Cut Brooklyn PA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the main reason I want to test drive it.And as for a "Pro" taking someone new knife to work, I feel that would be in bad taste.

I didn't mean any offense to anyone by suggesting that a knife should be evaluated by a pro user/s. I think in a pro kitchen, a knife would be used up to it's potential (variety of things to cut and quantity), and I assume the owner is interested to know what the knife is capable of. Why would this be a bad taste? :)

Knives I sent (and intend on sending out) to pro kitchen come back in pristine condition (Matt, Jordan, and others), with same bevels I send them out. I haven't got a knife back damaged ever, so I don't think one should automatically assume it will be abused.

M

Still need PMs with addresses for add, and El Pescador, please. tgraypots is probably first up

Now that I've slept, eaten, worked concrete and am now eating again, I realize you meant no harm, Marko.
I apologize for over-reacting, but I still believe hobby chefs could evaluate the crap out of a knife! :)

It's coming to me. While I'm no longer in the game, I think and evaluate like a pro.

And as for a "Pro" taking someone new knife to work, I feel that would be in bad taste.

Why? Just because they are pros does not mean they would be treated poorly. Especially people who are on this board, I am pretty sure they understand the difference between someone's personal passaround and a house knife. As a "knife maker" aren't you interested in how things perform in all environments? If the CTS-XHP holds an edge for you all week without a touch up, wouldn't you like to know after how much it actually does lose it's edge?

Please don't start a war over this. Participants can use the knife in any way they want as long as it's not as a hammer or illegal. It should hold up to normal usage and sharpening. Obviously the pros will put greater demands on the knife just by the sheer volume of work, so opinions about home use and pro use are both interesting.

Oh, the knife is in the mail to tgraypots. Please let me know about its progress. Copy of the participants' names and addresses enclosed in the order the knife should be sent and received. Tgray pots is in North Carolina and it should then be going to Florida.

I'm more interested in fit and finish, aesthetics and how it feels in my hand than I am edge retention.

Pitonboy, thanks again for doing this.

I am going to bow out of this one for right now.
If something changes (I am geographically near Spike, Pac NW) perhaps it could still be worked in.

Hope I didn't take up any potential spots.

In the meantime, looking forward to following this.

Best,
wayne

Thank you Pitonboy for contributing to the community in this way.
I am looking forward to finally seeing some reviews on the CutBrooklyn knife.

Why? Just because they are pros does not mean they would be treated poorly. Especially people who are on this board, I am pretty sure they understand the difference between someone's personal passaround and a house knife. As a "knife maker" aren't you interested in how things perform in all environments? If the CTS-XHP holds an edge for you all week without a touch up, wouldn't you like to know after how much it actually does lose it's edge?

I don't mean it will be treated poorly,just usage..If I have the knife for a week it might see 3-4 hours tops.How many hours would you put on it in a week in a pro kitchen.I am just try to be respectful to the mans like new knife that he graciously let us check out.I can say edge retention is on the bottom of my list on a knife.I am more concerned with how the knife cuts and feels in my hand. Thanx again Pitonboy

I was just wondering if we can see the list here, just for timing and such please.

I would also like to say thank you if I haven't done so yet.

I don't mean it will be treated poorly,just usage..If I have the knife for a week it might see 3-4 hours tops.How many hours would you put on it in a week in a pro kitchen.I am just try to be respectful to the mans like new knife that he graciously let us check out.I can say edge retention is on the bottom of my list on a knife.I am more concerned with how the knife cuts and feels in my hand. Thanx again Pitonboy
I don't think it's so much about the hours but the sharpenings. How many times can you sharpen a knife before it really becomes a different knife? Yes, you can thin it but you have changed the geometry set by the knifemaker. This is not so much the case with Heiji, Carter, etc. but otherwise, I wouldn't want my brand new knife sharpened too many times.

Sweet contribution to the community Pitonboy! I look forward to reading the reviews, hopefully you can look forward to some good old fashioned karma!

Cheers

The list will be posted Friday evening. Crothcipt, you are roughly eighth I think but I cant get at the actual list until then.

I figured if you started in Fl., I just don't do well not knowing some kind of order. And anticipation is killing me.

Order list for Cut Brooklyn

tgraypots

Pensacola Tiger

Burke Cutlery

Pabloz

Tk59

ElPescador

SpikeC

Crothcipt

RRLOVER

stereo pete

Edipis Reks

Iceman91

Lefty

and then home to me.

There is a copy of the list with mailing addresses with the knife

He he you might get to see it just in time for christmas.

Ty for posting.

Great list comprised with a variety of some very knowledgable folks !

I am ready to send this puppy on, and I would like to know how much we are insuring it for. I can't seem to find his prices anywhere!

The CB is now on it's way to Crothcipt.
This knife is a little.....different. I was surprised by the way that it was ground, on his web site he is shown holding knives in progress, with the main bevel ground in, and as far as I could tell that was about all the grinding that was done. Half of the blade was a parallel sided slab of steel, with an abrupt transition to the main bevel, like a single edge Japanese knife with no distal taper, and just enough sanding to mask the transition. The only thing that made the blade look like it tapered in length was the long thin tip. It is rather thick behind the edge compared to the knives that we are accustom to, and quite sticky despite the heavily "convex" grind. If it were mine I would round the spine more and do more contouring of the handle, while the shape was all right it has too many edges for my taste.
The profile is quite European, as advertised, and lends itself to rock chopping, so I found myself having to revert to technique that I have moved away from. All in all I think that I prefer my old 8" rosewood handled Forschner chefs knife to this one, and I haven't pulled that out in a looong time!

This got here today. The saya has some green, I would say mold on it. Any recommendations on cleaning it off. Its not bad, but can get that way.

That was on there even when it arrived at my place. It's probably dirty looking now, but it looked like Chromium Oxide or crayon or something to me(I have toddlers, my mind immediately goes to crayons). Def too neon to be mold. It'll need to be sanded past.

Ya I see that. But this is a little lighter green and seems to have some growth from the grain. Ill take a pic. later just to make sure nothing has expanded.

Back