Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is a consensus among the experts that the HT, and other factors are what make the steel. If this guy can do wonders with this "1095" and get people to shell out $600, then more power to him.

I have not seen any reviews on this knife yet so it may be premature to assess a value on this knife. Much of value is assessed by the market or owner. :wink:

Good short.
Nice film making.

Insular?

"There are like 4 or 5 guys in the country that make hand made kitchen knives".
:scratchhead:

I really, really like the video. Even clicked over to the site that put it together, and found a neighbor -- Rufus Hussey -- a guy who makes slingshots, aka bean shooters. As to Cut Brooklyn, the overall shape, blade/handle transition has grown on me. Needless to say, the whole homegrown/handmade thing resonates with me. I'm sometimes jealous of those that make more money at their art/craft than I do, but seldom jealous of those that have more fun at it than I do :) I think Joel is living the life! But so am I.

If I'm not mistaken, Rufus Hussey is no longer alive. There's a whole community on slingshotforums.... they're at least as crazy as the kitchen knife people!

That was a really cool video. Still, if/when the budget for a custom or handmade knife is available to me, I'm sure I'd buy from one of the makers on this forum. Or two or three.

Very well done video. One thing I have to comment on is the 15,000 hours it takes to finally make a good knife.That seems like a bit of a stretch.

Very well done video. One thing I have to comment on is the 15,000 hours it takes to finally make a good knife.That seems like a bit of a stretch.

Well, there is 10K hours rule to get good at anything. I wonder how many more hours CB needs to make a good handle?

You're right. Rufus did pass away. My mistake. He WAS a neighbor, having lived just a few miles away. I probably wouldn't buy a CB either, but the man appears to be meeting a need in his community. What's wrong with that?

Well, there is 10K hours rule to get good at anything. I wonder how many more hours CB needs to make a good handle?

I don't think Malcolm Gladwell's opinion can be classified as a rule....

One more thing --- we have a saying in the pottery biz -- it takes 40 hours a week for at least 7 years to become competent enough to make what you see in your mind's eye.

I don't think Malcolm Gladwell's opinion can be classified as a rule....

10K hours was from Malcom Gladwell, but the idea is as old as the world. You need to put a few years of effort (often guided) to become good at anything, profession, sports, science, etc. 10K is roughly translates into 5 years of effort.

To grind a knife well, one might not need 5 years, but to understand the craft (metallurgy, heat treatment, etc), 5 years might not be enough.. Look at Devin - 30 years in knife-making and still learning new things.

M

So how many have u seen I person?......Ryan

You mean have I seen one in person? No, but I get a good idea from pictures on CB site as well as WS site.

I think if you go back into threads discussing CB on KF and KKF, handles were the turning down point. WS line handles area also very basic. Remind me of Lamson handles.

M

With advances of modern medicine, everything is possible. Look at Berlusconi. :)

10K hours was from Malcom Gladwell, but the idea is as old as the world. You need to put a few years of effort (often guided) to become good at anything, profession, sports, science, etc. 10K is roughly translates into 5 years of effort.

To grind a knife well, one might not need 5 years, but to understand the craft (metallurgy, heat treatment, etc), 5 years might not be enough.. Look at Devin - 30 years in knife-making and still learning new things.

M

If you mean the idea that being good at something takes time is as old as the world, yes, you would be right. Still I don't think that it can be called a rule, and I don't think it applies to everything.

I've seen a few in person and i thought the handles were nicely done.....i didn't necessarily agree with some of the materials or colors but they were nice regardless.....Ryan

From the pics I have seen his F&F is very nice.Handle shapes are to subjective to take anybody's opinion serious.I am happy that he is having success at something he loves to do.

Just a quick comment on 1095 only from what I gather from other knife makers and metalurgists. 1095 is a good basic steel which in many ways is very suitable to knives, it can be made sharp, fine grained, a high RC hardness is easy, and it has good toughness. 1095 is inexpensive and does not seem to be made to tight tolerances of carbon content and perhaps unwanted inclusions. This may effect the correct heat treat as well as the quality of the finish. If a knife maker is able to get a consistent product, it should be quite good. The added ingredients in o1 and 52100 mostly add to better wear, more consistent heat treatment and toughness I believe.

[/QUOTE]I have not seen any reviews on this knife yet so it may be premature to assess a value on this knife. Much of value is assessed by the market or owner. :wink:[/QUOTE]

I have used a Cpm154 Cut Brooklyn Prospect going on four years now. I have used it both in professional kitchens as well as at home. I will agree that this particular blade profile is not optimal for all cutting styles but it works, just as many French chef knives before it. The handle is comfortable for hours of use despite the highlighter colors! I custom ordered mine for length and spine thickness which Joel had little problem accommodating. I would order another PM steel knife from Joel because cares about what he's doing and he's working hard to get quality cutlery to cooks everywhere. He is not a cook so he can only design based on instinct and feedback. If he doesn't get quality feedback from discriminating users, his product suffers. Reach out to him and be a part of the solution. I value the knife because Joel is young, open-minded and only getting better!

LOL. What's wrong about being a snob when you are expected to shell this kind of coin? 52100 is probably the best steel out there.

Okay... I'll bite. Why do you think that 52100 steel is the best?

I am a newbie who is looking to upgrade from my Shun Classics.

Jeff

Jeff

Welcome!!......He feels it's the best,that really does not make it the best.Claiming the best steel is like me claiming a women with a big A$$ is the best(it is),it's only what you like that makes something the best.

Jeff

Welcome...lots of good steel around here! Should be fun replacing those Shuns.

Back