ECG 2015 - May 3 in Arlington, VA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was wonderful to meet members of this great community and to see such incredible collections of badass knives. Wish I could have stayed longer.

It was wonderful to meet members of this great community and to see such incredible collections of badass knives. Wish I could have stayed longer.

I second this! I had an awesome time and even gif a chance to sharpen a couple knives! Thanks Bill for putting this together!

:needpics:

For those of us who couldn't make it...

Outstanding! Of course special thanks to our host, Bill, for providing a great setting (and weather!) and so much terrific food. (I'd try to list all of the other people who also brought great food -- such as Dennis -- but I'm afraid I'll leave someone out and offend them.)

Great to meet so many people and confirm in person that they are just as personable, helpful and friendly as they appear online (but there was also at least one rather peculiar participant -- can you believe someone who owns knives, e.g., Catcheside, Cris Anderson, Tilman Leder, Carter, Martell, etc., but has never used them, supposedly because he hasn't yet learned to sharpen?!).

So many knives to admire and try. (Too bad so many onions, potatoes, etc. were sacrificed for the cause; next time I'm going to bring a Ziploc.)

Thank you all! Already looking forward to next year!

Great event! Really cool to get my hands on a Shig kitaeji, several Devins, Carters, a Mario, a Tilman and not to mention the Scorpion forge passaround (crazy thin, could almost see through it). Definitely thanks to Bill for his generosity and hospitality. Also the awesome food from Bill and Dennis. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics.

A few pictures -- only of some of the food. (I hope the upload works.) I apologize for the quality. Taken with my iPhone. I believe other participants took several pictures, so I'm looking forward to them. Especially if they include not only knives, but people. Would be great to help match faces with names in the future (particularly for those, like me, who are somewhat challenged when attempting that from memory).
IMG_0323.jpgView attachment 27378View attachment 27379

As said above, great event! Was nice to see a mix of new and old faces. Awesome BBQ and rib eye, plus the charcutery, pickles, cold cuts, etc. Bill's family was very accomodating and gracious. And the weather was beautiful. Oh, and Dennis was kind enough to sharpen a ton of knives, including a bunch of mine last night and this morning. Hope to see some of the local guys over the next year, as there seemed to be common threads with Boundary Stone and Zaytinya.

Sorry about lack of pics, but I never bothered to bring my camera in from the car. But a few people were documenting the event, so hopefully there will be some proof that this actually happened :)

Here's a few pics for you. Some quick snap shots from today.
Thanks again to Bill for letting us play in his back yard, and feeding us as well. Mucho Bocho, also quite the gentleman, makes some amazing charcuterie. And thanks till Theory for getting this thread started.
Met some great friends on the forum in person finally, as well as other members that I'll now consider friends as well.
Cheers all!

Butch Harner was also in attendance, and he brought a few of his badass wares. The funny thing is was he really didn't need to bring much as his work was Very well represented here via many in attendance.

I finally got a chance to use a Shig kitaeji 240 gyuto. Pretty dreamy. Was able to put it up against 2 Katos, and I'll say that the comparison was very close, but in my opinion the Kato took the call. Obviously a personal preference. I also took that western handle Haburn I just got and threw in the showdown and I have to say that it held its own Very well. Great work, Ian!
Let's see, what else was there... oh yeah, that Martell gyuto with the full black buffalo horn western handle was there. It took a little skin off my knuckle while I was putting it to work. Nothing bad, just a little knick. I must be getting a little rusty...

Butch Harner was also in attendance, and he brought a few of his badass wares. The funny thing is was he really didn't need to bring much as his work was Very well represented here via many in attendance.

Sorry Butch, somehow forgot to mention all of your hard work in attendance as well. Definitely need to build on my setup with one of your knives in the near future.

It was a great meeting, wish i had a little more time.

A lot of great people , a lot of blades and a lot of fun but it was just enough to come out and say hi and then back on the road again.

Thanks Bill for hosting this event .

oh yeah, that Martell gyuto with the full black buffalo horn western handle was there. It took a little skin off my knuckle while I was putting it to work. Nothing bad, just a little knick. I must be getting a little rusty...

Sorry to hear. (You're not going to sue me, are you?) At least it wasn't the edge that was rusty.

Thanks for all the pictures. Yeah, sure were a lot of impressive knives there. And I even left with the same number that I brought (I think). (Even more grateful that I left with the same number of fingers that I came with.)

It's Dave's (Wildboar). Believe it's from Boardsmith. Obviously I like it... The pictures make it look darker than it is in person. I think I might build one...

And Larry, I think we can settle something outside of court ;)

Yeah, BoardSmith made that block a few years back. It may have been the last one he made before deciding blocks were far too much of a PITA, especially since they were fully custom. I bought that after the original customer returned it because some knives with very thick spines would not fit into the slots. It's a great block, and the only issue I have had with it is he made it far too small :D

Just got back to Raleigh, NC. Was just great meeting all of you. Special thanks goes out to Bill and his family for being such generous hosts. I'm so humbled by everyones generosity. Thanks too to Wildboar for helping with logistics and event organization. Folks started showing up around 11:00 and wound down around 8:00.

Was fun to meet Larry Bard, Butch Harner, Slick Rick Theory and Mark Dixon (other too sorry if I can't remember your names). Rick and Mark's knife skills are exceptional and we demonstrated properly. Butch was so generous with his time, explain why he does what he does. We're luck to have such a down to earth rock star knife maker in our ranks.

As for knives, there were at least 50 brands that I've never handles before. For me, standouts were: Martel Gyuto, Chris Andersons Mitzu Honyaki, Tilman gyuto, Kato guyto, Butch Harners camp knife but the standout for me was Bill's brand new Shigefusa Kitaeji 240 Gyuto.

I brought Jon's Diamond sharpening stones and they were a big hit. I think they services at least fifty knives on Sunday. Check out Rick, doing his thing. Was great to meet Rick to, very down to earth cool dude.

Bills Daugher's Artwork

Yeah, totally forgot to ask who the artist was for the logo. She did a great job.

Gotta say those steaks almost look good enough to eat :)

Back