Custom Order Progress Update

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, folks -

Mario, the damascus on a suji is a half-brother of yours and Rick's gyuto steel.

These blanks haven't been heat treated yet, so they don't show right colors (Spirograph will be dark after HT)

Machine finish I am aiming at is similar to Bob Kramer finish of his 52100 custom knives.

These are profiles you will see on my knives. They are derived from Masamoto gyuto, but are not 1:1 copy. There are two notable differences with Masamoto that will put them apart in terms of durability and performance.

M

I love your own profile Marko. I can tell that you are rewarded for studing a lot of knives before making your own.
Im really looking forward to how they turn out, and how the grind wil be.

The last feedback I got from a pro from a commercial kitchen, was a request for a little more heft in midsection, but same thinness at the edge, so I ground one with that in mind. I think I am going to offer both versions, lighter and heavier, so one would have to specify. Lighter will be a slightly better cutter, and heavier will be be more robust and suitable for doing large amount of prep cutting in a pro kitchen.

Here are the pictures of spine shots and geometry shots. I only rough-ground, so it is yet to be finished. Speaking of finishing, I am struggling to come up with a machine finish that is satisfactory to me, so I think I will end up hand-finishing at least the first few of the knives.
DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

My learning curve for logo etching has been steep and frustrating. I am leaning to use a silver mark over a blackened.
DSC_0239.jpg

I have several knives ground and two knives are to be finished (with handles) this weekend. Pics to follow.

M

Got to go back to original thread. Too many threads at the moment to keep track of. :(

Laurie x 2 (Done!!!)
Steve (On Hold)
Leonard (getting ready to HT)
Rene ((getting ready to HT)
Walter (getting ready to HT)
Julian (getting ready to HT)
Karing (getting ready to HT)
Oivind x 4 (Heat treated)
Collin (#13) - have to wait on this one so it doesn't mess up the other ones. :)

Pics of the first order. Thank you all for being patient!

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

Oivind, for stalking, I am pushing you to the bottom of the list. :)

Sweet! I am no longer at the bottom.:D

They look great, while the d shaped handles are well done, I still think your traditional octogon take the cake.

Nice. These photos on your web site might save some poor fool a lot of agonized decision making . . .

I'm not sure what "posole" means, but I'm sure Marko knows "poor fool" was a self-deprecating reference to my own inability to decide. I've had a chance to actually try both handles, and for days the best I could come up with was "I like them both".

Got to go back to original thread. Too many threads at the moment to keep track of. :(

Laurie x 2 (Done!!!)
Steve (On Hold)
Leonard (getting ready to HT)
Rene ((getting ready to HT)
Walter (getting ready to HT)
Julian (getting ready to HT)
Oivind x 4 (Heat treated)
Collin (#13) - have to wait on this one so it doesn't mess up the other ones. :)

Pics of the first order. Thank you all for being patient!

View attachment 3341

View attachment 3338

View attachment 3339

View attachment 3335

View attachment 3340

O come on! Don't let Dave scare you, bad carpenter blames the number...or something like that? Hoss and del had no trouble with #13 :O

Don't push Marko. He got trouble with 3,4,5 and 6 to :)
I hope for pics this year!
woot!

Laurie x 2 (Done!!!)
Steve (Profiled)
Leonard (Heat-treated)
Rene ((Heat-treated)
Walter (Heat-treated)
Julian (Heat-treated)
Oivind x 4 (Heat-treated)
Collin (Profiled)

DSC_0312.jpg

I have some more cow/ox horn in the shop and 7 more rolls of premium buffalo horn (as in the picture) on the way. This should give me enough material for about 50+ handles, so I can breath freely for a while.

Also sending out a good amount of premium curly koa, curly maple, and some walnut burl for stabilizing, so I should have it back in time for the second batch (hopefully).

Will have some by the end of the weekend. Working on a number of knives at the moment.

M

Steve - Rough Ground
Leonard - Rough Ground
Rene - Rough Ground
Walter - Rough Ground
Julian (in the picture)
Karing Heat Treated
Oivind x 4 On Hold
Collin (Profiled, Heat Treating on Monday)

Big Enchilada
277mm on the edge

DSC_0338.jpg

get working Marko! I know I am somewhere on that list.:whistling:

The second half of the list won't get published until I complete these. I have them in various stages of completion, hopefully will be chipping away a few this week.

M

Hi Marko, looks like your mailbox is full...

Stefan

Oivind's knife is ready except for D-hanlde (making today). He asked me how my finish compared to Shigefusa finish, so I am including pics.

240mm (on the edge) gyuto in 52100.

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

PS: Shigefusa in the picture is super-thin in the mid section, thinnest I ever seen. Keep that in mind when you look at the last picture.

woot!

Posting from Altitude: 26 109 ft or for the metrics: 7 958 m
Looking good. Bad conection here :)

Out to Norway...

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

These folks are next. Their knives are in various stages of completion and some will go out this week.

Leonard
Rene
Walter
Julian
Karing

May I ask which wood the handle is? Redwood? :scratchhead:
Looking very good :)

Back