Demeyere frying pans review, Proline, Multiline, Industry, Ecoline etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone share a use case where you want the pan temp to drop quickly when you add food? Or rise quickly with food already in the pan?
Yes, but it's not a common use case.

I like to add eggs to a very hot (Leidenfrost effect temperature) pan to allow them to seal without sticking to the pan, then allow them to cook at low temp.

I do this in a well seasoned carbon steel pan if I can but when on holiday, it's often on a fairly cheap stainless pan.

At home, I use carbon for a lot of frying but the prolines are great if temperature stability is important or if acidic ingredients will be used.

Can someone share a use case where you want the pan temp to drop quickly when you add food? Or rise quickly with food already in the pan?
If making a quick pan sauce maybe you’d take the food out of the pan, add some liquid to deglaze and raise the heat to speed evaporation. The ability to quickly respond to temperature change is the prime reasons people prize copper pans methinks.

I own 2 pans of the Demeyere Atlantis, usuing them on an induction oven. Tbh... I wouldn´t buy normal pots from them again. Yes, they are good looking and sturdy as well. But the heat distribution isn´t what I expected.

Many years ago I took a test with an 12year old ansolutely cheap IKEA set and a 20cm Demeyere Atlantis one. Both of them had the exaxt amount of water in them and had to reach the same boiling temperature...they took nearly the same time, just a difference in seconds and way below 5%. I have to admit, I am a pan cook, not an oven chef ;-) and I strongly dislike how long it takes till the Demeyere react to a change of temperature. Of course, thats the reason for all this material. I love my 32cm sauteuse/Multifunction pan from them just for the size.

But most of the time I am using the Fissler ones my better half bought before we knew each other. Fast on temperature, way lighter and they didnt even cost half.

Everything goes in the dishwasher and everything came out well.

The Demeyere are really beautiful, well made and sturdy but it´s the same as with knifes: You can get the job done by a way lower price but not with the same effect. ;-)
Honestly for boiling water I don't really see the point in high end pans either, regardless of what the brand is. I have cheap Ikea pots that I bought for 15 euros for this and they work fine. But for conical sauciers and frying pans its IMO a different story, and everytime I heat up some leftover sauce in one of those disc pans I'm reminded of how garbage they are for the task.
The last part is easy: whenever you start cooking. I rather not stand there waiting for the pan to heat up if I don't have to.
In general responsiveness is useful when making sauces, when using ingredients that like to burn easily (for example garlic, sugar when making a caramel or making for example beure noisette), or when making carbonara (where too much carryover heat can turn your sauce into scrambled eggs).
But for me the main reason I normally grab the multiline over the proline is simply that it's lighter and easier to toss food in. The massive heat battery is awesome for searing meat, but when I'm not searing meat I rather have the lighter pan.

But for me the main reason I normally grab the multiline over the proline is simply that it's lighter and easier to toss food in. The massive heat battery is awesome for searing meat, but when I'm not searing meat I rather have the lighter pan.

i kind of agree. if the only thing i did was searing steaks, than i'd probably be happy with just the proline, but it is not like i cook worse steaks with the multiline 😅 it doesn't really make an important difference.
the proline is quite unwieldy and will not make anyone a better cook or make better food. i also have the industry 5-ply, and prefer that before the proline as well. it's not like 'more layers equals better pan'. to be honest, the high quality 3-ply restaurant supply pans i also use are probably the pans i grab most.

and, more money or more layers or thicker whatever will not boil water faster (within certain parameters of course, home cook volumes). sometimes, on the contrary. but i respect that some people might really want to cut 30 secs on their water boiling.

i kind of agree. if the only thing i did was searing steaks, than i'd probably be happy with just the proline, but it is not like i cook worse steaks with the multiline 😅 it doesn't really make an important difference.
IMO the proline does meat slightly better.... but I'd only use that as an argument to make one of the pans a proline if you're buying two. If you're only getting one I'd always recommend multiline because it's just more convenient.
the proline is quite unwieldy and will not make anyone a better cook or make better food. i also have the industry 5-ply, and prefer that before the proline as well. it's not like 'more layers equals better pan'. to be honest, the high quality 3-ply restaurant supply pans i also use are probably the pans i grab most.
I think multiline and industry are fairly similar in thermal performance, weight etc. Honestly the only difference I care about is that the central layer is exposed in the Industry series which makes them less ideal for dishwashing long term. I agree the 'more layers is better' is just marketing bs. If you're looking at pure thermal performance a multiline and an Ikea Sensuell aren't all that different.
and, more money or more layers or thicker whatever will not boil water faster (within certain parameters of course, home cook volumes). sometimes, on the contrary. but i respect that some people might really want to cut 30 secs on their water boiling.

I never cared one iota about water boiling stats. If I want to boil water fast, regardless of whether I'm on gas or induction, the electric kettle still wins.
In general total continuous heat output is more a function of the stove than of the pan. A thicker bottom is great when frying stuff (when you want equal heat distribution both in space and time), but for boiling water it's only going to make it slower.

Years ago, I had a Costco pasta pot, and it had a silver disc on the bottom. I started noticing that it took a lot longer than my Rever ware pot to boil water. I hate waiting for pasta water to boil. It was more than 30 seconds. It had a nice pasta basket but now I just pour it into a colander in the sink as I gave away the silver disc pot.

the advantage of the proline is more useful when you need to cook a LOT of big pieces of protein at once.

I have the big 12.6" one and while it's massive it *is* an amazing shallow fryer as well as a pan I have no fear putting two real, properly sized ribeyes in at once. I own no other pan where that is true.

Revereware could burn water though. My parents had them before I somewhat emphatically replaced them all with proper cookware. Not Demeyere though. I don’t think my mother could even lift one.

Honestly it's really only the proline that's so excessively heavy, the thinner lines like multiline / industry are a lot more managable.

But like tcmx3 said; if you want to properly sear big chunks of protein, the heavier proline does have that special ability of just staying at the exact same temperature after dunking in the meat in a way very few other pans can.
Different horses for different courses though.

FWIW, half a year later I still really like my Demeyere pans, and I still really like that I bought different pans from different lines. Multiline sees more use than the Proline, but I'm quite happy that I have both.

the advantage of the proline is more useful when you need to cook a LOT of big pieces of protein at once.

I have the big 12.6" one and while it's massive it *is* an amazing shallow fryer as well as a pan I have no fear putting two real, properly sized ribeyes in at once. I own no other pan where that is true.
that is probably why I like the Fissler proline stuff so much

I think Fissler proline is somewhat in the same thermal & weight category as Demeyre proline right? I think it had a 7mm disk bottom?

Can anyone comment on how the Paderno Grand Gourmet line stacks up against the Demeyre Pro/Industry? Paderno is 3 ply but with a 7mm base for the larger sizes, and no rivets. Believe it can be had for less than the Demeyres.

Can anyone comment on how the Paderno Grand Gourmet line stacks up against the Demeyre Pro/Industry? Paderno is 3 ply but with a 7mm base for the larger sizes, and no rivets. Believe it can be had for less than the Demeyres.

Never used them, but wouldn't hesitate to buy. Specs are great – apart from maybe a bit too heavy for all kinds of use. But that's the trade of. I'd be happy to trade my Demeyere Proline for a Paderno – just for curiosity and no risk of loosing anything (clad sides are rarely a great thing imho). I wouldn't trade my Multiline or Industry for anything though :)

I actually like clad walls, especially on gas. The whole 'angling the pan and searing curved parts of meat in the corner of the pan' works really well with it. On induction I guess it makes less of a difference, but I still prefer clad over disk models.

On sauciers (for example for sauces) or anything done on low temperature like stewing clad pans are IMO also way better than disk bottom pans.

I am not going to buy any non-clad stainless-steel pans or pots. I do have a pretty good collection of copper core All-Clad pans now. My latest is copper with lined stainless-steel pans which I like. No bottom disc for me for any kind of pan using gas.

You’re considering a skillet, right? I’d prefer the paderno slightly on electric but the demeyere vastly on gas. The thermal discontinuity at the edge is a royal pain to get clean on a gas stove.

For a sauté pan, not such a problem. I have a 36 cm GG sauté pan at my cousins house that I use on holidays. We’ll made product for sure.

https://www.centurylife.org/in-dept...s-2100-11-inch-paella-pan-skillet-frying-pan/

You’re considering a skillet, right? I’d prefer the paderno slightly on electric but the demeyere vastly on gas. The thermal discontinuity at the edge is a royal pain to get clean on a gas stove.
Yes. I'm basically a carbon pan guy that occasionally needs a stainless skillet/fry for high acid deglazing/reducing following the protein, and while some of my carbons will take that beating, it's just easier with stainless. So the criteria are:
- Stainless
- Heavy
- Cheap
Given the limited application I have for this pan, and in spite of being on gas, I actually just went ahead and got the exact pan (11" loop handles) in the review you posted....... for under 73 Euro including shipping, from Amazon Deutschland. Curious to see how it does, but at that price......

I was in that market for a while and I ended up buying an imperfect All Clad D7 skillet from their outlet. It's super thick and was designed to compete with Le Creuset/Staub. It always does the job when I need to sear something, and I don't have to worry about seasoning dissolving into the sauce if I degalze with wine or throw some tomatoes in. Sadly, they discontinued this line so it's not readily available. But if you find a cheap one, jump on it. I got mine for like $100 and it's perfect.

Yes. I'm basically a carbon pan guy that occasionally needs a stainless skillet/fry for high acid deglazing/reducing following the protein, and while some of my carbons will take that beating, it's just easier with stainless. So the criteria are:
- Stainless
- Heavy
- Cheap
Given the limited application I have for this pan, and in spite of being on gas, I actually just went ahead and got the exact pan (11" loop handles) in the review you posted....... for under 73 Euro including shipping, from Amazon Deutschland. Curious to see how it does, but at that price......
I’m in the same boat. I always use sauté pans or carbon skillets but I bought a pair of demeyeres during COVID out of boredom. They were pretty cheap when I found them. They’re nice, but they’re probably the least used pans in my kitchen.

I have a Fissler original profi 12.6 inch serving pan with the smooth cooking surface, and it's a beast when it comes to searing. At least in my experience, much more effective than cast iron. The Fissler is about 5.25 pounds, so similar to the proline I think.

I'd be curious to try a proline someday, although I think the greater thermal mass in the Fissler disc bottom is ultimately better suited for hard searing, especially since Fissler's disc bottoms extend edge-to-edge (although what @Jovidah said about searing against the sidewall makes sense also).

So I figured I'd add a few words about the sauciers that I have. I ended up with a bunch of Demeyere Atlantis sauciers, in 20 and 24 cm (I think those are referred to as 2qt and 3,5 qt in the US). Basically my requirements were:

-Clad construction - IMO disk bottom sauciers are pointless, especially since I'm still using gas.
-Induction-ready because there's a good chance I'll be using induction at some point. That takes most copper pans off the table
-Flared rim, because pouring sauce without one sucks.
-Encapsulated rim, because I want to be able to throw them in the dishwasher without getting a sharp rim from eroding aluminium. This one takes a surprising amount of options off the table - even from Demeyere!
-At least 3mm thickness, that takes a lot of the cheaper options out of consideration.
-Preferably a welded handle (no rivets on the inside is IMO preferable, especially on a saucier).

If you add that all together you almost automatically end up with Demeyere Atlantis being your only choice. Well there is the Silver series, but that one is just a glorified Atlantis. All their other lines lack either a flared rim, an encapsulated rim or both. Similar kind of story on a lot of other brands, there's always something lacking.

My pros, cons, and general considerations for prospective buyers:
-I have a bunch of them, especially the 24, because they truly are my go-to-pan for everything that doesn't go in a frying pan. Basically I use the sauciers not just to make sauce but to also replace all my small to mid sized pots, saucepans, etc. They're incredibly versatile and can be used for pretty much everything.
-Thermal performance is as you'd expect very good.
-Like the frying pans, when they say a pan is 24 cm they measure internal dimensions so compared to some other brands they run rather big.
-The handles are the same skinny cast stainless steel ones like on a lot of the frying pans... not a fan of those because they're both on the heavy side and the grip isn't ideal when pouring. It's not a dealbreaker (they're not that bad), but I'd rather have cheap hollow oval tubular handles. If Apollo series had a flared encapsulated rim I'd have bought those instead; those handles are better IMO.
-They are heavy boys... Not a problem for me but I can imagine this might be a problem for people who intend to use the 24 cm version as an 'everyday pan'; some might find it too heavy. It's one you might want to test in a store first to see if it'll work for you. If you're specifically looking for a pan just to do mantecare you might want to look for something else that's lighter instead.
-I still can't say I really notice much of a difference from that Silvinox treatment in the short term. But who knows maybe that's more of a long-term thing.

General tip, if you're willing to compromise on some of the requirements (like not having encapsulated rims, or going thinner), you can get sauciers cheaper if you're willing to look around. But if you truly care about a specific aspect, make sure you always check first... for example, a surprising amount of the more expensive sauciers have exposed aluminium on the rims.

Oh and I actually bought a 28 cm Ecoline a while ago. I couldn't resist a very good sale, and found myself wanting another lighter one alongside the multiline - although curiosity also played a role.

Performance is... quite similar to a multiline actually - at least on gas. It performs well on induction but I haven't been able to compare it side by side - there might be a small but negligible difference, but nothing major. They look like they might be a smidge thinner than the ecoline (or maybe it just looks like that because the rim is rounder), but then it's one of those minor 3 vs 3,3mm differences.

I actually prefer the handle over the ones on the multiline and proline. It's more basic, but the shape works better for me. It's also welded just like on the fancier pans. As I said before I can't say I ever noticed a major difference from having the Silvinox treatment, so I'm not really 'missing' it on the Ecoline.

It also has some of the things that are often missing from cheaper pans, it has a flared rim so it pours well, and an encapsulated rim, so it won't have the edges rotting away in a dishwasher.
Recently they have increased the warranty on the Ecoline models from 10 to 30 years somewhere in recent history.

Oh and FWIW, one difference worth mentioning is that they are not Made in Belgium; the Ecoline is made in Vietnam. But hey at least it's not China!

I JUST (like 10 minutes ago) received a 3.5qt Atlantis saucier and my impression so far is largely positive. It's well balanced empty, so it doesn't tip over toward the handle. Fit and finish is quite good. I found it to be less heavy than I had expected.

It is a big boi, though. I can easily see using this for a lot of things - it seems VERY versatile in terms of capacity, depth, and shape. I think it may well entirely replace the 4.5qt All Clad soup pot I have regularly used for many things.

My only complaint is that the lid fits weirdly. It's smaller than the flared rim of the saucier, and can sit cockeyed pretty easily.

I've been deep in the cookware rabbit hole, looking for options to replace my rotting All Clad, and I've learned that perhaps there are a couple other Demeyere lines that have fully encapsulated rims. Specifically, the Intense 5 series, and possibly also the Industry 5 series. I've sent email to Demeyere to find out for certain and will report back.

I've also been looking at the Hestan ProBond/NanoBond lines and like what I see. Fully encapsulated rims, nice F&F, and a decent array of options.

Yeah I definitly encourage people to see 'what's out there'. Formulate your requirements, and then see what's out there that matches it. Especially across the pond the market can be entirely different. Brands like All-Clad, Hestan and Heritage Steel don't even exist in Europe. Misen and Made-In are stupid expensive for European customers. Similarly; some of the Demeyere lines I'm talking about like Multiline and Ecoline don't seem to be sold in the US...which is really a shame.

Interesting tidbit about the lids. I have to admit I actually haven't gotten around to buying any lids yet. They are sold without the lids here, and so far I've just been using whatever lids I already had. Was planning to try some of their glass lids at some point.

When I checked last year they said that at the time all the 5-layer stuff had exposed rims, including Industry. I actually passed on a very nice deal on some of their Athena sauciers last year for the same reason; it had a flared rim, but exposed aluminium. But who knows, they might change it up at some point... it never hurts to ask.

I think that perhaps the Silver 7 saucier lids fit better than the Atlantis 7 saucier lids. Silver 7 is a Sur La Table exclusive variant of Atlantis, with double wall "insulated" lids.

I'm beginning to think that the rim encapsulation may vary entirely by line, not by plies, and I'm also getting a sense that it's changed over time, but I can't point to a single data point to support this, only an aggregate understanding after reading a lot of stuff.

I picked up an Atlantis saucier and I do like it although the rivetless design makes me a little nervous

A good weld should be as good as or better than a rivet. I mistrust the spot welds on Fissler handles but the Demeyere look good, not that I can actually see the weld.

I would like a helper handle on the 3.5qt Atlantis saucier, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

I did hear back from Zwilling and they indicated that only Atlantis clad and Silver 7 clad have fully encapsulated rims.

Back