Cpm s90v review for kitchen use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know but 1095 is an old steel used for car springs, saw blades, and hand tools.
This is a good point! In knives, we tend to think of high carbon low alloy steels like 1095, W1, and W2 as being very low toughness. However, this is not strictly the case. Water-hardening steels are often regarded as quite tough in (mostly in the past) industrial settings because they are shallow hardening enough that in larger cross sections the surface will harden, leaving the core soft. The residual compressive force on the surface and soft core both increase the toughness of the final tool. Additionally, since the hardness requirements are different for springs, the heat treatments can be quite different, from austempering (which forms a different microstructure) to using much higher tempering temperatures. As a result, a lot of industrial documentation will rate these steels quite differently from the way they perform in knives.

Apparently Steelport, those have kinda caught my eye, but never enough to pull the trigger. Tosho had them on sale a few weeks ago and I was close to trying.

5160 was also commonly used for springs. But I guess any simple carbon steel would be tough enough with a thick enough cross section.
My guess is they picked something that would not fatigue over time.

S90v might be a good steel but I can’t stand the name, something rubs me wrong.
Fortunately, we live in times where there is an abundance of good “super” steels. So can’t complain.

S90v might be a good steel but I can’t stand the name, something rubs me wrong.
Fortunately, we live in times where there is an abundance of good “super” steels. So can’t complain.
Used to be called 420V, now that was confusing.

Last edited:
This is a good point! In knives, we tend to think of high carbon low alloy steels like 1095, W1, and W2 as being very low toughness. However, this is not strictly the case. Water-hardening steels are often regarded as quite tough in (mostly in the past) industrial settings because they are shallow hardening enough that in larger cross sections the surface will harden, leaving the core soft. The residual compressive force on the surface and soft core both increase the toughness of the final tool. Additionally, since the hardness requirements are different for springs, the heat treatments can be quite different, from austempering (which forms a different microstructure) to using much higher tempering temperatures. As a result, a lot of industrial documentation will rate these steels quite differently from the way they perform in knives.
Let me believe in f2 steels superiority :'(

I've never knowingly tried 52100 at 65-66 hrc, but it is good stuff at 64 and below. The question I always have is at what point should you just pick a different steel instead of pushing some particular one to the limit. At higher hardness it seems like ApexUltra makes more sense for low alloy.

I've never knowingly tried 52100 at 65-66 hrc, but it is good stuff at 64 and below. The question I always have is at what point should you just pick a different steel instead of pushing some particular one to the limit. At higher hardness it seems like ApexUltra makes more sense for low alloy.
I mean. You could probably get 52100 up to that would definitely be near the limitd 67. I think for a kitchen knife in 52100, 64-66 is a good range. And 52100. At least according to larrins charts should be tougher than 26c3 in that range (my bad, and apex ulra)

I think the main question is how much more potential you can get by pushing 52100 to 66-67, is it worth the loss of additional toughness.

It would be hard to say how much more you would get. Though i think the amount of toughness it still has in the 65-66 range is worth going to that hardness.

For knifemakers that aren't used to working with more wear resistant steels would likely rather go with higher hardness 52100 also. Rather than moving to something like apex ultra. Where from what ive heard at least polishing it is more like what you might expect with more wear resistant steels.

Also. At least at this time. Apex ultra isn't very easy to get. Though that could change later.

Personally i would likely go with completely different kinds of steels with higher hardenability (since a plate quench is much less of a headache than oil, or water quenches) and more wear resitance. Though if i do anything else lower alloy in the future. It likely will be 52100, and likely in the higher range of hardness for that steel.

Edit, seeing the 66-67 thing. No. I dont think going to 67 is worth it, but 65-66 i think would be.

I think the main question is how much more potential you can get by pushing 52100 to 66-67, is it worth the loss of additional toughness.
If you are looking for performance there is no reason to use low alloy steels. Instead of 52100 at 66-67 Rc you could be getting high hardness AEB-L (if more people used it) which gives you better wear resistance, and toughness, and is stainless.

If you are looking for performance there is no reason to use low alloy steels. Instead of 52100 at 66-67 Rc you could be getting high hardness AEB-L (if more people used it) which gives you better wear resistance, and toughness, and is stainless.
AEB-L is definitely one of the most popular steel for custom makers now, tho I wish large manufacturers like Zwilling or Wusthof adapt it or at least something like 12c27.
Personally I just find Abe-l at the right point of edge retention and sharpening enjoyment. Tho simple carbon are still hard to beat.

Zwilling FC61 that they use on some of their lines is AEB-L or something very similar to it. It is at 61 HRC, but I doubt any mass producer would push steel to very high hardness.

Sorry for the long post in advance, but I wanted to chime in here to give some info on working with S90V since I got baptized in it recently and I want others to learn from my mistakes! I got it hardened to 61 HRC and then ground 4 blades from it post HT. 1/8" stock, blades were 5" x 2" rectangles, full flat grind, for Kosher Shechita/Chalef knives. About 25-30 hours later, I had 4 shiny blades, stupid thin at the edge and wickedly sharp. It was a ROYAL PITA. Even with VFD, ceramic belts, etc, it was a nightmare for a wider kitchen knife style blade!! I ran around a 1.5-2 degree angle for the blade grind itself on these, they are 1/8" thick stock. Thats a lot of metal to remove on a wide surface area, which means less pressure on the belt since it's over a wider area. Grind smaller sections and work your angle back towards the spine for better results on wider blades.

I used a variety of Ceramic belts. Sharp fresh belts are a must and when the belt starts burnishing the steel, stop and get a new belt. The belts typically have a lot of life left for other steels when they start burnishing, but not for S90V! It's bad when I saw my fingers in a very clear reflection at 60-120 grit belts!! I found a mid level speed and more pressure cut better and I tried to run the belts wet, too. I ran the blades on the wheel like a surface grinder to make sure I got all of the coarser belt scratches out at 120 and again at 220 grit and that made life a bit easier. I used VSM ceramics 880y, 885y 36, 60, 80 and 120 and Actirox 36. Hermes flexible Ceramics in 120 and 220. Norax Ceramics in A65, 45, 30 and 16. Trizact Ceramics in A45 and A30. SIC belts 220-1000, I ran these slow and wet with a good bit of pressure and then cranked up the speed, which helped burnish and polish the steel at the finer grits, running wet belts. The blades still had left over scratches, so they were not a perfect satin belt finish, but the guy loved them. They were smooth and you didn't feel the leftover deeper scratches. Key take aways: if they burnish, save that belt for other steels and grab a fresh one. Mid level speeds and pressure are good, keep the belt/blades wet!

AO belts, even Compact Grain belts, J Flex AO Supernova and Klingspor belts, etc, barely scuffed the surface when I tried them. Ceramics are key with the steel hardened and SiC do OK, but don't last long. I used soft platen (leather and felt) and found that the scratches come out better on a glass platen than a soft platen. The big ones will be full flat grind and the Ceramic Noraz and Trizact are thicker belts and do better on the glass platen than the thin SiC belts do.

5 shechita.jpg

I used a 120 grit ceramic VSM belt to cut the edge bevel, which was almost a zero edge, maybe .05-.010" or so?. Then I used a Shapton GlassStone 320, Bester 1200 and Rika 5K and used diamond strops at 14 micron (deburring and after the Bester 1200), 3 micron and 1 micron diamond after the Rika 5K and got a very crisp, sharp, smooth aggressive edge. I was shocked at how well those stones did on the steel and how quickly they worked! Once a bevel was roughed in, sharpening was not bad at all! I was truly shocked at this! I thought I would need to buy diamond stones, but the water stones got a sticky sharp edge and the diamond compound on the strops refined it even further!

I looked at the 2 hardened blanks that were for the 18" x 2.5" wide blades and said hell no! One of those blades has roughly the same surface area of the 4 narrower ones I did above!!!

18 shechita 2.jpg

Ordered more steel and am grinding the big ones pre HT this time! Much easier! 2-3 hours to get both of them to a nice 100 grit belt finish so far, but I still have more grinding to go! And a FYI, 24" x 2.5" x 3/32" thick steel bar is around $80. Not much more than Magnacut or other CPM steels, which are around $110 for a 36" x 2" x 3/32" bar. Grinding pre HT isn't all that bad, but the steel will still burnish on you, so I have been keeping the speeds slower and letting the belt cut the steel. Hard platens work better than the soft platens do.

I cut up one of the big, hardened blanks using an angle grinder slow and keeping the heat down and putting the cut edges at the spine and made a 3 1/8" bird and trout blade for myself to test the steel out. Sharpening was pretty easy, .010" at the edge, same 120 belt, stones and strop progression and I got the same, nice sticky sharp crispy feeling edge. Cleaned about 150+ trout a couple weekends later at a Take a Vet Fishing Derby (and a couple bass), most removing the heads and gutting them, including the small bass. I had one small wrinkle that matched the spine of one of the larger bass. I used the 14/3 micron diamond strop and got most of the wrinkle out in a couple minutes. Edge retention was excellent! A buddy was using an AEB-L blade 62 hrc that was thinner behind the edge and that one had a little micro chipping to it in 3 places. I thought the S90V was going to chip out a lot more and was pleasantly surprised! I gotta slice down the other blank into useable smaller pieces. In a 1.25" wide blade, the steel wasn't all that bad to grind even post HT and I got a nice satin finish I am happy with for a Bird and Trout knife. The Shechita/Chalef knives need a much more polished, smoother finish, which is a painful and time consuming process!

So if people want a kitchen knife in S90V, the toughness should be plenty and similar to other steels. Grind soft (pre HT) and get fresh ceramic belts!! I know some guys that take it to .015 at the edge and to 400 grit pre HT and then do a convex edge. Sharpening a thin blade is not bad at all, even with regular stones. Chip removal or thinning, you will want diamonds or a coarse ceramic belt on a belt sander and work up for the grunt work, but with the edge holding of the steel, thinning won't be much of an issue unless you need to remove a big chip.

I did another large Shechita in CPM20CV a while back and the S90V was noticeably harder to grind post HT (about twice to 2.5 times as long for the same surface area,) but the sharpening seemed a bit easier for some reason?

Hope this gives some info to helps others out! I just saw the Supporting craftsman membership option, so I just purchased it right after making the post, so hopefully that makes it ok! I enjoy making and using kitchen knives in my spare time, so now I can do some more stuff on the forums!

Thanks for taking one for the team! I think I'll wait to play with this stuff until I have some san-mai made up.

I used a 120 grit ceramic VSM belt to cut the edge bevel, which was almost a zero edge, maybe .05-.010" or so?. Then I used a Shapton GlassStone 320, Bester 1200 and Rika 5K and used diamond strops at 14 micron (deburring and after the Bester 1200), 3 micron and 1 micron diamond after the Rika 5K and got a very crisp, sharp, smooth aggressive edge. I was shocked at how well those stones did on the steel and how quickly they worked! Once a bevel was roughed in, sharpening was not bad at all! I was truly shocked at this! I thought I would need to buy diamond stones, but the water stones got a sticky sharp edge and the diamond compound on the strops refined it even further!

I did another large Shechita in CPM20CV a while back and the S90V was noticeably harder to grind post HT (about twice to 2.5 times as long for the same surface area,) but the sharpening seemed a bit easier for some reason?
I feel like the reason you noticed sharpening worked well with traditional abrasives, is you literally sharpened the edge with the belt grinder first.

That said. It can be done, and its likely fine since you followed it with diamond strops. And really could potentially be alright if you had just finished on the aluminum oxides stones. Though, it definitely wouldnt be the most ideal edge possible with the steel.

Also. My tip for doing any kind of polishing with these is buy some diamond microfinishing film. If you cant get that there are other diamond sanding sheets, and similar products available. But they give the cleanest looking finish on these steels. At least that ive found.

Yes, I set the bevel with the belt sander, but it was a very rough, toothy, coarse, burred edge. I basically used the water stones to refine that edge and clean it up to a nice, crisp, smooth edge. The edge was pretty nice off of the Rika 5K, and improved and smoothed out a bit with the 3 micron strop.

Yeah, the diamond microfinishing are super expensive! The customer liked the finish I got on the Shechita and it was good for his use, so I didn't have to go to the diamonds for finishing. I sent him one of the Shechita as a sample to make sure the finish was OK. Normal kitchen knives aren't a high polish type of knife, so the belts do fine with that satin belt finish. I am looking forward to playing with the steel more!

Yes, I set the bevel with the belt sander, but it was a very rough, toothy, coarse, burred edge. I basically used the water stones to refine that edge and clean it up to a nice, crisp, smooth edge. The edge was pretty nice off of the Rika 5K, and improved and smoothed out a bit with the 3 micron strop.

Yeah, the diamond microfinishing are super expensive! The customer liked the finish I got on the Shechita and it was good for his use, so I didn't have to go to the diamonds for finishing. I sent him one of the Shechita as a sample to make sure the finish was OK. Normal kitchen knives aren't a high polish type of knife, so the belts do fine with that satin belt finish. I am looking forward to playing with the steel more!
Im guessing you're in canada then?

For whatever reason its much more expensive in canada than the usa. Which sucks for the canadian makers that use these steels.

CALIDAKA 4 Pcs/Set Diamond Hand Polishing Pads,Glass Grinding Pads for Sanding Concrete Glass Stone Granite Marble(60#,100#,200#,400#) https://a.co/d/5xzwyym

Maybe give these a go.

Ive wanted to pick these up for a minute.

I know ive seen other people on this forum mention them.

No, in the US. I looked it up a while ago, maybe it's come down in price since then? A 2x72 Diamond belt was over $100 when I looked a few months ago. Amazon shows it to be stupid expensive still! Or they want you to get a full roll or 50 sheets.

No, in the US. I looked it up a while ago, maybe it's come down in price since then? A 2x72 Diamond belt was over $100 when I looked a few months ago. Amazon shows it to be stupid expensive still! Or they want you to get a full roll or 50 sheets.
The belts are much more expensive.

The ones on amazon are like $16 for a sheet.

And i. Can usually get 2 knives out of one which to me isnt bad. $8 a knife is definitely worth the time it saves me.

Ah, ok! I wasn't sure how many "sheets" I would go through! I saw one place wanted like $330 for 50 sheets that were pretty small sheets!

I tried some other cheap diamond pads and stuff and never liked the finish they left. I even have a 8K DMT diamond plate here that I don't use.

Ah, ok! I wasn't sure how many "sheets" I would go through! I saw one place wanted like $330 for 50 sheets that were pretty small sheets!

I tried some other cheap diamond pads and stuff and never liked the finish they left. I even have a 8K DMT diamond plate here that I don't use.
Yeah i havent messed with them myself. But i do think i will pick some up i think they could be usefull for getting the coarse work done and finish with the 3m

Back