Cigars and coffee....OH YEAH

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scoff at that and fart in your direction. Going from a Krupps whirly grinder to a PITA retro KitchenAid burr grinder made a quantum leap taste improvement in cheap drip machine.

Instead of scoffing and farting, step up and buy a Mazzer and Technivorm and be amazed.

ETA: I realize that may come off as snobby, not my intent. My point is most people wouldn't know the difference and don't want to make a major investment in a grinder. I personally have $8K invested in coffee equipment and every high end toy imaginable, but that's me. I cannot tell the difference for FP between my Mazzer and whirly blade grinder. For pourover, drip, and espresso there is a difference, especially the former two. The main difference being the extract time and contact with coffee/water.

I'm a whirly grind and drip drinker (but only with filtered water). For me it should not take longer to make coffee than it does to drink it.

Entire spectrum, price and taste, of sticks avail at http://www.mikescigars.com/ I like the sampler packs for a little variety and the house brand for good steady smoke.

Instead of scoffing and farting, step up and buy a Mazzer and Technivorm and be amazed.

ETA: I realize that may come off as snobby, not my intent. My point is most people wouldn't know the difference and don't want to make a major investment in a grinder. I personally have $8K invested in coffee equipment and every high end toy imaginable, but that's me. I cannot tell the difference for FP between my Mazzer and whirly blade grinder. For pourover, drip, and espresso there is a difference, especially the former two. The main difference being the extract time and contact with coffee/water.

I've had a Technivorm and KitchenAid ProLine for about three years and am pretty happy.

I'm a couple days late, but I'll still comment :)

I'man occasional cigar smoker (golfing, summer in general, bonfires, summer in general), but I like Te Amo cigars the best, so far. I know they're inexpensive, but I find them to be smooth, slightly chocolatey and medium burning. However, I can't seem to track them down too often, because in Canada, "if it ain't Cuban, it's crap".

As for coffee, I love Bodum's products. They're easy to use, the strainers on the FP fit very snuggly, allowing minimal grind into the drink itself, and they are very well made. Mine broke (dropped it). And I'm using a cheap one that does a fine job, but I still want a new Bodum. They also sell some beautiful double walled glass cups that match very nicely, if you're into that kinda thing.

Beans are such a matter of personal preference, I say you should experiment and try out a whole bunch to see what your favourites are. For me, it depends onwhat mood I'm in, but my favourite roasters are local and bring beans in from all over the world.

You should try them out. You can order from: http://www.fireroastedcoffee.com

Well I have my Bodum Chambord 8 cup french press sitting in front of me and a Mr. Coffee grinder! Just placed an order at Redbird and figured I would start with their Redbird espresso thanks to Jason's recommendation. Thanks again and I will be back with thoughts on my first cup of coffee.

I would guess you should be able to find a good coffee roaster locally, may be worth a look. I get most of my coffee from a local place that roasts everything in house, can be enjoyable to go in and talk about, see and smell what is fresh for that day.

I'm also looking for free coffee. Hahaha. Just kidding :) What a place!

Can I just say I love you guys! :spin chair:

I'll tell you what, I will definitely take you guys up on your generous offer but only when I am running low on my Red Bird Espresso so as to not waste your effort in the roasting process. I know after a week that the flavors begin to deteriorate.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

The Bodum is probably the best choice--an iconic design too.

I have the 3 cup and the 8 cup. The 3 cup only makes 1 mug of coffee. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased the 8 cup first and be done.

Regarding cigars, been there done that. Cigars are fun. Pipes are really nice, but I never smoked them in public for risk of looking like a d-bag. I will have the odd cigar on vacation, or if it is offered to me while camping. I sold my humidor and pipe outfit off a couple years ago primarily because I just don't smoke enough to justify the maintenance. The tobacco store does a better job and keeping cigars than I do so if I want one I just go there, plastic baggy it and smoke it within the next few hours.

Well, I just brewed my first Bodum French Press coffee with some fancy target brand nicuraguan whole beans, which were roasted god knows when and I am already in love. I am enjoying said coffee with a La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amora Robusto, and that is a very nice start to a fall Sunday.

Thanks again guys,

Pete

Very cool, congrats Pete. I'm excited for your good coffee to arrive.

I bought a REI branded titanium french press a few years ago to take on my bicycle tours, but find myself using it at least twice a week at home when I don't want to make more than a cup (a very rare thing, as I'm a caffeine addict, and drink about two pots a day) of the rarer or different beans I get. Here in town there is a wonderful artisan roaster who roasts some of the best coffee I have had, and being a good freind of mine, he will hook me up with some rare or not widely seen beans and roasts to try out. Sipping a cup of Indian Monsoon Mlibar as we speak. Nice and "muddy," very reminiscent of the soil it's grown in. Once a year harvest from south India, and well worth the wait.

I have roasted my own before in a air pop-corn popper, with good results. I think a roaster is in my future, as my girlfriend was asking all kinds of questions, and having conversations with said coffee roaster about my preferred beans. At least I hope that is what's happening, lol.

Last edited:
I just had a wonderful of cup of my Target brand of Nicaragua coffee with an absolutely stunning cigar, a My Father Robusto. Perfect construction, razor sharp burn and a great full flavored cigar with no harshness.

Pete if you ever make it over to Detroit drop me a line and we can head over to Windsor and have a smoke @ Casa Del Habano. My favorite combo? Bolivar Bellicosso fino cabinet selection and Organic Rooster Farms Kona.

Dave

http://www.roosterfarms.com/

I am enjoying a couple of glasses of Johnny Walker Black with an Old Henry Robusto (Pepin blended cigar for Holts), which tastes great for the price.

I had a Punch Punch in Lille the other week with a glass of the local beer. Normally, I would say have a cigar, particualrly a Cuban one, with a shot of standard cafeteria window Miami Cuban coffee with way too much sugar.:doublethumbsup:

When it comes to cigars from ISOM (Cuba) I have very little experience. I once had a Partagas Series D. and a Fonseca Delicias but that was back in '06. I need to connect with some people and figure out what sources are legit and which are no bueno.

Regards,

Pete

I have yet to try a cigar from the ISOM. The people on the Puff.com forums always seem to have a source, just seemed like too much hassle for me to try acquiring a box (or several).

Yeah, the problem these days is that if you try to get some say in Miami, you have about a 90% chance that they are counterfeit. That has also been a problem in Mexico, albeit nowhere as bad.

Pete if you ever make it over to Detroit drop me a line and we can head over to Windsor and have a smoke @ Casa Del Habano. My favorite combo? Bolivar Bellicosso fino cabinet selection and Organic Rooster Farms Kona.

Dave

http://www.roosterfarms.com/

Dave,
Have you everused the rooster farms kona as a rub. I was thinking of ordering some a) to try it and b) to use as a rub for a steak ala capital grille

Eric

My cousin used to hook me up with cubans when he was stationed in cuba but now I only get a few here and there when people go to out of the country.

Sometimes it's great living in Canada :p

The Habanos can give you some real sticker shock depending on where you buy them. The only time that I was in Havana was back in 2000. The Cohibas were overpriced because they were in heavy demand, but even at the marina, they were about half what they went for in Paris. A box of Esplendidos was going for about $300 or $$12.50 a stick. Back then, you could get a box of comparable (and popular) cigars R&J Churchills for about $140-150 (what can you get for $6 a stick anywhere today?) and smaller smokes of good quality like Partagas 898's or Punch Punch for under $100 a box even in the higher priced places like the marina store. As far as places that I have been where most of us might travel to, the highest prices were the stores on the London high streets like Davidoff or Desmond Sauter and the lowest not at some duty free place were at the "mall" out in the EU zone in Luxembourg, which were selling for about 60-65% of what they sold for in London. I paid like 11 Euros for that Punch Punch on the high street in Lille, which is not great, but not horrible considering I think that paid 12 pounds or more for the same cigar in London in 2006

Dave,
Have you everused the rooster farms kona as a rub. I was thinking of ordering some a) to try it and b) to use as a rub for a steak ala capital grille

Eric

I have not but that is some primo coffee no matter what you use it for. You certainly could use a standard Kona that would be more cost effective but the Rooster Farms is a seriously good treat if you enjoy a good cup. For a rub you might even try a can of Trader Joes Kuai which is far more cost effective than any Kona.
Pete I'd avoid any Cubans sold in the US. It's like buying any other black market product...loaded with counterfits. Cuba sends out it's smokes in order of preference to different countries. The Caribbean pretty much gets the bottom of the barrel where Spain etc really gets the cream of the crop. Now that may have changed a bit with the economy but when you travel to places like Miami or the Bahamas I think it's always better to find a local artisan like Avelino Lara @ Greycliff in Nassau. Even places where Cuban smokes are legal you have to be careful where you buy. Oh how I miss that 50+% Canadian exchange rate from years past.

Dave

http://www.graycliff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193&Itemid=286

Cuban cigars are easy to buy online and there are several reputable sellers. I haven't bought for a few years, but IIRC, there has been an increase in confiscated packages. PM me if you want recommendations.

So are Cubans really worth it, or has their stock risen due to the fact that they're forbidden to US citizens?

Latest posts

Back