexpensive is they are located on a Mohawk reserve in Ontario and not subject to Canadian taxation on tobacco products:

www.cigarchief.com

Cubans are too rich for my blood at this stage in my life, perhaps another time. Since I've been back in the cigar game, I have really been enjoying the El Triunfador line from Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) as well as the Old Henry line from Holts, which is blended by the same guy who rolls Pete Johnson's cigars, Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Of course, Arturo Fuente 858 maduro's never disappoint either, and they can be found for $102 a box and age well to boot.

P.S. Thanks again to those that recommended Red Bird coffee, I have been enjoying their espresso blend now for the last month black with some sugar! Great flavor and a perfect match for a morning cigar!

I really like the various French presses I have used, but last year I returned to the coffee pot of my childhood and will never go back. My father has used a Chemex pot for as long as I can remember and buying one has been revelatory. It may just be a Proustian taste of childhood, but it makes the strongest, yet cleanest tasting coffee I have ever had. Living in an international port and having a girlfriend that runs a FT coffee shop helps with the quality too. That also brings a lot of cigar action in here but I recently quit smoking cigarettes and the temptation of cigars would be too much.

Pete there are some fairly respectable smaller cigars on that Canadian site for what would work out to about $175 for a box of 25. which is not bad these days.
Cubans are too rich for my blood at this stage in my life, perhaps another time. Since I've been back in the cigar game, I have really been enjoying the El Triunfador line from Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) as well as the Old Henry line from Holts, which is blended by the same guy who rolls Pete Johnson's cigars, Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Of course, Arturo Fuente 858 maduro's never disappoint either, and they can be found for $102 a box and age well to boot.

P.S. Thanks again to those that recommended Red Bird coffee, I have been enjoying their espresso blend now for the last month black with some sugar! Great flavor and a perfect match for a morning cigar!

Did some one say Monte Cristo and Trinidad?

M-Cristo-1.jpg

The only Trinadad I've had were the Fundadores. Awesome smoke. Very smooth but a small ring gauge especially compared to a MonteCristo #2 or Bolivar Belicosos fino.

Dave

Trinidad's are one of my favorite smokes from the little island. Definitely one that I will smoke in heaven everyday.

I think we need a KKF charter flight to Havana. :bliss:
Coffee, smokes, cuban sandwiches, rum, more rum....

Dave

Having been their in 2000, unless things have changed, the thing that our local friends loved most that we brought them were the big bags of rice from Louisiana, beans from Florida, gallons of Mazola cooking oil and Disney videos for their kids. I don't know if I saw a Cuban sandwich down there. That may be a Tampa/Miami thing. The best meal I had in Cuba other than the ones we made on the boat was at our friends house. It kind of the typical Miami style meal that I was used to.....palomilla steak, black beans, white rice, bread, etc. The funny part is that the beans and rice were ones that we had brought over and the steak was not beef, but sea turtle. The rum was another story. How about a 750ml bottle of 7 year old Havana Club at the marina store, which was one of the pricier ones, for $7? The same bottle was selling for cover $30 in Paris at the time.My brother, who had been a few times before, said he had gotten it in town for as little a $5.50 in previous years before the locals wised up a little and raised the price.:biggrin:

I just had an Illusione 68, wow talk about an amazing little cigar. Perfect construction, copious amounts of smoke, tons of rich flavor, no bitterness or harshness. I would highly recommend picking a few of these up!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I lived in Fl most of the 80's so my Cuban experience was limited to the Miami area. Lots of Cuban sandwiches there. Rum prices in the Caribbean are comical. Some where I have pictures of the Atlantis resort being built. When I was there you could buy a fifth of good rum cheaper than a bottle of beer and even cheaper than a pot of coffee. Heck rum was cheaper than a bag of potato chips! They did put a killer cigar shop/lounge in the Atlantis but I have no idea if that's still there.
I'd really enjoy going to Cuba if I ever had the chance.
Peter those look like great smokes. Is that a Robusto?

Dave

I lived in Fl most of the 80's so my Cuban experience was limited to the Miami area. Lots of Cuban sandwiches there. Rum prices in the Caribbean are comical. Some where I have pictures of the Atlantis resort being built. When I was there you could buy a fifth of good rum cheaper than a bottle of beer and even cheaper than a pot of coffee. Heck rum was cheaper than a bag of potato chips! They did put a killer cigar shop/lounge in the Atlantis but I have no idea if that's still there.
I'd really enjoy going to Cuba if I ever had the chance.
Peter those look like great smokes. Is that a Robusto?
Dave
Dave, I grew up in Miami. We moved there in '68 when I was 7 and my family moved to Tampa in '88. Suffice to say that there are some old friends who we wouldn't want to mention our Cuba trips to. LOL.

Dave,

The Illusione 68 is a petite corona 4x44, which is perfect for the winter months here in Chicago.

Prepping for a job interview, enjoying the last of my Red Bird Espresso coffee and an Old Henry Robusto.

Ok guys, since I've finished off my Red Bird Espresso, what do you recommend I try next for coffee beans?

Call me a provincial goober, but I like the Illy espresso, although it is pretty pricey here compared to what it sells fro in the home market, I am sure.

I am ending the day with an Old Henry Maduro corona.

It started off a bit funky probably because it needs a bit of age but after the first third it settled into a very pleasing smoke.

This is my typical start to a day (beans vary). I, typically, love Portuguese coffees. They tend to be slightly earthy, with a natural sweetness and a touch of acidity at the middle, but a warm cacao aftertaste. I don't even remember what these beans are called, but it's a medium roast and I really like it!

And, for those who might be wondering, the mug is courtesy of Tom Gray.

879AE2A1-ED46-4B27-B81A-8139C344B842-21499-00001C9C98FAC291.jpg

Back