Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relatives knives too dull to bother with? Check. Cutco? Double check.

Pocket coti to the rescue.
IMG_6255.jpeg

I love my little version of that guy. One of my favorite all time knife stones.

called a ‘Grecian Hone’

How’s the feedback? According to Keats we should expect more tactile than auditory, in his classic encouragement to sharpeners everywhere

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on

</joke>

How’s the feedback? According to Keats we should expect more tactile than auditory, in his classic encouragement to sharpeners everywhere

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on

</joke>

Feels hard and dense like a translucent or Black Arkansas. However it doesn't feel glassy at all. The surface has a little bit of grip that grabs metal and raises swarf quick. More like a Shapton Glass 8k. This makes it a phenomenal touch up stone and/or final deburring stone. Able to put a very keen fresh microbevel without raising a new burr or polishing away your toothiness.

Well it’s not flawless but this is the closest I’ve come to cleanly slicing paper towel, and the irony is that it’s with my cheapest stone!

I picked up a big slab of what I thought was a Llyn Idwal a few months ago on the bay, before @cotedupy identified it as being more likely than not a Charnley Forest.

It’s hard as hell and is proving to be a pain in the balls to lap the various gouges and pockmarks, but produces a feisty edge very quickly with some slurry.

Last edited:
Is that this stone you showed me at BF the other day @OkayMode …?

IMG_4481.jpeg

Cos that one’s a Nantlle Valley Stone, ie extremely hard Welsh slate.

I wouldn’t be able to get a good paper towel cut off a NV Stone, even with heavy slurry the edges are too refined. And refined edges don’t continue to make the cut, you need more ‘tooth’ for paper towel.

Speaking of which… I took delivery today of a stone I’d completely forgotten I put a little speculative bid on, but am really quite pleased I did. This is an old Pike No.1, sold in the UK by AB Salmen as the ‘Snow Mountain Washita’.

IMG_4459.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

And this one is rather good. It has quite a high SG @2.35, though it acts a fair bit lower than that, and has a difficult-to-describe but quite pleasant ‘sandy’ feedback that a lot of my favourite Washitas do.

And proved more than a match for old Sabatier stainless when I gave it trial run earlier this evening, on what has rapidly become my most used kitchen knife. :)

IMG_4479.jpeg

Cos that one’s a Nantlle Valley Stone, ie extremely hard Welsh slate.
Oops, at least my sharpening is getting better than my memory recall (not much of an impressive feat) 🤦‍♂️

I wouldn’t be able to get a good paper towel cut off a NV Stone, even with heavy slurry the edges are too refined. And refined edges don’t continue to make the cut, you need more ‘tooth’ for paper towel.
Boredom led me to have a play with it during some down time today, and I ended up cooking dinner with a Maz that I touched up using the stone.

Out of all the natural ‘edge’ stones I’ve picked up so far (Washita, Aizu, dark Turkey oilstone, BBW and a coti) it was up there with the dark Turkey oilstone as the finest, but it was also surprisingly bitey through tomatoes at the same time whereas I’m not sure the Turkey is that useable for kitchen knives.

Not sure I would use it as a regular finisher for edges, but it certainly seems to add a flourish if I have the time and feel like adding a bit of luxury at the end of a progression.

Last edited:
On reflection, I wonder whether I was able to get an alright edge off this because I sharpened it straight off the freshly lapped side that had been worked with 80 grit sandpaper...

Work kit for new opening tomorrow, sharpened with a coti from @cotedupy - my best edge stone by far
IMG_9694.jpeg

Come think of it, this is a pretty crazy kkf collab! Rehandle on the gyuto by @KasumiJLA with wood from @jedy617. And another knife sold to me by @mockit who kindly remembered I was looking. Four generous members coming together in one mini-kit

Last edited:
Work kit for new opening tomorrow, sharpened with a coti from @cotedupy - my best edge stone by far
View attachment 313282
Come think of it, this is a pretty crazy kkf collab! Rehandle on the gyuto by @KasumiJLA with wood from @jedy617. And another knife sold to me by @mockit who kindly remembered I was looking. Four generous members coming together in one mini-kit

High praise indeed! Though please don't make me regret selling that stone any more than I already do. :mad:

;)

Are they expensive?

Unfortunately so, prices have risen steeply in the last few years.

Currently; gram for gram, the best cotis (like EdT's above) probably cost at least as much as the most expensive jnats.

Last edited:
High praise indeed! Though please don't make me regret selling that stone any more than I already do. :mad:

;)

Unfortunately so, prices have risen steeply in the last few years.

Currently; gram for gram, the best cotis (like EdT's above) cost at least as much as the most expensive jnats.
It's too bad. I wonder how good my edge would be with one of them.
One day, long from now, I'm gonna be cutting paper towels as well as you my friend haha. Still have a lot of learning before that happens though

Back