Cut Brooklyn PA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok a couple of pics. just to be sure.

2012-10-04 22-57-31.836.jpg2012-10-04 22-57-49.406.jpg

Yeah, that is what I vaguely remember it looking like. Is it mold? I'm from Texas, we don't get that lush verdant mold you guys probably get up North--we get, like, dark green-to-brown, tardigarde-hard-ass mold.

I am moderately sure that is chromium and that I caused the staining

It came that way to me, and I'm pretty sure it's chrome oxide too. Not sure how to remove it :-( Maybe scotch-brite and comet?

It's a pretty crappy saya so I don't know if it needs fixing unless one wants to do it for fun

Yes to both. I don't even know what that meant.

Yup. The green stuff is chromium oxide, for sure. I thought it was a nice knife. I didn't like the price though. The steel was fine. Sharpenability and edge holding were better than average. The grind was nice in terms of cutting ability although it was relatively thick near the tip and near the edge, in general. Cutting with it reminded me of some of those early DTITK's that had the thick heels only the DT's tapered a lot more toward the tip. The edge it came with was on the thick side as well. I'm not sure if it was similar to the stock edge so I won't comment on that any further. Where this knife was different than other chef's knives/gyutos is the edge to spine distance near the tip. I think he must have tapered less to give it some strength but sacrifice on the cutting performance. On the other hand, the release, esp for slicing motions is excellent. There's just not much knife there to stick to. Aside from that, it's a pretty average knife. Sticktion wasn't great. The spine and chiol were smoothed but not eased or rounded, iirc. The handle material was slicker than most and clearly chosen for low maintenance and machineabilty. The balance is handle heavy. It feels okay if you are using a hammer grip but the feel is relatively poor in the pinch. The handle also has some edges to it and ground symmetrically. Since my hand is asymmetric, obviously, it isn't going to have a great feel. I did like how the handle girth was smaller where my shorter fingers are gripping (again in a hammer grip). All in all, it's still a perfectly serviceable knife. Thank you for the opportunity to try it out.

Yup. The green stuff is chromium oxide, for sure. I thought it was a nice knife. I didn't like the price though. The steel was fine. Sharpenability and edge holding were better than average. The grind was nice in terms of cutting ability although it was relatively thick near the tip and near the edge, in general. Cutting with it reminded me of some of those early DTITK's that had the thick heels only the DT's tapered a lot more toward the tip. The edge it came with was on the thick side as well. I'm not sure if it was similar to the stock edge so I won't comment on that any further. Where this knife was different than other chef's knives/gyutos is the edge to spine distance near the tip. I think he must have tapered less to give it some strength but sacrifice on the cutting performance. On the other hand, the release, esp for slicing motions is excellent. There's just not much knife there to stick to. Aside from that, it's a pretty average knife. Sticktion wasn't great. The spine and chiol were smoothed but not eased or rounded, iirc. The handle material was slicker than most and clearly chosen for low maintenance and machineabilty. The balance is handle heavy. It feels okay if you are using a hammer grip but the feel is relatively poor in the pinch. The handle also has some edges to it and ground symmetrically. Since my hand is asymmetric, obviously, it isn't going to have a great feel. I did like how the handle girth was smaller where my shorter fingers are gripping (again in a hammer grip). All in all, it's still a perfectly serviceable knife. Thank you for the opportunity to try it out.

You've softened in your ol age.

What do you want me to say? You want a grade? Probably a B-. Is it as nice as a Devin? No. Is it as nice as your average Japanese knife? It's nicer than a Tojiro in pretty much every way. Other than the steel, it's not as nice as the other twenty some odd gyutos I keep here.

Mario do you want me to sharpen this? Or would you like to check out that part of the blade? I got a few chips in the tip, and a rolled edge almost at the feral.

Oh ya send me your addy., some reason I can't find the address sheet.

Mario do you want me to sharpen this? Or would you like to check out that part of the blade? I got a few chips in the tip, and a rolled edge almost at the feral.

Oh ya send me your addy., some reason I can't find the address sheet.
I didn't see an address sheet either.

I ment to send this off on Fri., but as I was walking out the door I saw the saya pin. I had no time to repack it, and in a hurry I didn't think about sending it by itself. But as of earlier today its off to RRlover.

Ok I will try to explain what I like and don't about this knife.

Nice looking, I have wanted to have one for a while. Like the blade geometry to a extent.
The steel is very good. The tip is a great cutter with no wedging there at all.
The shape of the handle is ok but the "bump" is to tall for pinch gripping without smashing the fingers there together. Other wise very much like a Global's style.

Dislikes

It would start to wedge in onion slices at about half way down the blade. The tip is like a after thought with the geometry. What I mean is you can see the shape of a normal gyuto, or chef knife before were the tip goes. I hope this makes sense.
With very little work on prep I was finding some chips and rolled edges. I believe that is a problem with heat treat, I could be wrong. I use the same poly board with my Mizuno gyuto with a lot more use than a week on.

All in all it is a very good knife. Would I dissuade anyone from buying one? no Is there better blades out there for the same amount? yes. The only real problem I had was the bump being to big. Otherwise a modified pinch grip was fine with the knife.

At first when I read Eamon's post I thought he was holding back. But after a week with it, it is a nice little cutter that I wouldn't mind having. In total I would give it a B-, C+

Can I remove myself from this pass around, I just don't have the time that will make testing this knife worth the price of shipping.

003-91.jpg

I finally was able to pick the knife up from the post office.First impression is it's handle heavy,not something I care for.I like the profile and need to use it a bit to comment on the geometry.How do I say this without sounding like a Dick........The sharpening job on this blade is just flat out BAD.I can't say I even want to sharpen it,but I may give a little tune up. More to come.

Is that a wire edge in the picture or chips in the blade? :shocked3:

So just sharpen the knife--it's been on a nationwide tour and needs some spa time--you probably wouldn't look much different:lol2:. If you really don't want to tune it up, send it back to me and I will get it down the list

I got a few chips in the tip, and a rolled edge almost at the feral.

I didn't mean to seem like I was passing off onto someone else. I was wondering how you would like to review it.
There is a saying that a pic says a 1000 words and all of them I got was counter to what was said in your post. You can send it back to me, I'll fix it.

Someone sharpened that too acutely for the work that was being done with it, I must suggest. Either that or someone was cutting rocks with it, and I doubt "Stone soup" was on the menu.

I sharpened her up a bit and prepped a meal.I really like this knifes profile,it works for me.I wish I could say it cut great but it did not.The grind needs a little tweaking on this blade to stop the wedging.The Tang should be tapered also to lighten it up a bit.Two minor tweaks and I feel she would be worth every bit of the $500 price tag.Oh I forgot to mention the blade steel.It sharpened up easy but the large amount of steel that fell of the edge from a light sharpening was odd,a first for me. Thanx

Ahhh, stone soup! One of my favorite "food brings us together"stories!

Someone sharpened that too acutely for the work that was being done with it, I must suggest. Either that or someone was cutting rocks with it, and I doubt "Stone soup" was on the menu.

Back