ECG 2015 - May 3 in Arlington, VA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ECG Beef.jpg

Here is the prime rib eye from earlier today.

So far the following people have requested my address and I have responded: wildboar, mucho bucho, Adirondack, bob_loblaw, and nerologic. For everyone else that has shown an interest pm me - the more the merrier:doublethumbsup:

Tomorrow I plan on going thru the wine closet to pull out a good mix. I want to open a couple of Cab's from the 90's to see how they are doing, plus a vertical of a Turley vineyard for fun.

If anyone coming up has some de Buyer mineral B pans I would love to give them a try:D

If anyone in into music and has some SACD's, DVD audio discs or vinyl they would like to share that would be cool too. Although my TT is up in my office so it's a little isolated.

Think I got another DC chef on board for the ECG; she's not familiar with the forums but has some knives from Korin. She's opening her first restaurant later in May, just a block or two from Zaytinya.

Hopefully Travis can break loose for a couple hours. Kostantinos now has to work Sunday, so he's gong to try and get by early for a couple hours. Sounds like Marc is a 'go', as well as Knify.

Leah will likely come by for a bit with Luca in tow; hopefully we can keep him away from the knives, stereo equipment and wine :)

And hopefully 3-4 car club guys will be coming by to learn about knives as well. A couple of them are pretty dedicated home cooks.

And don't forget Butch Harner will be attending, hopefully with some unclaimed knives :)

It would be great if those who think they will attend could post so on this thread if you haven't already done so. I know it would help Bill greatly with the final planning this week.

The event will be spouse and kid friendly; Bill mentioned something about 15,000 legos when I spoke with him this morning :biggrin:

Any rough estimate of the number of people expected to be in attendance, so I have some idea of how many cases of canned soda to bring (assuming anyone will drink something without alcohol)? And any suggestions re soda preferences certainly welcome; otherwise maybe I'll just bring an assortment of a couple of cases of regular Coke, some diet cola, Dr. Pepper and Sprite? And of course several bags of snack foods -- chips, etc.

Looks like 2 dozen minimum, and if many bring SOs could get closer to 3 dozen.

Mari for Korin hopes to make it down, and may have 1-2 others with her. And it looks like Derek from DC Sharp is going to make it by early on, which will be great.

Looks like 2 dozen minimum, and if many bring SOs could get closer to 3 dozen.

Mari for Korin hopes to make it down, and may have 1-2 others with her. And it looks like Derek from DC Sharp is going to make it by early on, which will be great.

Thanks, that's helpful. Any kids in attendance will presumably be reaching for the soft drinks -- and, depending on age, and degree of parental supervision/preference, there might be several young ones running around in an overly caffeinated state (though I intend to bring Sprite -- but not Mountain Dew -- as an option).

I think some parents travel with the beverages they want their kid(s) to drink. For younger ones it will likely be water, I suspect.

Besides, kids + sugar + caffeine + a couple hundred sharp knives -- what could go wrong? :D

Pulling a couple area KKFers out of the woodwork for this one. It will be nice meeting some forum members for the first time and seeing some others who have been MIA for a bit.

If you are anywhere from Richmond to Baltimore attending this event is a no-brainer! So come on out from the shadows and mix it up with other knife knuts :)

Went to Costco this evening and picked up 30pds of onions, 10pds of carrots, and 5pds of tomatoes for slicing and dicing:biggrin: If you have a favorite vegetable that you like to test knives on or don't think I bought enough bring some

For eating I also got 18pds of pork shoulder and 3 racks of ribs to smoke. I will make a tomato based BBQ sauce that is on the medium side. If someone has one they like to make, or buy, it would be fun to have some selection. I think we are pretty good on the mains but if you have a side you like to make that would be great - just post it so everyone knows.

For drinking I have a wine closet with about 300 bottles so we are good there, although I NEVER turn down a good bottle of wine :D. Larry has offered to bring some sodas but if you have one you can't live without - bring it to be safe. I will run to Madd Fox brewery for a couple of growlers of beer if I have time, but it's the same as the sodas - if you have one you really like bring a 6 pack, one can never have too much beer:D. At this point they are calling for beautiful weather so I will probably get their unfiltered Kolsch and a Saison.

Looking forward to meeting everyone Sunday!

Forgot to mention that David is right, my wife would be happy to have other women to talk to, and my 13 year old daughter will be here and she does a pretty good job of watching children.

And yes, my 16 year old son really has about 20,000 Lego pieces. His obsession has begun to fade, being replaced by Dr Who and homework:)

Looks like I am in! Looking forward to this very much! Aside from my knives, please let me know if you need me to bring anything! Bill - I have the address info I need from David.

Adam

. . . .
Larry has offered to bring some sodas

Last night I went to BJ's and purchased 64 cans of Coke, 32 of diet Coke, 32 Dr. Pepper and 32 ginger ale (and a few bags of chips, etc.) --- not because I thought that was necessarily enough soda, but because the carrying capacity of my little car was at its limits. So if more is needed, I will gladly make a run locally and buy more (after soliciting and honoring any suggestions), once what I brought has been unloaded.

its been a really bad week up here in Baltimore so looking forward getting out the city for a few hours on Sunday . I never had a curfew of any sort , so it definitely is a weird feeling in many ways to me .

Sunday is shaping up to be a great day. A nice ride down to NoVa in the warm sunshine, with no one trying to set your car on fire, will do you good. :cool2:

I was thinking this morning it would be nice if anyone coming that has a BoardSMITH board should bring it. Sometime during the day we can take a group photo of the KKF members with their CB's in a group photo. Then we can enlarge it , frame it, and send it to David as a thank you - so to speak.

Good idea/ Bad idea?

What time is this kicking off tomorrow?
Also, I might have my wife and 2 year old daughter in tow as well. Any other families/kids coming?

Leah hopes to come up at some point with Luca, but now she has to go to Woodbridge in the morning so we'll see what happens with them.

Now it looks like I'm going stag, so my plan is to get White Girl Wasted, grab as many knives as I can carry and then go streaking. Might even bust out a few new dance moves as well.

Killer looking loaves. Wish I was there.

Back