Eddworks Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bico Doce I just wanted to share this wonderful little 313 number with you. I'm currently looking forward to getting my 52100 version.

PXL_20230709_011226398.jpg

Some thoughts:

- The grind on this thing gets real thin and is a serious performer. Can definitely hang with top notch light midweights like the Takada x Kyuzo and Dalman x BB I've been using a bunch lately. The convexity is very subtle and it's a bit sticky but not beyond what's expected for a high thin grind. Overall I'm pretty impressed.
- Nice distal taper from 6mm+ out of handle to 4.5 over heel, 4 at pinch, and thins to 2 and a bit midway and real thin at 1cm out. While I like holding knives that hold some thickness further out, the taper here isn't too drastic and feels well executed. Neutral balance right at/slightly in front of the pinch works well.
- Edge in the front half is showing some wear. I am wondering if the grind is a bit unsustainably thin at the edge and would need to be little more conservative for day to day use, but I know PA knives see plenty of wear so maybe par for the course.
- Craftsmanship is quite nice all around and very good for the price point. Nice spine and choil rounding, except for the 45 degree angles right at the heel/edge transition--it feels like an oversight for this not to have been smoothed out on an otherwise really well-finished blade. Handle is well finished and the pin is pretty darn flush, I'd prefer it just a touch narrower but we're splitting hairs here.
- Profiles are obviously a matter of preference but this one doesn't make much sense for me. The edge is angled towards the spine too sharply and makes using the back half of the edge awkward given the tall heel. The actual curvature of the edge is just fine though.

Just got it! I really, REALLY think I’m gonna like this one. Just holding it has a certain “yes” feeling to it. Might need to hit him up about a custom idea I have…. But yeah, F&F are really nice and the edge came to me in great shape. Can’t wait to take her for a test drive later tonight
IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_2055.jpeg

Finished up my turn and passed the knife off to @Malcolm Johnson today. Overall, this is a great performer and a nicely made knife by any standard, and even moreso for the price point. I didn't emphasize the tip performance above but: wow, it's really good. The overall shape and profile are different from what I typically go for but as I used it more I could see how it helps make a big knife feel smaller while still giving you the full length when you need it. Edge wouldn't mind a refresh by now but the geometry is thin enough you hardly notice.

Like everyone else in this PA so far (!) I've reached out to Eddie about a custom and so far he's been great to work with. Definitely excited to see what projects people throw at him and how his work develops!

The pass around looks interesting, sadly I’m not in the States right now, wish I can get my hand on one day.

BTW just a stupid little question for Edd, do you use power hammer? I saw your instagram and mostly are hand forging, which is awesome, tho it does look like super hard work

The pass around looks interesting, sadly I’m not in the States right now, wish I can get my hand on one day.

BTW just a stupid little question for Edd, do you use power hammer? I saw your instagram and mostly are hand forging, which is awesome, tho it does look like super hard work

Everything is hand forged as of now, I'd love a power hammer but it isn't in the tool budget yet and I think doing it all by hand is good practice for the time being.

She is currently in my possession…
I have only had the chance to play with it for 10 or so mins but I have to say I am thoroughly impressed thus far! Cutting performance is farrrr beyond my expectation. General balance and hand feel are top flight as well… the ratio of handle to blade is absolutely perfect in my eyes.

I’m going to keep playing but I am extremely impressed so far!

In an intentional effort to procrastinate doing chart review.... time for my intial thoughts on the Eddworks!

I'm fortunate enough to have my own, which is VERY similar to the pass-around knife, so my comments are a combo of the two.

First thought, the condition of the pass-around was excellent and was still very sharp. I'm not sure if it had been sharpened before it made it's way to me (it didn't look like it was at a glance), but if it hasn't, I'm particularly impressed with the heat treat and edge retention on the 52100 steel.

As for the main thoughts, I would very likely describe the knife as a "Kamon-lite," in the sense that it reminds me of a Kamon in shape and it feels similar to a Kamon in hand, minus the well-known mullet grind. So in my mind, the Eddworks essentially a Kamon laser. This is very high praise as 1) Kamon is one of my favorite makers and 2) this means I'm comparing the Eddworks to a knife that cost 5x+ the price and it stands up. I also compared the Eddworks gyuto directly with a custom Hyde 260mm gyuto with Henry's usual grind (ie. also very thin BTE). Once again, the Eddworks performed exceptionally well compared to the Hyde.

The Eddworks has a phenomenally thin and precise tip, with a thinness that carries through the rest of the blade without feeling overly fragile. As I was discussing with Tyler (and he also posted about), the F&F of the handle is spot on. The short handle balances the knife out perfectly.
Both knives I've tried made very easy work of slicing strips from whole chicken breast and thighs, had phenomenal performance with produce like zucchini and cucumbers, and then made matchsticks from carrots without any wedging or notable cracking noises when doing through harder produce. I've yet to take this knife through something like red cabbage, for a lack of having any, but I think it would also handle that well.

Oh, I'd also wager that it performs as well as my Nine Honyaki though I've not used the knives back to back.

I'd say that this pass-around knife is THE best performance to price knife I've used (same goes for my personal one). Very high praise!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the reviews and input so far from everyone! It's been helpful and I've been using said input to make incremental changes.

After @cwk.v's nice write up there, it's perhaps time to put it on the public record (since it's probably obvious anyway) that Kamon's work heavily influences my knives. I'm trying to keep my work different enough, but credit where it's due - he makes fantastic stuff in all respects and I borderline steal ideas from him all the time.

Alright so I feel it’s only right to give a bit of feedback about my experience with this knife…

I truly had no idea what to expect when I signed up for this pass around, but Edward lives in my hometown(which is wild to me!?) and the knife looked great in the photos, so I wanted to give it a go!

Upon arrival I was VERY pleasantly surprised by its quality. The fit and finish on the handle alone had me like “whooooa ok…” before I had even tried it out. The hand feel, taper, the blue backing on the spine/tang, the ratio of blade to handle is especially *chefs kiss*… I loved it right off the bat. Honestly, even more than I thought I would.

Performance was the most pleasant surprise. The taper on this knife is absolutely top flight, and the grind starts low and then gets quite tall… this gives you a nice confidence at the heel and a deadly thin upper third of the knife. I have seen and heard plenty of you say this before, but the shape of the grind seems very reminiscent of a much thinner Kamon. (And that’s a massive compliment as Ben is a TOP tier maker.

With all of that, comes an incredibly smooth cutting performance that moves through any ingredient with ease. I was blown away by its ability to cut carrots…. Silent and stupid crazy smooth on even the freshest and largest of carrots.

As I mentioned before one of my personal favorite things about the knife is the ratio of handle to blade (and the finish on the handle itself). This gives the knife a perfect balance and feels significant in hand even though the knife isn’t very heavy. The facets of the handle, the spine, the choil… everything is polished smooth and clearly was thought of and cared for… making it not only extremely comfortable to use but also feeling high end.

The steel feels crisp and though I only barely touched it up on an Aizu, it feels snappy and could get stupid sharp very easily.

This particular knife has a straighter spine and the cutting edge is relatively flat, with a very generous heel with the cutting edge tapering up at a slight angle to meet the “k-tip”. This shape is normally not my first choice (as I tend to prefer sort of the opposite, a flat cutting edge where the spine curves down to meet it) but I actually didn’t find myself tripping up on it at all… the profile felt comfortable over all and honestly did very well with my cutting style.

I loved this knife so much I actually signed up for a custom with him and I can’t wait to check out some of his other profiles and handles!

Overall… I am THOROUGHLY impressed. For a newer maker to be putting out something of this caliber is absolutely insane and I cannot wait to see how his work progresses! (Also my future custom with him 😉)

Cheers, and thank you for allowing me to participate ❤️
-Tyler
IMG_0859.jpeg

Back