Custom wa handle - Portfolio & WIP - V2.0

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a nice piece of walnut!

An order for three handles is completed and here is the result on a 270mm gyuto from Yannick. The client had very specific measurements and materials to redo this one, it was necessary to keep the same proportions as the original handle. The base is walnut and the ring is faux ivory. Thank you for choosing my friend and I hope you like it!

View attachment 300005View attachment 300006View attachment 300007View attachment 300008View attachment 300009View attachment 300010View attachment 300011View attachment 300012
And now attached to the best 270 gyuto ever made 🤣

I really like the brass/copper material but unfortunately without a heirloom fit, a little gap will appear with time. For me it really doesn't bother me but I know that some people hate feeling it.

I try to make more heirloom end cap with metal precisely to avoid this kind of problem. But doing a heirloom fit is not super easy and I practice every week to develop my technique!
Is it something about brass or copper that causes that, or is it any metal? If the metal matters, I wonder if bronze or beryllium copper might be different.

The wood is the component that shrinks and expands permanently with moisture content not the metal (well it does a little too over temperature but around ambient temperatures +-10K you won't be able to measure much change)
Stabilized woods could work good enough i guess?

The wood is the component that shrinks and expands permanently with moisture content not the metal (well it does a little too over temperature but around ambient temperatures +-10K you won't be able to measure much change)
Stabilized woods could work good enough i guess?
Stabilized woods also will move, but to a lesser extent than unstabilized. Any time you work with materials like metal in combination with wood, you will end up with at least some level of transition between the two.

I don’t pop by often enough in this thread, but I am constantly blown away by your dedication to your work.
My only comfort is that we don’t live in the same country - it would cost me a fortune 😂

I just got my Birgersson knives back from the rehandle yesterday. I could not be happier with how they turned out.
Thank you so much, I'm really glad you like them and that everything arrived safely! Have fun with them 🙂

The wood is the component that shrinks and expands permanently with moisture content not the metal
Bingo!

Any time you work with materials like metal in combination with wood, you will end up with at least some level of transition between the two.
Yeah that's the price to pay to combine different material. That's why I'm aiming with heirloom for end cap, plus I find it so aesthetic!

it would cost me a fortune 😂
EF12D1C7-0623-475F-95C1-9A895D1C1C42.jpeg
Thanks man! I really like to make handles and I'm trying my best to develop my technique and to learn new things 🙂

From DIY loudspeakers i know there is a technique called shadow gap.
One could mill a groove between the two materials (or simply mill the edges of both elements). That of course assumes the customer is fine with a gap!
I personally would rather have a gap than a "step" between materials if you know what i mean.
Loudspeaker example wirh shadow gap

I love the handle I just finished today. The customer purchased this blade from me and all that was left to do was put on a pair of pants. I suggested copper spacers, Indonesian rosewood and an ebony ferrule. I think it's mission accomplished!

I have to admit that I'm a little jealous and that I would have liked to keep it for myself 😝

DBFE5837-1FF9-4A36-8E3C-0E0146870EDA.jpegB0476C8C-B7E1-43FF-89E4-0767795B2BF1.jpeg
53AF013C-45D5-4787-A431-ECEC01F9E25F.jpegD703880D-5E7A-4259-9134-898D1803C8D6.jpeg
FE03A670-8786-4261-A6CF-1AD8C13CC79B.jpeg777E8B7B-7006-4642-97EC-98F68793FD44.jpeg
6EE32069-3015-4381-B848-AA6B2A15BEBD.jpeg11424242-B07D-4FB7-A4A5-3ED35F4374A8.jpeg

I love the handle I just finished today. The customer purchased this blade from me and all that was left to do was put on a pair of pants. I suggested copper spacers, Indonesian rosewood and an ebony ferrule. I think it's mission accomplished!

I have to admit that I'm a little jealous and that I would have liked to keep it for myself 😝

View attachment 302038View attachment 302039
View attachment 302040View attachment 302041
View attachment 302042View attachment 302043
View attachment 302044View attachment 302045

truly stunning combination 😍

Thanks! The other option was a textured copper end cap which could have been really interesting too. The choice was not easy!
Just thinking about it and trying to visualize, I think the current setup allows the handle to pair well with the cu mai in the blade without interfering with it, if that makes sense. Better visual balance. But that's without seeing the alternative 🤔

Back