Cut To The Quick

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clot powder from the drug store and a gauze works better and causes MUCH less trauma than an amateur trying to learn cautery in a kitchen setting.
Just my :2cents:

You can use tobacco as a very effective clot powder and ground white pepper but it hurts like hell.

Never had stitches so I know not the worst thing here. I dropped a shun beater paring knife on a tile floor and broke the tip. No big deal, the standard tip was sort of blunt anyway so I decided to "fix" it by giving it a screaming pointy tip. Worked awesome. I dried the knife with a dish towel and set it on my counter as I cleaned up the surrounding mess. I got to a point where I needed to dry up some water, picked up the towel, paring knife fell into my foot. I mean the nice sharp pointy part worked. Really well. Knife stood vertical. I'm much more cautious since then.

My new Masamoto KS became officially mine yesterday as I was carving up one of the two beer can chickens I made, I slipped over the side of the cartilage of the breast and sliced the upper portion of my index finger pretty good. Nice clean cut on a sharp knife - gotta love it. Good thing my mother in law didn't get wind of it, she doesn't take well to injuries and just goes off the deep end.

k-fed, i think i have a permanent hotel pan cut on the side of the first knuckle of my index finger, swear there is always an open gap there!!

recently stabbed myself in the knee with a new 270 gyuto. at end of a shift, i was knelt down on the floor to take out a ceramic steel, was too lazy to stand back up and i began using it while kneeling. in the process of bringing the knife across i somehow slipped and put the pointy end directly into my knee cap. it probably looked like i did it intentionally, haha. poured vodka over it, then gauze with tape. didn't stop bleeding for two days. tape ended up ripping up the skin behind my knee and that hurt a lot more than the damn wound itself.

I knew this thread would get a lot of play when I started it, but I'm sorry it's getting as much as it is. I guess when you play with fire (knives) you're gonna get burned (cut, stabbed).

k-fed, i think i have a permanent hotel pan cut on the side of the first knuckle of my index finger, swear there is always an open gap there!!

recently stabbed myself in the knee with a new 270 gyuto. at end of a shift, i was knelt down on the floor to take out a ceramic steel, was too lazy to stand back up and i began using it while kneeling. in the process of bringing the knife across i somehow slipped and put the pointy end directly into my knee cap. it probably looked like i did it intentionally, haha. poured vodka over it, then gauze with tape. didn't stop bleeding for two days. tape ended up ripping up the skin behind my knee and that hurt a lot more than the damn wound itself.
I Definitely have a new found respect for hotel pans. My finger has healed up pretty nicely but the area around the injury is still numb. Don't think I'll ever get feeling back there. Still kinda weirds me out.

Top three things that cut me:
Steel Scrubbies
Mysterious corners inside of stoves/ovens
And no the most often, but by far the worst: the mandoline. Once it tastes blood it will thirst forever. It will wait until you absolutely need those hard vegetables shaved NOW and will ruin your palm/fingertips.

I came close to gutting myself drawing a neck knife from under my shirt a couple days ago at work. Luckily it was not nearly as bad as it could have been.

You experienced knuts, do you still cut yourselves when sharpening? I'm careful about holding and positioning my knife correctly when on the stones but I've done it enough to want to nominate grey and red as house colours for this forum.

it looked impressive when i saw it. i got myself on the steel boxes with the latch that are like cold boxes/hot boxes man that latch sliced my finger nice

Chopped half an inch off the end of my left index finger whilst multi tasking and not concentrating during a trial shift two years ago. Brand new Sabatier. Got infected. Month out of action. Got the job! My finger tip was on the board. Into the bin, quick bench sanitise. "uh, where do you guys keep the first aid box?"

I have yet to sharpen any knife that has not bit me at least once when I have put an edge ,or sharpened it . Most often then not .

Sam

35b5f9.jpeg

ouch...

knife slipped while skinning a pork belly. Have been out for a week as my left hand has been rendered useless. I cant pick anything up. Getting stitches out tomorrow, hopefully back to work soon. I'm very lucky it didn't sever the tendon.

35b5f9.jpeg

ouch...

knife slipped while skinning a pork belly. Have been out for a week as my left hand has been rendered useless. I cant pick anything up. Getting stitches out tomorrow, hopefully back to work soon. I'm very lucky it didn't sever the tendon.
brutal !!

you are very lucky indeed. is that white bit the tendon?

Latest posts

Back