Demeyere frying pans review, Proline, Multiline, Industry, Ecoline etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovidah

I'll make you a sponsor offer you can't refuse...
Reaction score
Since I've done a fair amount of research before my purchases, have a good amount of experience now, and got some nice extra information from Demeyere I figured I'd do a bit of a comprehensive writeup to bundle all the information together. May it be of use for people in helping decide on future purchases; I really struggled to find useful comparisons to help me choose between different lines when I made my purchase.

First some caveats / limitations:
-I am based in Europe. As a result I have never used, touched, or even seen an All-Clad up close so I am unable to provide any comparison with them. The same applies for popular newcomers on the market like Made-In; never saw 'em, never used them.
-My writeup is mostly useful for deciding between different lines of Demeyere pans or between Demeyere and similar style pans. Can't really help you to decide between for example disk bottom and clad pans.
-I own a 24, 28 & 32 cm Multiline, and a 24 & 28 Proline. Was able to touch and handle most of the others but these are the ones I actually used long-term.
-I'm not a non-stick user and as a result I never owned or care about any of their non-stick stuff. The non-stick stuff is quite different from the stainless stuff, so what I say here doesn't necessarily apply to those.
-I don't know what's available on for example the US market, or when it will be in the future. Apparently the Multiline and Ecoline are mostly available in Europe, but perhaps demand can drive supply.

Specifics common across the different lines:
-At time of writing warranty is the same 30 years all the way from the entry level Ecoline to the Proline. Check before you buy though, up until fairly recently for example the Ecoline only got 10 years of warranty, so the warranty situation can change.
-Demeyere sizing measures the inside of the pan, rim to rim. That means they can be a bit bigger than other brands that measure differently. For example the outside diameter of my Demeyere 28's is about 1,5 cm more than my Debuyer 28's.
-All their pans will have the same internal measurements regardless of thickness. As a result they'll all fit the same lids (so a 24 cm lid will fit on any pan of any line of that size), and you can mix and match lids between different series if you so desire.
-They basically come in 2 thicknesses, the 3-3.3mm and the big fat 4.8mm. So Ecoline, Multiline, Industry frying pans will all have similar thermal performance.
-They all come with welded handles. Which is awesome. they're easier to clean than pans with rivets, nothing catches on it while stirring, you don't get any issues with stuff loosening up over time after using too much high heat, and they're still bombproof. Now that I've used them for a while I vastly prefer the welded handles over the rivetted handles, and consider them one of the main selling points of Demeyere.
-It's worth shopping around since prices can vary significantly between retailers. I ended up buying all my pans from www.bestsale.be and www.artencraft.nl, but prices can fluctuate and sometimes a shop can have a good deal on something.

Differences between the lines:
-Over here you mostly see Proline, Multiline and Industry, but they have a bunch of other lines (that are often rarely seen in the wild). Their properties can usually be extrapolated from their layer count. So if I say 'multiline' in this section it will also apply to all the other lines that are of similar thickness.

-From a thermal perspective there's basically 'Proline and the rest'. You might walk away with the idea that 'Proline is better' because it's the thickest and the most expensive. In my opinion this is the wrong way to look at it. They are simply different tools for different jobs. Yes, the prolines are the best at searing meat due to their high heat capacity - a good way to look at them is 'a stainless version of a thick heavy cast iron pan'. The thinner models however are lighter, more responsive, heat up a lot faster, easier to handle, and still plenty conductive enough that they're far more useful as all-round pans for sauteing vegetable, and honestly still awesome for meat. If I could only buy 1 pan it would be a Multiline. If I could buy 2 I would consider buying a Multiline and a Proline. Of course as a KKF member I ended up buying 5 but that's a seperate matter. It's entirely reasonable and sensible to buy pans from both lines as they fulfill different roles. For meat I always grab the prolines. For anything else I always grab the multilines. If I didn't know proline existed I'd happily sear all my meat in Multilines and not think any less of it.

-The handles are a bit different; honestly it's not a big deal. Even the ones on the cheap Ecoline are basically the same as on their Apollo line and are quite good and comfortable. I will say that I found all of them a bit on the thin and slim side, but I have somewhat big hands. It wasn't bad enough to be a dealbreaker on any of them though.

-It's a bit sneaky, but some of their products are Designed in Belgium, while others are Designed and produced in Belgium. If in doubt check on the website. Proline, Multiline and Industry are all made in Belgium. Ecoline is made in Vietnam.

-Most of the lines will have the Silvinox surface treatment, but some of the cheaper ones like Ecoline do not. It's supposed to purify the steel in the top layer, make them a bit more stain resistant or whatever, but honestly in general use I can't say I really noticed much of a difference. They'll still develop fond like normal stainless pans, and they'll still clean up quite easy with hot water - but in my experience all stainless pans do.

-There is some difference in thickness within lines based on sizing that's good to be aware of. While the 24, 28 and 32 cm Proline are all 4,8mm the 20 cm pan is only 3mm, just like the other lines. It is therefore rather pointless to pay a premium for a 20 cm proline. Similarly the 32 cm Multiline is slightly thicker (3.3mm vs 3 mm), but this is a negligible difference.

(1/2)

7 vs 5 layers:
-It is my understanding (but this is based mostly on centurylife's writeup) that 5 layer is basically what we know as the common triply / clad stuff (18/10 inside, aluminium core, 18/0 outside), except they also count the thin bonding layers around the aluminium as a seperate layer. With the 7 layer they've basically encapsulated the outside 18/0 in 18/10 which should reseult in better stain resistance. They also claim a slight improvement in performance on induction.
The increase in performance might exist, but I find it hard to notice in practise (even when I used them on induction). I don't notice much of a difference in thermal performance between fancy 7 layers or cheaper stainless clad of similar thickness (Ikea Sensuell frying pans are actually quite similar in thickness to multiline / industry and have quite similar thermal performance). In the end the main determinant is really thickness, especially the thickness of the inner aluminium layer. Which is why you do see a significant difference between multiline and proline, and also a significant difference between multiline and much of the cheaper stuff that tends to be thinner than Demeyere.

-While the difference between 18/0 and 18/10 on the outside is up for debate (my cheap stuff didn't seem to mind years of dishwashing - I guess the 18/10 will stay shiny longer) there is an important difference. Some pans have exposed aluminium on the rim, while others have it encapsulated. It is my experience that this is exactly the weakspot on clad pans; over time with repeated dishwashing the aluminium will just get eaten away by the dishwasher, resulting in a bit of a hollow between the stainless layers on the rim. While it doesn't really impact performance, it's certainly not pretty, and after years of use you can even get sharp feeling edges on the rim as a result.

-In the words of Demeyere: all the 7 series frying pans, Atlantis 7 and Silver 7 conical saucier models have encapsulated rims. They specifically recommend handwashing the pans that have exposed aluminium. If you remotely care about dishwashability (and even if you don't now, you might in the future), this takes half the series off the table. Although this article isn't about conical sauciers, this alone basically means that Atlantis is the only conical saucier I'd want to buy (Silver is just a more expensive fancier looking version of Atlantis & Proline, but functionally equivalent). Apollo series - even though they have 7 layers - explicitly do not have encapsulated rims. This might change at some point in the future, but this is how the situation is now.

-The same issue exists for all the 5 layer stuff. The ever popular Industry series has exposed aluminium on the rims. To me this instantly makes the choice between Multiline and Industry a no-brainer, since you're at most paying 5-10 bucks more to step up to the multiline. There is ONE exception: they mentioned that the Ecoline also has an encapsulated rim.

Deciding on sizing:
-The bottom diameter is a consistent 6 cm less than the pan size.
-24 vs 28 cm is really your own personal preference and depends on the volumes you cook, just keep in mind that Demeyere runs on the big side due to how they measure. I have both and use both. They are sufficient for 95% of my cooking; since the 28's run fairly large due to how they measure it's incredibly rare that I have to step up to the 32 cm.
-While I'm happy with my 32 cm keep in mind that it is really big. I really only use this pan when I'm sauteing larger volumes of vegetables, and it works great on my gas burner, but it's likely that on most electrical burners the bottom of the pan is so much wider than the burners / coils that you can't effectively heat the whole surface. If you need the volume it's worth also looking at other options that are taller. This one definitly comes out to play the least for me, but I'm still happy I have it whenever it does.

The choices to make:
-In my opinion there's really 3 main options that make the most sense: Proline, Multiline and Ecoline. Other lines are often derivative, or inferior due to lacking certain features. My reasoning:

-You occasionally see Demeyere branded stuff with riveted handles. They're no cheaper and the welded handles are IMO superior, so I don't see the point in these.
-You sometimes see slightly rebranded versions (Silver line just being a more expensive Atlantis / Proline, Paweson line just being a Proline without a flared rim, other 5 layer series); they usually cost more or lack features so again I don't see the point in them.
-Considering the price difference is small, any pan with exposed aluminium in the rims is off the table for me, because dishwashability is not something I'm willing to sacrifice to save 5-10 bucks. Even if you don't own a dishwasher now you might in the future. And yes this also rules out the ever so popular Industry series.

That leaves you with 2 questions:
-Do I want a heavy pan specifically for it's heat capacity to sear stuff. Then it's worth considering the Proline. If not, or for more all-round usage, move on to the choice between Multiline and Ecoline.
-Multiline vs Ecoline is tricky. When I purchased my pans they only gave 10 years of warranty on the Ecoline so it was a much easier choice, but now that they give the same 30 years on the Ecoline it's worth considering. The Ecoline is often significantly cheaper, while it should still have similar thermal performance. The handles look more mundane but are still perfectly comfortable. The Ecoline lacks the Silvinox treatment but personally I don't think I'd be able to tell that difference in practise. You get 18/10 on the outside with the 7 layer multiline, and only 18/0 on the Ecoline, but I'm not sure I'll really be able to tell in the long term (it might becomes less shiny). The Ecoline is made in Vietnam while the other stuff is made in Belgium, but that doesn't necessarily make a different in final usage.

Maintenance advice:
Figured I'd share their recommendations:
-Anything with exposed aluminium and non-stick layers they recommend hand-washing.
-They recommend dishwashing products without phosphate because they're less aggressive.
-Eco programs are less desirable because they usually use less water and more time, resulting in a longer exposure to a higher concentration of the chemicals.

Suggested sources / reviews:
CenturyLife.Org (they also go in-depth a lot on on construction and also do comparisons to All-Clad)
https://www.youtube.com/@mqdaily4631 (a really small YT channel but useful since he actually compares a lot of the pans I personally found interesting, only caveat is that his experiences might be colored by his stove).
Consider e-mailing Demeyere with (technical) questions; they were actually quite forthcoming in their answers.

That's about all I have for now. I might edit / expand in the future if I run into more things of note but this was all that came to mind right now. Comments, questions, experiences - even if contradictory to mine - are all welcome!

(2/2)

Really nice writeup. I was thinking of getting some pans. Definitely will check them out 😊
Thanks a lot

I have a full set of Atlantis, including many pans—skillet and saucier—from before the rims were encapsulated. I can confirm that the edges dissolve, but happily, with Atlantis at least, they’ll cover this under warranty.

Also I replaced an Allclad MC2 set with Atlantis. The handles on Demeyere are far superior, but they are heavier. I can still flip the 32 one-handed, but I can understand that many would not be able to do this.

Last edited:
Yeah... I've never used the helper handles on any of mine... but I can imagine that I'm not necessarily representative; my girlfriend for example doesn't even touch the 28 cm Proline because she just finds it too heavy.
In that sense I question the wisdom of putting a helper handle on the 28 cm proline. Those who are strong enough don't need it. Those who would need it tend to skip the pan altogether.

Nice detailed write up. Since you also refer to DeBuyer, how do you find they compare? I have several Debuyer Affinity line frying and saucepans and love them. Mine have the cast handles which are very ergonomic and practical. I wish I could say the same for the Copper Core All Clads in the collection. Worse handles ever, although I have limited experience of other handle designs.

Super helpful write up. Been thinking of getting a couple new Demeyere pans including a conical sauteuse and you've made the decision very straight forward. Seems like the only real option is the Atlantis to be dishwasher proof?

Also I replaced an Allclad AC2 set with Atlantis. The handles on Demeyere are far superior, but they are heavier. I can still flip the 32 one-handed, but I can understand that many would not be able to do this.
What is All Clad AC2? Is that supose to be MC2?

Nice write up. I have never really seen much of the Demeyere products, but I am in the USA. I see them online for sale but none of my friends have any.

Im a big fan myself.

For me I found that the proline is awesome for a frying pan, but I have bought the 5 layer for everything else. I have the 12.6" proline and I've temped it and it's very, very even in terms of heat distribution on my gas stove. Noticeably better than some other pans I own. It's really impressive given just how much surface area the pan has.

That said the 12.6" was a pan I bought at a different time in my life when I was cooking for more than just myself more frequently, and IMO it actually IS too big, which is not something I would normally say about a skillet.

Big fan myself, have a variety of Proline and Atlantis pieces. I think the Atlantis is basically the same as the proline? Maybe wrong in that but thought I saw that somewhere

Thanks for the review! Don't currently have a single stainless pan and I've had my eye on the Proline for a while now... :)
They're definitly worthy of consideration. But as outlined above; so are some of the other lines!
Nice detailed write up. Since you also refer to DeBuyer, how do you find they compare? I have several Debuyer Affinity line frying and saucepans and love them. Mine have the cast handles which are very ergonomic and practical. I wish I could say the same for the Copper Core All Clads in the collection. Worse handles ever, although I have limited experience of other handle designs.
Honestly my De Buyers are carbon steel, not stainless. So that's really an apples to oranges comparison. It's been too long I saw a De Buyer stainless up close to really say anything sensible about them... Personally I'd prefer welded handles over the riveted ones on the De Buyer though.
Super helpful write up. Been thinking of getting a couple new Demeyere pans including a conical sauteuse and you've made the decision very straight forward. Seems like the only real option is the Atlantis to be dishwasher proof?
Yes seems like that to me. Apollo and Industry both have exposed aluminium on the rim. There is the silver series which also has encapsulated rims but this is basically a slightly more expensive Atlantis but functionally equivalent.

Nice write up. I have never really seen much of the Demeyere products, but I am in the USA. I see them online for sale but none of my friends have any.
Not too surprising; I think they've only really entered the US market after being bought by Zwilling in 2008. And due to their pricing they're not exactly mainstream.
Big fan myself, have a variety of Proline and Atlantis pieces. I think the Atlantis is basically the same as the proline? Maybe wrong in that but thought I saw that somewhere
I did some digging and it turns out the US lineup is slightly different. You're correct that the Proline is often marketed as Atlantis in the US. This isn't all that weird considering the Atlantis sauciers and the Prolines have the same 7 layer construction, though it's thinner on the sauciers (3mm vs 4.8mm on the frying pans).

What actually surprises me is that the US lineup offers less (and different) options. The website basically shows just Atlantis/Proline and Industry. No multiline, no ecoline. Quite remarkable considering how the Multiline and Ecoline would be the pans I would recommend to most average people for allround usage. The Proline is overkill for most things except searing (or having terrible stoves requiring the extra thickness for heat distribution), and most of the time I prefer to have the lighter pan instead because it's easier to toss ingredients with.

Thanks for the write-up. Just got a 24 cm proline myself and like it for most things that I've tried in it. Actually thinking about getting a smaller lighter too, perhaps a 20cm multiline or whatever I can get in my country.

One question: Would you use this pan for fish too?

I've tried frying a bit of char and the skin-side down was no problem, but when I flipped it to finish it, the other side tended to stick to the pan. User error or wrong tool for fish without skin?

I've never really felt a need for a 20 cm, but I guess everyone has their own way of cooking. Another option is to get a multiline 24; at 1,31 vs 1,75 kg for the proline it's already noticably lighter.

Others probably have more experience than me on the fish question since I don't eat fish often enough. I have used it for fish in the past a few times but I'm not sure it's ideal. In regards to stickyness they're basically just like all other stainless pans... it can work with the right temperature and right amount of fat, but it's not exactly foolproof (and maybe I just got lucky that the fish I used wasn't that delicate).

I actually have a bunch of the IKEA Sensuells... all bought at different moments. Some have enclosed rims, others don't. Since I don't know which of my pans are oldest I don't know if they moved towards enclosed rims or away from it; for all I know they might even have multiple suppliers who make them slightly differently.
Not sure how relevant it'll be since I think that series on the way out, but my general experience on those, based on owning 2x 28cm frying pan and 2x 24 saucier for 5-10 years now:
-Thickness of the pans is quite good; better than most low budget stuff and from a thermal perspective I had no complaints. In the same park as the 3mm Demeyere, and thermal performance is similar.
-The rivets on the frying pans all started loosening up over time. It's probably due to the exposure to high heat, since I had no such problems on the sauciers.
-The ones with the exposed rims have some deterioration there from dishwashing, the others don't. Other than that they've stood up really well over the years. Maybe some slight discoloration but nothing problematic.
-I have had to exchange 1 pan due to pit corrosion. Who knows maybe it was user error (leaving it too long with salt leftovers in it), but it led me to suspect that maybe the inside was just 18/0 instead of 18/10, though this is just an unconfirmed theory.
-They have flared rims, which is nice.
-THE major drawback is that the handles are way too heavy. This really unbalances the pans. To the point that the saucier actually has a tendency to tip over when empty. It also makes them heavier than they really could be.
-Prices have gone up significantly over the years. Back when they were 30 bucks they were a no-brainer awesome deal. But now that you have to pay 50+ euros I'd rather fork out the little bit of money extra to get entry level Demeyere stuff.

I don't know why Demeyere made that Essential pan with the rivets. Welded is better IMO.

Nice detailed write up. Since you also refer to DeBuyer, how do you find they compare? I have several Debuyer Affinity line frying and saucepans and love them. Mine have the cast handles which are very ergonomic and practical.
Yes, the De Buyer Affinity handle is nice but too heavy for the 20cm frying pan making it unstable with a light pat even on a flat counter top and the 24cm frying pan is unstable on my gaz stove that have open crosses with 4 arms above burners. I have to align the handle with a arm. Should be fine with more arms.
The 28 cm is fine.
If you like the De Buyer Affinty handle, the Mineral B Pro (carbon) frying pans have the same handle.
I'm a great fan of the lyonnaise shape of De Buyer carbon and stainless frying pans that I prefer over the Demeyere proline shape but the later have greater cooking surface. The Demeyere Proline are much thicker, 4.8mm vs 2.7mm for the De Buyer Affinity frying pans.

The Mauviel M'cook series have good handle, much lighter.

I am happy with my Mauviel 10-inch pan. It is copper with stainless lined. I run it on a lower gas heat setting than my other pans and it browns better. I don't remember the model. I would have to go look. It has very even heat distribution.

Last edited:
I actually have a bunch of the IKEA Sensuells... all bought at different moments. Some have enclosed rims, others don't. Since I don't know which of my pans are oldest I don't know if they moved towards enclosed rims or away from it; for all I know they might even have multiple suppliers who make them slightly differently.
Not sure how relevant it'll be since I think that series on the way out, but my general experience on those, based on owning 2x 28cm frying pan and 2x 24 saucier for 5-10 years now:
-Thickness of the pans is quite good; better than most low budget stuff and from a thermal perspective I had no complaints. In the same park as the 3mm Demeyere, and thermal performance is similar.
-The rivets on the frying pans all started loosening up over time. It's probably due to the exposure to high heat, since I had no such problems on the sauciers.
-The ones with the exposed rims have some deterioration there from dishwashing, the others don't. Other than that they've stood up really well over the years. Maybe some slight discoloration but nothing problematic.
-I have had to exchange 1 pan due to pit corrosion. Who knows maybe it was user error (leaving it too long with salt leftovers in it), but it led me to suspect that maybe the inside was just 18/0 instead of 18/10, though this is just an unconfirmed theory.
-They have flared rims, which is nice.
-THE major drawback is that the handles are way too heavy. This really unbalances the pans. To the point that the saucier actually has a tendency to tip over when empty. It also makes them heavier than they really could be.
-Prices have gone up significantly over the years. Back when they were 30 bucks they were a no-brainer awesome deal. But now that you have to pay 50+ euros I'd rather fork out the little bit of money extra to get entry level Demeyere stuff.

I don't know why Demeyere made that Essential pan with the rivets. Welded is better IMO.
The handle longevity is defined a concern on younger and newer stuff. I’ve seen riveted all clad survive tons of abuse in professional kitchen, maybe the material difference between the rivet and steel could cause expansion during intense heat, cheap manufacturers just didn’t account for that.

I am happy with my Mauviel 10-inch pan. It is copper with stainless lined. I run it on a lower gas heat setting than my other pans and it browns better. I don't remember the model. I would have to go look. It has very even heat distribution.
I've given copper serious consideration over the years, but for me THE major downside is that they're not induction compatible. Considering a lot of houses here are already built without a gas connection, and there are plans to take existing houses off gas connections, there's a very significant chance I'll be moving on to induction sooner or later. So with every pan I've bought in the last couple of years, even though I cook on gas right now, it's a hard requirement for me that they work properly on induction.
The handle longevity is defined a concern on younger and newer stuff. I’ve seen riveted all clad survive tons of abuse in professional kitchen, maybe the material difference between the rivet and steel could cause expansion during intense heat, cheap manufacturers just didn’t account for that.
I think you're on to something there... because 'handles going loose' isn't a guaranteed given, considering my deBuyer carbon steel pans have received by far the worst abuse, yet they're still bomb proof.

I have a few Debuyer carbons, a set of Fissle pro pots, an aging Demeyere 'non stick' frying pan and a stainless lined Debuyer copper pan. I looked at the Demeyere lines you described as I really liked the Demeyere frying pan with it's 'overheating prevention', IME so far I think the I prefer the Fissler pots on induction.

I've got 3 Demeyere pans. I bought them during the last 2-3 years. And I very much regret I did not know about them earlier. I love them all.
A 28 cm Proline has become our main frying pan ever since it came into our house. My wife absolutely adores it.
Then we have a 32 cm Multifunction pan. Which is the same as Multiline pans but with 2 small handles.
And there is an Apollo sauté pan with 2 small handles as well (which in some catalogs considered as a shallow pot).
We've got as well a 24 cm Zwilling Prime quite some time ago. And it seems to me it's the same as Demeyere Ecoline.

I own 2 pans of the Demeyere Atlantis, usuing them on an induction oven. Tbh... I wouldn´t buy normal pots from them again. Yes, they are good looking and sturdy as well. But the heat distribution isn´t what I expected.

Many years ago I took a test with an 12year old ansolutely cheap IKEA set and a 20cm Demeyere Atlantis one. Both of them had the exaxt amount of water in them and had to reach the same boiling temperature...they took nearly the same time, just a difference in seconds and way below 5%. I have to admit, I am a pan cook, not an oven chef ;-) and I strongly dislike how long it takes till the Demeyere react to a change of temperature. Of course, thats the reason for all this material. I love my 32cm sauteuse/Multifunction pan from them just for the size.

But most of the time I am using the Fissler ones my better half bought before we knew each other. Fast on temperature, way lighter and they didnt even cost half.

Everything goes in the dishwasher and everything came out well.

The Demeyere are really beautiful, well made and sturdy but it´s the same as with knifes: You can get the job done by a way lower price but not with the same effect. ;-)

Can someone share a use case where you want the pan temp to drop quickly when you add food? Or rise quickly with food already in the pan?

Back