Eddworks Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddworks

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new-ish maker from Michigan with a knife I made that I'd love to get some hands on and would appreciate constructive criticism on my work. Thanks a ton in advance!

260x61mm 218g forged chef in 52100 with walnut/blackwood wa handle, convex grind and brushed etch finish (see picture, far right knife).

I'll limit the group size to the first dozen or so participants, and only in the USA at this point to help with shipping.

Terms etc:

Pass around is intended for established members within this community with at least 6 months and 50+ posts. Anyone with questionable track records or who don't meet these thresholds may be excluded.

Value is $250, so if you break it please be prepared and able to buy it or have it fixed

Each user is responsible for the packing and insured shipping to the next pass around participant.

Please knife check knife for chips, damage, etc. and communicate them should they occur.

Try and keep the knife for no more than a week before passing it on and communicate if there are any anticipated delays.

Sharpen if needed, but preferably not at the outset of your test and only if you are confident in your ability to do so without damaging the knife.

Attachments

• PXL_20230530_200553127.jpg
    PXL_20230530_200553127.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230530_200538128.jpg
    PXL_20230530_200538128.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230530_173651661.jpg
    PXL_20230530_173651661.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Happy Friday Everyone,

I was lucky enough to stumble across @eddworks knives not too long ago and decided to take an 8.75" gyuto in 52100 he had for sale for a spin. While it was smaller than my usual preference, it was a really nice, nimble piece with a pronounced distal taper, consistent grinds and a nail flexing edge. To say the least, I was impressed by the work of this maker I had never seen before.

Given this experience, I decided to tell no one about it and immediately ask about custom orders. The response was fast and communication was awesome. Now that I have more 52100 gyuto and a Serbian chef bunkleaveryuto in s35vn, I continue to be impressed by his work.

Here are the bigger knives:

PXL_20230610_004634993.jpg
PXL_20230610_004725905.jpg
PXL_20230610_004750881.jpg
PXL_20230610_004713638.jpg
PXL_20230610_010805653.jpg

Cheers!

All right, we have 12 so let's call it closed! Thanks a ton everyone.

Here's the updated list, and I am taking @timebard's suggestion to geographically organize a bit. Sorry @mockit for making you last :(

@xsmx13 (currently in possession) (CA)
@tostadas (CA)
@Gshep91 (CA)
@timebard (UT)
@Malcolm Johnson (UT)
@cwk.v (TX)
@tylerleach (TN)
@rgar4012 (NC)
@kpham12 (MD)
@Chang (PA)
@JuniperGhosts (PA)
@mockit (NE)

Good Afternoon All,

Apologies for the lack of an update, it's been a hectic week with work, an extra fun trip to the dentist and getting ready for my daughters 4th birthday.

The knife is on the way to @tostadas now. I'll have to get to a fuller write up later. In the meantime, I'll note that I'm a bit biased in that the knife was made in my requested size range with the pair of the 260 x 61mm gyuto coming my way which included one for my order and one for the pass around. That said, aside from the general size specs and choosing a non-s-grind, the rest was up to @eddworks. It came in a bit more lightweight than a couple of my other knives from him, but I really enjoyed using this side by side with my own (only real difference was a slightly flatter profile vs. the pass around knife). I hope you all enjoy using this as much as I did.

Cheers!

PXL_20230616_160447291.jpg

P.S. I did nothing to touch up the edge. Just some flitz before the last use of it before shipping off this morning. I figured Tostadas should get to paint his own patina picture.

Last edited:
Apologies, I'm long overdue on this one. For full disclosure, I did a couple meals with both knives to get a feel for the difference (using the pass around mainly for these initial preps), then sent the knife on to Tostadas so as to not slow things down. As such a little more of my use is based on my own knife made to largely the same spec as the pass around. Overall they performed very similarly in that limited experience with the biggest difference being I the flatter profile on my custom vs. a bit more curve to the profile on the pass around.

General Observations/initial impressions:

The knife comes nicely packaged with a custom fit leather sheath and chapstick style wax applicator. Overall fit and finish is very nice with well rounded/comfortable spine and choil that to me is unheard of st this price point. The handles have nice crisp and consistent lines/ chamfering, the fit up is very clean and the walnut burl is a nice touch. The forced patina and scotch brite finish with a diagonal brushed effect is a small but nice contrast from the vertical pattern you usually see on a belt finished knife and from my view went nicely to complement the forged finish towards the spine.

The length, height and flatter profile were right on target of what I was looking for on my custom. The handle is shorter than my usual preference and the weight is lighter than I'm accustomed to for a knife of this size, but it feels great in hand with a balance right at the markers mark (the first 222mm Gyuto from @eddworks gave the initial visual impression that the handle was to short lengthwise, but I was instantly proven wrong once I picked it up and used it). From a purely size-to-weight-to-balance perspective it feels a lot like a Kamon production knife in hand with the shorter but very comfortable handle.

Specs:
261mm x 61mm
221g
Spine: 5.92mm above heel, 2.25mm mid, 1.01mm ~1" from tip
Handle length: 121.41mm

For full disclosure, I'm just a home cook, so you pros out there are infinitely more qualified than I to review a knife like this.

Blade:

The overall profile has a flat that extends about the last 40% of the edge. With the heel height to accompany the flatness, it can have a little bit of the abruptness at the heel reminiscent of a Yoshikane (though I asked for this), but a slow steady curve up the forward half with more of a forward lean to the profile than a Yoshi. The significant taper down from the thickness above the heel and the nail flexing edge are the next things that standout. The overall thinness is more than I'm accustomed to with a knife of this size where I generally will lean towards something with more heft at the feel. I worried how this would hold up for a pass around, because it is really thin, but more on that later*.

Time for testing:

The thinness on a knife of this blade left me eager to compare it to some of my more comparable blades as well as a couple other favorites, plus my new hammered finish Wakui. That said, I stopped short of pulling out some of the highest price tag knives as I was already comparing to knives costing 2-3.5 times as much outside of the Wakui, so I kept the comparisons to those priced under $1k.

For the last week prep has leaned heavily on veggies and a 4 year old on a kick focused almost entirely on her primary food groups of noodles and berries. As such my use is not as diverse as I'd like so I bought some extra random root veggies/tubers to mutilate. Slicing proteins was limited to some partitioned legs, boneless chicken breasts, raw salmon and yellow fin tuna. Performance was as expected from these rather simple tests, so onto the veggies. Starting with celery, carrots and onions and the knife performed really nicely to dice these up and the thin tip was especially nice and smooth going through the onions. Next meal was highlighted by cutting some peppers, limes, radishes, garlic, cilantro, green and white onions. I was rushed, so I wasn't as attentive to the knife, but at the end I stopped and reflected that no piece of the prep was anything but a pleasure. Last the general veggie mutilation... this is where it shocked me and Eddworks had already won me over before this knife. I started on the bunny slopes with hothouse cucumbers because well, I wanted some, then moved to the making the biggest carrots I could find into match sticks and then sweet potatoes. It performed slightly better than the others on the carrots but the only knife it really left massively behind was the beefier Wakui that did some brrapping, but again it was being compared to some well respected western makers at 2-3x the price. Moving onto the sweet potatoes I was distracted in discussion and stopped dead in my tracks when I realized it felt as effortless as the cucumber. I stopped and compared one knife after another and nothing felt as effortless going through them. I was surprised that one of my absolute favorite knives (though finish probably played a role here) really needed some force to go through the same thing this knife just made feel as easy to cut as cucumbers or some small radishes.

Cons:
1. There was some minor sticking on a couple items, but nothing I'd notice if I wasn't doing a review
2. Very minor, but the abrupt flat of the heel is noticable at times, but as noted before, this design is something I requested
3. *The thin blade on the pass around knife hit something hard when I was cutting some chicken. It turns out a piece of dried rice from something I had done earlier had stuck to the back of the chicken and I hit this while using the blade. For a second I thought I had done more damage to the edge, but it really just left a small glint on the blade edge. I decided not to do anything to remove this after further use and it appeared small enough that it would sharpen out on the next touch up, but I did want to call this out.

Pros:
1. The knife is very nimble for a 261mm knife with a nice continuous distal taper
2. Consistent and aggressive grinds with a nail flexing edge
3. This is personal preference, but I really enjoyed both profiles
4. Very comfortable spine/choil and overall well executed fit and finish
5. Quality materials and finish make this feel like something from a higher price point
6. Very nicely balanced blade right at the pinch
7. Amazing value is made moreso with the nice leather sheath addition

In closing (yes, I kinda feel like I'm fan-girling here) there's nothing about this knife that I don't like. I understand that this thin of an edge or the flatter profile on my version might not be everyone's cup of tea. It was just very fun to use time and again. This lighter profile is an interesting contrast to the s35vn tall bunka I have that uses that heft and nice tapering grinds to just fall through food vs. the way this knife just glides through things. I will safely say this in my top 5-6 favorite knives in my collection at this point and nailed what I asked for in a taking the initial 222mm/8.75" Gyuto to this scale. What really makes this stand out even more is the fact that this and the tall bunka set me back $250.00 and $325.00 respectively versus those other favorite blades which outside of a Markin Gyuto, cost me between $900.00-$1900.00 each. I hope you all enjoy the pass around knife as much as I have and if you have questions or want to see pictures of any of the work from Eddworks shown further up this thread, please let me know. I've moved forward from the pass around to add two more customs to the queue and I look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts.

@eddworks Thanks for your willingness to jump into the forum for a pass around from the request of a random customer that won't stop pestering you on Etsy.

Cheers!

IMG20230625213805.jpg
IMG20230625213920.jpg
IMG20230625213932.jpg
IMG20230625213935.jpg
IMG20230625213850.jpg
IMG20230625213831.jpg
IMG20230626192316.jpg
IMG20230626203843.jpg

It’s 9:45pm, wife & baby are asleep so I decided to cut an onion. It felt great, I’m going to bed happy.
This cracks me up. I'm sure that like many here, I've been in this boat...

Waking up the next day the first thing I hear:

Her: "What the are you doing will all these vegetables on the cutting board?"
Me: "Making us omelette's"
Her: "With carrots?!"
Me: "Feck, I forgot about those."
Her: "Did you get up last night just to cut things?!"
Me: "Yeah, it was glorious."

First day really using the knife and I absolutely love it and cannot wait to get both knives I ordered from him in the mail (fingers crossed they should be here tomorrow).
The only knife I have that I could compare it to was my Birch and bevel 230mm by Spare.
1DEFE998-DF85-4CEB-BCAA-B64ABB9C007C.jpeg
50BFC2E9-7D98-4706-A851-82D79831FFFC.jpeg

First meal of the day was a little breakfast with diced potatoes onion, tomato and egg and my god - this thing cuts better than anything else I’ve ever used. It is completely effortless cutting through onions and potato and the food release is better than I expected. I do not know if this was sharpened by anyone other than @eddworks but it’s sharp. Like very sharp. And extremely thin.
57140B28-EAD0-42E6-81C5-8122B1515339.jpeg
D0E83DAF-D459-4503-90F8-5D0452C99107.jpeg

After breakfast I decided to cut a carrot because, why not? I found the thickest one I could and went to town. There was absolutely no wedging, and it took nearly no effort or force to cut through.
95898C85-F465-4C72-83D8-8300332D1DB9.jpeg

Made a Cobb salad for lunch with almost identical ingredients and another great experience.
A483C32A-B5A7-48E5-A6FE-48A14B8221B2.jpeg

Also the nearly instant patina after cutting the hot chicken was neat to see / I’ll have to take a pic later.

Also - don’t worry. This knife needed a sacrifice so I took one for the team
EF14B0B9-955C-4052-9AE6-A29A088ADDE4.jpeg

Yes that’s 2 cuts in about 5 minutes. I really am not used to this knife size and while it feels nimble & easy to use - I’m a clutz.

I’m going to keep this for about a week to test against the other 2 knives I have coming in and then will pass it along.

Edit - don’t judge my cooking skills. I’m an armature lol

First day really using the knife and I absolutely love it and cannot wait to get both knives I ordered from him in the mail (fingers crossed they should be here tomorrow).
The only knife I have that I could compare it to was my Birch and bevel 230mm by Spare.
View attachment 251124
View attachment 251125

First meal of the day was a little breakfast with diced potatoes onion, tomato and egg and my god - this thing cuts better than anything else I’ve ever used. It is completely effortless cutting through onions and potato and the food release is better than I expected. I do not know if this was sharpened by anyone other than @eddworks but it’s sharp. Like very sharp. And extremely thin. View attachment 251126View attachment 251127
After breakfast I decided to cut a carrot because, why not? I found the thickest one I could and went to town. There was absolutely no wedging, and it took nearly no effort or force to cut through. View attachment 251129
Made a Cobb salad for lunch with almost identical ingredients and another great experience.
View attachment 251128
Also the nearly instant patina after cutting the hot chicken was neat to see / I’ll have to take a pic later.

Also - don’t worry. This knife needed a sacrifice so I took one for the team View attachment 251130
Yes that’s 2 cuts in about 5 minutes. I really am not used to this knife size and while it feels nimble & easy to use - I’m a clutz.

I’m going to keep this for about a week to test against the other 2 knives I have coming in and then will pass it along.

Edit - don’t judge my cooking skills. I’m an armature lol
Damn, you lost 3 fingers?

@Gshep91 I hope they measure up! They're both a bit thicker grinds than the 260 and I'm curious what you think of the slightly different handle shapes.

Back