Cut To The Quick

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grinders give me the heebie-jeebies. Spent a summer working for a big American car manufacturer making crank shafts (70-85 lb hunks of iron.) An electrician was working on the grinding wheels and wired them backwards, and instead of backing away they came into the spinning crankshaft and tossed it over a machine guard, where it hit the eletrician and climbed up his back. I don't think he survived. Another guy I know had scars all over his chest from a grinding wheel that got loaded up and blew itself to bits. Definitely equipment to treat with respect.

Never more than a little nick prepping food, but there was that time I fumbled a Suji doing final finish at home in my socks... landed in my toe.. went clean through ,stuck into the wood floor:eek2:

I have dreams where that happens to me at work.

Never more than a little nick prepping food, but there was that time I fumbled a Suji doing final finish at home in my socks... landed in my toe.. went clean through ,stuck into the wood floor:eek2:

Will, you have selective amnesia, "Unfortunately I cut my hand pretty badly yesterday, had some stitches and have to get the tendons checked tomorrow in the hospital". That was just a while ago, and I seem to remember you had a fight with some equipment just a while before that. Lol, I have seen some pretty gnarly cuts on your hands in pics too.

I think that involved a drill press. :lol2:
Will, you have selective amnesia, "Unfortunately I cut my hand pretty badly yesterday, had some stitches and have to get the tendons checked tomorrow in the hospital". That was just a while ago, and I seem to remember you had a fight with some equipment just a while before that. Lol, I have seen some pretty gnarly cuts on your hands in pics too.

Don, I will still occasionally get nicked by the edge of a belt, but it has been a while since I went straight into one.
Oh boy.

One guy who was in a metal workshop with me had the grinder running with a 36 (these were old Wiltons, with a constant 9000 RPM). He reached over to put the spark guard down and the belt ripped into his bone, through his glove.

lol, yep can't blame knives for the stitches. That was indeed a hand drill press swarf tangle....at least knife cuts are nice and clean.:D

Yep, it happens to everyone-no matter how long you've been doing it. It makes you feel like such a rookie!
DSC_00022.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_00052.jpg
[/IMG]

I've never cut this much of a fingernail off. It feels really weird and I can't stop knocking it into stuff and making it bleed more!
Sometimes the evil gods of the kitchen demand your blood......
.....seriously......
.....I really believe that.
Anyway, I bought this enormous 280 Takeda gyuto from mhenry before xmas. It got me through the holiday season without sharpening but I took it to the Stones concert this weekend........
usually when I feel an edge on my fingernail it's enough of a warning for me to stop or slow the cut.
This was so quick, so fast.............OUCH!!!
Thanks to mhenry and Takeda!

damn chris, that looks like something i saw a cook do with a big double handed cheese knife to the finger nail.

Guess that's why my suji showed up with 3mm missing from the tip.

i get cut like that a lot knyfeknerd, my nail is just growing back to proper length at the moment. lol. how is yours doing?

Gaaahhh! Paged down and saw that photo. OOOOOWWWWWWWwwwwww! Just about made me wet my pants just looking at it.

How do you treat something like that? I'd think an antibiotic ointment and keep it covered.

That one merits a poor baby. Poor baby!

Heh....I did that a couple of months ago...well, maybe not quite that much fingernail, but it weren't pleasant. Worst part is how eager those cuts are to start bleeding again. The slightest provocation...

Lucretia: yup, ointment and band-aids for a week or so, then let it out in the air to finish healing. took me about 2-3 weeks for it to no longer be visible (was still a little tender though).

2 days of bandaids and letting it air dry. and being super careful from getting bumped or hit or whatever. hurts like a mother. lol.

i would share a picture of my right hand with all the stitches my fingers have when i was drunk and had 3 of my finger's tendons separated then had to get stitched up so they could work again. lol. i have 99% mobility on it so it's not a problem. thank god i'm a lefty. lol. a long story.

Reminds me of the time years ago, before I had any decent knife skills, and I put my thumb through the julienne blade on a Beriner. My thumbnail looked like a Venetian blind. No bueno...

i get cut like that a lot knyfeknerd, my nail is just growing back to proper length at the moment. lol. how is yours doing?
Just did it yesterday. Today was my 1st full day at work with it and let me say "IT SUCKS!!!!!"
It's hard to properly hold things to cut, so my knife skills today were on par with that of a 3 year old. It's okay though, hopefully tomorrow I won't even be able to feel it.

Lucretia, thanks for the "ooohhh baby" -I needed that. And not in a perverted way!

Spike, I'm disturbed about making your toes curl! lol

Hey knyfeknerd, just get your salt and pepper on all day, will be fine tomorrow.

Just did it yesterday. Today was my 1st full day at work with it and let me say "IT SUCKS!!!!!"
It's hard to properly hold things to cut, so my knife skills today were on par with that of a 3 year old. It's okay though, hopefully tomorrow I won't even be able to feel it.

takes me 2 full days before i not feel it enough to work with my right hand. i just work with four fingers and tuck my pointing finger when that happens. and yes it sucks butt.

I needed that. And not in a perverted way!

lol--no, in a Pobrecito, Poor baby, I'm probably old enough to be your mama way. Ouch. Hope it's starting to feel at least a little better.

worst self inflicted damage ive done was from a peeler with surgical grade blade. knife, never more than a thin slice of meat taken off where as the peeler damn near took off my entire palm.

The worst I ever seen, was a guy ran his whole palm over a motorized slicer. Never seen that guy again after that day.

On Sunday I knocked a knife off the cutting board and went to catch it.

Yes, you read that right. I tried to catch a falling knife.

With my hand.

In my defense, my sinuses have been stuffed for a week straight, so my judgement and equilibrium is a little off. But yes, despite having cooked professionally for two decades, I'm the ass who tried to snatch a spinning razor from midair.

Derp.

On Sunday I knocked a knife off the cutting board and went to catch it.

Yes, you read that right. I tried to catch a falling knife.

With my hand.

In my defense, my sinuses have been stuffed for a week straight, so my judgement and equilibrium is a little off. But yes, despite having cooked professionally for two decades, I'm the ass who tried to snatch a spinning razor from midair.

Derp.

It's a rare chance to say the following with only good intentions in my heart:

I hope you completely failed!

The Washington Post had an article about knife injuries just the other day--it said there were almost 330,000 hospital visits due to knife injuries in 2011. (Of course, that probably counted the stabbings, but still...)

I did like the saying "a falling knife has no handle."

Oh, hell yeah I failed. Put a half-inch gash in my middle finger, sideway into the middle of the nail. And everyone laughed and laughed while I taped myself up and fell behind on my station.

Sounds more like you succeeded at a very bad idea! Nice to know that even in the high-pressure world of the commercial kitchen, tenderness among co-workers still exists though. <ahem>

I did like the saying "a falling knife has no handle."

I like this! I'm going to adapt it into my range safety protocol (a falling gun has no handle).

Sounds more like you succeeded at a very bad idea! Nice to know that even in the high-pressure world of the commercial kitchen, tenderness among co-workers still exists though. <ahem>

I like this! I'm going to adapt it into my range safety protocol (a falling gun has no handle).

Amen to that!

Back