Everything Isamitsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I got it in the Hakyuto yesterday. I got it from Tetogi and it looks like they sent one with a Zebrawood handle vs the cedar handle they advertised. I'll take it. They were prompt and int'l shipping was quick. From the Netherlands to TN was 4ish days. This knife was a total impulse buy and fills no space in my rotation or gaps in my collection, I just wanted it because of the funky and fun profile I had been looking for. It really feels like a large hakata. It came pretty sharp and no comments on F&F, all is in order and unremarkable. The grind is interesting. It is convex and thicker BTE at the tip and thinner BTE on the main body of the blade. It might be the most blade forward of my knives as well with the balance point being near the center of the blade. It didn't have the Fine Finish, so no Kasumi. I only did some test cuts. The tip was wedge-y when cutting big sweet potatoes but the main body of the blade competently and smoothly cut right through. Food release is better with the tip with carrots and such. This was a fun lark and I have zero regrets. The missus gave me a major eye roll with two boxes waiting on me when we got home.

Anybody have iron clad AS orders pending? I’ve been waiting for my yo gyuto for like 10 months…
Been following up with them every couple months being told it’s not ready every time lol.

Shipped a week after prev post…210 gyuto came out to be 220x54 at 250g.
I didn’t specify the finish but came out to be hammered which I personally like. I did sand the handle a bit as it was quite rough (which is why the wood handle looks so dry). Very rustic, spine was rough so I did sand it, although in hindsight I wonder if I should have left it untouched as it wasn’t particularly sharp or anything to maintain the wabisabi. I’m really digging it. After a run of purchasing knives with perfect F&F, the wabisabi is really charming lol.
IMG_2274.jpeg

Read through the whole thread and didn’t see many opinions/reviews on the new funky profile k tip gyuto that’s currently heavily on sale at Protooling.

For anyone who has purchased said knife, what are your thoughts on it? Would you say it’s fun enough to warrant another unnecessary purchase?

Shipped a week after prev post…210 gyuto came out to be 220x54 at 250g.
I didn’t specify the finish but came out to be hammered which I personally like. I did sand the handle a bit as it was quite rough (which is why the wood handle looks so dry). Very rustic, spine was rough so I did sand it, although in hindsight I wonder if I should have left it untouched as it wasn’t particularly sharp or anything to maintain the wabisabi. I’m really digging it. After a run of purchasing knives with perfect F&F, the wabisabi is really charming lol.View attachment 302624
Do you know what wood was used for the scales? The Mulberry ones I’ve seen are nice but considering this one too

Do you know what wood was used for the scales? The Mulberry ones I’ve seen are nice but considering this one too
No clue, just asked for dark red handle. It didn't seem like they have a specific selection of wood available to use, just what's lying around.

No clue, just asked for dark red handle. It didn't seem like they have a specific selection of wood available to use, just what's lying around.
Cool. I asked Gaku and he responded. “As for the handle,
we upcycle various type of wood - they are from of old buildings, furniture, and local pruned trees.
Currently for Aogami Super knife, if you don't have specific request, we make it using Murasaki-tagayasan (Millettia).
If you have a favorite color, feel free to let me know.”

Cool. I asked Gaku and he responded. “As for the handle,
we upcycle various type of wood - they are from of old buildings, furniture, and local pruned trees.
Currently for Aogami Super knife, if you don't have specific request, we make it using Murasaki-tagayasan (Millettia).
If you have a favorite color, feel free to let me know.”
Nice! I likely have some upcycled wood then. I do know they have a third party make the handles though.

Back