ECG 2015 - May 3 in Arlington, VA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After consulting with my lovely wife and Wildboar we have decided on a start time of 11am with an end time of whenever... I will be smoking about 15pds of pork shoulder and 4 racks of ribs. I am also thinking of getting a whole cut of rib-eye or NY strip steak from Costco and dry aging it for a couple of weeks. Sous - vide the steaks once portioned and then grilling some, torching some, and frying some.

I have three growlers I can fill at Madd Fox Brewery too;).

Mucho Bocho I am really looking forward to trying out your charcuterie. Your past threads on this have been great reads.

Prime Rib Eye.jpgWent by Costco and picked up the beef. 18pds 2oz of prime rib eye :bliss:. I will cut off some when my brother flies in from SF later this week, but there should still be plenty for the ECG. I will be weighing it to track the moisture loss.

Wow, that is very nice of you, Bill!

The last few days have been a great build-up to the ECG. Got to see Travis and have lunch at Boundary Stone last Friday, and today I was in Baltimore and had lunch at Barcocina (Marc) and then visited with Kostantinos at Azumi. Everyone is looking forward to the ECG. It will be nice for some of the guys who could never make one of the PA events to finally meet up. I hope we don't lose too many of the NY/ NJ/ PA people, though. FWIW, it's not too bad to make the drive back and forth between DC and the Philadelphia area as part of one long ECG day. Train may be an option for some as well, especially those in NY, and even the $25 Chinatown bus works pretty well :) I'm happy to pick up a couple people from downtown if they take bus/ train to the area.

I'm still not clear on what date it is.

Wow, this sounds, and looks awesome. My life is pretty crazy right now, and, as much as I would love to be there, chances are not great. I won't rule it out until that weekend (sorry, not that helpful for planning). I've got a house going on the market in May, baby coming in June, and overseas move in August. So, LOTS to do! Hope I can find some way to make it, as I'm sure everyone attending is going to have a great time.

I hate those days. The hours I don't mind, just the reason behind them. Hopefully you can dig out of that one soon!

Dave, sorry I missed you guys yesterday. A little crazy over here as well. From the looks of it, we'll be opening the new place the following week, so this Sunday will be quite fun for me.

It's that crazy April weather I always loose a bunch of people I just carried through the winter. I too will be working 7/15. I'm out. Someday I'll make one of these

Chefs job gets complicated quickly. Even after being the top dog you still got to start early and work really late most times, help everyone setup stations and help out and figure out problems all while working a station yourself even sometimes. It makes me wonder what normal people do in their regular "9 to 5 jobs".

This whole thing made me realize that i never ever worked a "normal" job.

I also hope s*** gonna be ok just for one day without my presence. I am looking forward to this.

It makes me wonder what normal people do in their regular "9 to 5 jobs".
I can help you out here:

9:00 - 11:00 am: Starbucks!!!!
11:00 am - noon: Catch up on KKF
noon-2:00 pm: 2 martini lunch at nudie bar :hungry:
2:00 - 4:00 pm: Nap at desk
4:00 - 5:00 pm: Catch up on KKF
5:00 pm: Head home to unwind after another grueling day at the office! :bliss:

I can help you out here:

9:00 - 11:00 am: Starbucks!!!!
11:00 am - noon: Catch up on KKF
noon-2:00 pm: 2 martini lunch at nudie bar :hungry:
2:00 - 4:00 pm: Nap at desk
4:00 - 5:00 pm: Catch up on KKF
5:00 pm: Head home to unwind after another grueling day at the office! :bliss:

My day is pretty much the same but replace the AMs w/ PMs and vice versa... and replace starbucks with espolon

OK. I'm definitely coming. See you all there!!!

I am going to try and attend. I'll be driving from Philly. If anyone wants a lift and doesn't mind a somewhat uncomfortable ride (it's a small two seater that also doubles as my track car, so the suspension is quite stiff, etc.), let me know. I can pick up someone along the way, or if they would like me to pick them up at 30th Street Station . . . or whatever.

I am going to try and attend. I'll be driving from Philly. If anyone wants a lift and doesn't mind a somewhat uncomfortable ride (it's a small two seater that also doubles as my track car, so the suspension is quite stiff, etc.), let me know. I can pick up someone along the way, or if they would like me to pick them up at 30th Street Station . . . or whatever.
Okay, if you are in the Philadelphia area and don't take him up on this offer to drive down in his track car u r nutz! There will be a few local Porsche Club track drivers and club racers stopping by the ECG to learn about knives, so maybe a track event can break out :)

Okay, if you are in the Philadelphia area and don't take him up on this offer to drive down in his track car u r nutz! There will be a few local Porsche Club track drivers and club racers stopping by the ECG to learn about knives, so maybe a track event can break out :)

Most people are so accustomed to comfortable suspensions that they would regard a non-track journey in my car as somewhat "nutz" -- or at least slightly masochistic. One really feels every seam in the road. And don't even ask about potholes. The cushionless track seats don't help. And being strapped in by six point racing harnesses may take some getting used to. All that being said, would have to have company for the trip, and a distraction other than signals from a ValentineOne.

Am just about as eager to meet any local track drivers/racers as I am to meet the knife nutz in attendance and see their cherished possessions.

pffft -- the kitchen pros on this forum don't tool around on 'comfortable suspensions' -- they are hearty, stout men and women who don't pamper themselves with cushy rides. Heck, just about every one of them would probably pull all of the foam out of a car seat before a road trip just to make the ride more like being at work. :D

I'll be passing by the Inn at Little Washington on the way back from fishing. Do they do takeout?

Latest posts

Back