Deburring help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Founding Member
Reaction score
Good morning. I am having a really hard time with the deburring step in sharpening. My main kitchen knife is a Yoshikane, and while I'm still learning how to freehand sharpen I've tried to stick to just using the King 1k / 6k combo stone. I just can't seem to reliably deburr the blade after raising it on the 1k. I've tried pulling through natural cork (lightly through very firmly for a lot of passes), reverse pyramid stroke schemes, stropping strokes, trying to work harden it and snap it off, moving to the 6k to reduce it, moving to the 6k to reduce and then lightly working on 1k to remove, etc. I've got nothing. Does anyone have a good technique without purchasing a felt block? I'm willing to do so but I'd rather stick with just stones and cork if it's feasible. Thanks!!

My cheap felt fix for you involves going to WalMart. Close to the hardware section, probably where the bathroom fixtures are they have a moving supplies section. Things like pads that you put underneath furniture so it slides across the floor. They have 2 different grades of felt that have adhesive on the other side.
I took pieces of wood and attached the felt to it. Works like a champ on the cheap!]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MASTER-CASTER-COMPANY-Felt-Pads-1-2-x5-7-8-16-PK-Beige/21439120

Save all your wine corks for deburring.

Don't move up stones until the burr is gone from the stone you are using.

I am not sure that deburring after each stone is nesesary. I've seen both opinions but personally I just move up and use lighter pressure on higher grits. Once done, couple passes on cork and if I am not sure, several stropping strokes on diamond loaded leather.

Reduce your pressure with 1k after raising the burr. Watch you rangle. Raising it slightly with very light passes will help remove the burr or make it easier to remove.

Deburring with a wine cork after the initial 1k grit sharpening is hard. Could be a lot of burr at that point. The stropping motion (or:reverse stroke) does the trick, however it's a motion you'll need to learn how to do properly.
I was only able to do it correctly after practicing it on a paddle strop for quite some time.
But before I had that, I just used 2k and 6k stones. As you sharpen on finer and finer grit, deburring occurs naturally. By the time you're done with the 6k, if all is well, you should have very little burr left. This is where the wine cork would come in handy to finish the job.
Now I know you currently don't own a medium stone, but I believe than easing off the pressure at the final steps of your 1k stone, and working on the 6k for enough time, would have the same result.
Best of luck!

Prefer newspaper over felt blocs & corks. I do a one second side sweep off the stone to remove 90%+ of the burr on quality steel(cheap stainless all bets are off). It takes a while to master this tech., but if you feel for the burr on both sides you will get good at it with practice. Finish any residual on cheap newsprint. Again don't overdo it last angle on stone one heel sweep & tip sweep on each side.

If you are getting an even burr heel to tip, you are in good shape your edge is meeting. Burr removal can be over done remember just a little metal hanging over the edge. Correct angle and a lite touch do the trick.

Back