Custom Order Progress Update

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask which wood the handle is? Redwood? :scratchhead:
Looking very good :)

It is redwood.

Thanks everybody!

M

PS: Oivind had originally 4 orders. I bumped him up the line, however he ended up with one, so hopefully there won't any issues with you guys who were before him, plus his friend is in DC this week so it made sense to rush this one. Norvegian customs are brutal.

This looks good!

Thanks Marko.
Im soooo looking forward to finally playing with 52100.
This will be a knife for me, but I will send it to a few places to check out. I have some contacts in the professional kitchen, who are ranked pretty high internationally :) I might post their opinions about it :)

Two of 5 are almost done (one needs handle polish, another to bring blade to a higher finish).

Thee others are ground, getting ready to make handles.

This is the biggest knife I ever made - 275mm on the edge.

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

Karring
Julian
250mm suji and 275mm gyuto both measured on an edge, with experimental grind.

The rest (five) are to be done within 3-4 days, most are ground and finished, but I haven't started on handles yet, except for one (Leonard).

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

From that piece you have had sitting around for over a year? Hmmm...I have a piece of snakewood just like that...

Yes, that is the piece, but I actually had it for over two years.

Just to add, this block had the best figure but was a little short, so a spacer and a cap was necessary to give it enough length.

My work is influenced by Bob Kramer's work, no doubts about it, but in this case it was a pure necessity, then an attempt to copy. I come to think, I could have had an ed cap as well. :)

The spacer and the cap is mokume, but I haven't etched it.

M

PS: can somebody point to a good source of snakewood? I got mine from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods last time. I was however not dry, hence, two years sitting on it.

PS: can somebody point to a good source of snakewood? I got mine from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods last time. I was however not dry, hence, two years sitting on it.

The best I had was from Robert at AZ Ironwood. He says he also sends it in for stabilizing - whatever that means. Not sure the resin can penetrate the dense wood, but I never had issues with the 2 pieces I used from him. I also had a few other pieces sitting round for 2+ years without issues, but I would not want to send them to someone in UT or in a desert somewhere...

Stefan

P.S., that snakewood handle is stunning. These are a PITA to make IMHO and yours look fabulous, even better with the metal cap.

Yes, that is the piece, but I actually had it for over two years.

Wow! it took two years to dry. I should go and ask them if they had something that was already dry. I thought Snakewood was so dense, that it doesn't need to be dried.

Wow! it took two years to dry. I should go and ask them if they had something that was already dry. I thought Snakewood was so dense, that it doesn't need to be dried.

It was probably dry after a year, but I didn't get to work it and extra drying is only better.

Snakewood is very dense, but it is also reputed to be very brittle and delicate - it can crack sometimes years after being worked, so it has to be worked carefully, without overheating it, and every time it is drilled or ends exposed, the surface has to be treated with CA glue. At least that is what I have read about snakewood on pen turners forums, but they work with a smaller stock and drilling a larger hole for pen hardware, can easily heat up wood.

M

It has been a long time waiting to see my name in this thread, but AMAZING things happen to those who wait. Looks great Marko, and I love that handle.

k.

I love the Ebony handles you do Marko. I am going to want that on my knife.

It has been a long time waiting to see my name in this thread, but AMAZING things happen to those who wait. Looks great Marko, and I love that handle.

k.

That maybe the best looking handle I've seen Marko make to date. Obviously influenced by Kramer's meji design, but still distinctly Markoish and classy, almost formal looking.

I hope you are clear on who you should call when this knife arrives.

Greetings -

I have several knives completed (Leonard, Walter, Julian, Karring, Brian) but my etching machine broke (among other few equipment failures I had last month), so it's being repaired at the moment and as soon as I get it back, these knives will go out.

Made some progress on my backlog of custom orders - Bao's two sets are complete, Rick's almost done. After these, I will only have two more sets left. Whew...

Heat treating two batches of knives today and tomorrow. Will include some of 180mm and 210mm. These will feature D handles and will be offered as stock knives.

Western handled gyuto with bolster in works.

M

Made some progress on my backlog of custom orders - Bao's two sets are complete, Rick's almost done. After these, I will only have two more sets left. Whew...

Is this just the first list? Or is this all of your orders?

Back