Death to celebrity chefs!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"If a chef has done their time and are good cooks, I have no problem with them cashing in"
Agreed.

You can only bust your ass on the line for so long before you burn out completely,if someone drives up with a truck full of cash,you'd be crazy to say no.
What is the definition of "selling out" anyway? Becoming a executive/corporate chef who sits on his/her ass all day,never stepping on the line? Someone shilling pots and pans/knives/soup?
who cares.let them have their cake..

Sorry, I didn't read through all if these posts. However, I get you. It's incredibly hypocritical of Anthony Bourdain to be on an absolute **** show like "The Taste". I'm a big fan of his, and I even tuned in, when I found out he was on it. He's the same old Tony, but man does that show suck... Anyways....

I do feel that I should stick up for the world of celebrity chefs, because they really are just taking a nice paycheck home to their families, and we'd all do the same. I'm a Tyler Florence fan (or I was when I watched Food Network). He, along with Anthony Sedlak (RIP), all of the guys on Iron Chef America in its early days helped keep me excited about cooking when I needed extra motivation or inspiration. When I was a kid, I watched Chef Pasquale (RIP), and "Wok with Yan" whenever I could. If I see these show on the air, I'll keep them on for a few minutes, get all melancholy and realize you can never go back to the green. It's just part of life. For me to say I hate celebrity chefs would be more hypocritical than anything Anthony Bourdain is currently subjecting himself and America to. These "chefs" made me love cooking, or at the very least, fanned the flames. As a matter of fact, since I became too good for these shows, my passion for food has waned. Maybe I need a heaping spoonful of trite celebrity chefdom to make me remember why I love to cook. I now cook at work (in a different setting than most of you here), and it feels damned good seeing a group of guys stuffing their faces with food I gave a **** about. When a new guy comes in and says, "I heard we eat well here, because of you", well that's pretty friggin' nice... Sadly, at home, until the past couple of months, my wife was not getting to eat the food I cooked with love, because after cookin at work, I didn't want to make anything complicated. She told me she missed seeing me in the kitchen, singing some stupid song, accidentally dropping a piece or five of food onto the floor for my dog to help clean up. I lost my passion for food, and it's now coming back...Thank God! Turns out I missed it too.

I can't help but think that many chefs "in the trenches" hold some animosity towards celebrity chefs because they make huge coin, and don't have to pull 70 hour weeks. I've come to realize that many chefs also hold some hard feeling towards the "Martha Stewart crowd", and it turns out I was getting caught up in the same BS. At least this crowd, or some of them, love doing what they're doing in the kitchen; look around the next time you're at work and count the people in there who truly give a **** about their craft. Then count the number who are doing it purely to pay the bills. Is one more honorable than the other? Not to me. Honor is in doing what you can and what is necessary to put a roof over the head of your loved ones and to make sure they have food in their bellies. If you can be passionate about what you do to provide for your family, then congratulations - you are blessed. However, just being a home cook, or someone who looks up to celebrity chefs is not something to be ashamed about. Is there anything wrong with going to work, picking your kid up from school, hugging, and I mean actually meaning it when you hug, hugging your husband or wife and then putting together a meal that was put together with pride and excitement for your family to enjoy? If there is, then I want out. Somewhere along the lines we must have forgotten what matters.

My biggest issue now is that almost all the television shows out there are focused on reality television and not on the process and performance of cooking. The biggest culprit is the food network. Chopped, cupcake wars, restaurant impossible, and most importantly triple D could all be axed and I would not miss them for a day. Create channel on pbs is about the only shows on food that I will watch anymore. Bayless and Eric Ripert and Pepin is about all I have watched recently and now my digital cable goes out and I can't even watch those anymore.

As a homey cook, I really enjoy learning new techniques and processes that I did not previously know how to do. I grew up watching Yan and Justin Wilson and that really turned into a passion for food. That is where I enjoy watching Ripert, Bayless and Pepin. Selling out is such a fine line to getting paid for something you are passionate about. I don't care if those people sold out, ultimately the producers and the network execs end up ruining the shows for marketing and making a buck. If any of you really think Bourdain "Sold" out then read his rant about why No Reservations got axed. He refused to accept product placements for something that he didn't want to promote. If I could reduce my 70-80 hour weeks and get paid more to do it, I guess I probably would consider that too.

From an executive perspective, I remember a quote that a very successful CEO told me once that has always stuck in my head. The key to a successful person isn't always being the best or the smartest, it is surrounding yourself with the best and smartest people and making sure that they know they are appreciated for what they do. That breeds loyalty. Some of these people realize this and set strict guidelines to their product but give latitude to their people to create and cultivate the product. That is why their restaurants still do well. Others will just be a flash in the pan and be gone. I guess that probably will be the true test if these individuals restaurants stand the test of time or if they go quickly along the wayside.

I grew up watching another celebrity chef--Julia Child, still the original source of my interest in well prepared food. I do not watch tv so can't say how bad the current crop is, but it had been getting bad last I paid attention. I know I sound old just saying this, but times sure have changed.

Give me Jacques and "Two Fat Ladies" and I'm a happy guy. :bliss:

wow somebody actually remembers the two fat ladies from bbc.

=D

grew up watching them, jacques and julia child. and a side of "wonda powda!", cook with yan. lol.

made me wanna cook for a living.

Me too! Then I found out I can sleep at work, drive a big red truck that is noisey as all hell, cut cars apart and cook for a living. ;)

Here here, brother.

Throw some cornstarch on the chafed gnads/gooch. You'll feel like a million bucks :)

Personally, I can't stand Bobby Flay. But Martin Yan is the man.

This is my 200th post. I'm glad I could use the word gooch in my 200th post.

NEEEEEXXXTT UP!
O Mario Batali, the entire population of Italy knows less than you do about any and all things Italian. Anything ever created in the history of the universe was first invented in Italy. And you love to proclaim this. You will speak on and on and on and on about it without pausing for a breath until you almost pass out from lack of oxygen.
The pompous whimsy tone of your voice makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with bamboo skewers.
I've got some of your cookbooks that I do like. I'm pretty sure you are a damn good cook too. But please shut up about Italy.
Humpty Dumpty called and he wants his body back.
If I ever saw you on the street I would cut that disgusting bald-man comb-over pony tail thing off and shove it in your mouth so you wouldn't shout from the mountaintops about the glory of all things Italian.
I've got no problem with Italy, just your incessant unprovoked impromptu history lesson if I were to even mention anything food or non-food related.
Do you own ANY clothes besides orange Crocs, cargo shorts and a fleece vest?
Yep, you're rich and I'm not. You'll laugh all the way to the bank or whatever it's called in Italian.
But I wish you would just go away for a looooooonnngggg time.

:rofl2:

He annoys the living daylights out of me.

Hmmmm. Mario Batali has never been my favorite. I've never owned one of his books or watched any cooking shows of his other than the occasional Iron Chef. BUT when I went to Chicago a few years ago I tried to make a reservation at The Publican. They were closed for a charity event. So after some searching, I ended up buying tickets to the charity event and Mario was cooking with Paul Kahan. Before the dinner, Mario played guitar with a grammy-award-winning music ensemble. He sucked, but he played.

Our freaked out American celebrity food scene makes it easy to caricature these types -- especially since Mario is fat and wears those awful clothes, hair, and crocs...but I cut him some slack because of this. A lot of them chefs -- just like Batali did that night -- use their image and stature for charity too.

I just throw that out there. He helped raise thousands of dollars for music in the Chicago area. With all that is bad, also comes some good -- usually.

k.

Edit: Sorry for the downer, I know it is fun to rip on these guys, and I myself like to do it too. I just had to say this as I have some personal experience to the contrary.

I agree with a lot of your Batali talk, but I still like the guy and would love to drink a Peroni or five with him on the patio. I bet he's hilarious!

Confession time...we all have guilty pleasures, right?.. Well, with my funny schedule, I'm...ahem...forced into daytime tv, sometimes. And, well...I kinda like "The Chew". There, I said it!

i hate me bastianich. he can have his restaurants and shove it. =D

I agree with a lot of your Batali talk, but I still like the guy and would love to drink a Peroni or five with him on the patio. I bet he's hilarious!

Confession time...we all have guilty pleasures, right?.. Well, with my funny schedule, I'm...ahem...forced into daytime tv, sometimes. And, well...I kinda like "The Chew". There, I said it!

Oh Tom..... I guess we can forgive you for that, maybe, lol

"You'll go Lansberry... for this cranberry.... cause it's dinner she wrote."

You're a bit more ursine than what I remember. Getting colder up there?

Between the holidays and now restaurant week(s), just haven't had time to shave...or get a hair cut.

Honestly, I don't know. Just the way it is right now.

The Deen Family
I know I'm not the only/first person to express my hatred for Paula, but I must add that her sons are absolute turdburglars as well.
#1 -Your food sucks. Your restaurant that made you "famous" is a disgusting southern heart-attack buffet. The food there is tourist-trap garbage. I'd rather munch on a warm nugget out of my cat's litter box than eat at your establishment.
#2 Hey Yeauwwww!!!! That voice! It's like nails on a chalk board. Hay Ya'll. Errgghhhh
#3 Over Exposure-I can't turn on the TV without your face or one of your son's dumb-asses doing a cooking spot or making a cameo appearance on something. I even saw 2 different Paula Deen knife block sets at Wal-Mart last week. I'll bet Chef Giovanni would like these.
#4 Not just you but your whole family has cashed in on the healthy eating kick. You are pimping any and every product -healthy or not now that you have (in Wilford Brimley voice) Diabetes. I don't only have to suffer through your crap, but now your idiot son has "reworked" all your "classic southern" recipes to be healthy. As if it wasn't bad enough the first time!!!!
#5 You give the south a bad name (sure sing it to the tune of the Bon Jovi song why don'tcha). You and your clan DO NOT represent the Southeastern U.S. You are giving us a bad rep and I insist that you cease and desist!

I could go on, but you get the point.

Back