Favorite comfort foods

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soup noodles.......I must have at least one bowl a week

udon
soba
ramen
wonton mein
lai mein
taiwanese beef noodle soup
pho
bun bo hue
bo kho
bun rieu
khao soi
laksa
prawn mee
kalguksu

and on and on and on.......

Mix of hot and sweet Italian sausage browned, then finished/ roasted in a pyrex baking 'pan' with wedges of white potato, some onion, garlic, olive oil, S&P and some hot pepper flakes.

Bacon.

BBQ ribs.

Rib roast (meat at the bone).

Homemade tomato sauce flavored with meatballs and sausages.

This is one probably only DC folk will know about but a half smoke with chili and cheese is great comfort food.
:thumbsup:

About 10 years ago if you found a good intersection where there were competing vendors, you could get 2 halfsmokes w/ chili and cheese, a bag of chips and a can of soda for $2.75.

Grilled cheese (old cheddard and emmenthal) with a coffee. Or a poutine...à la québécoise.

Fried chicken, biscuts, mashed potatoes, chiken soup, mac and cheese, pie

Careful Stephan, that's a lot of potatoes for comfort. After reading your recent thread , I think maybe we should all think about conditioning ourselves the to take comfort in some gorgeous ripe fresh fruit or something. Perfect ripe mangos, pinapple and papaya, some fine vanilla yogurt and some toasted coconut perhaps ? I could use all the help I could get

Thanks Mom.

I think melbourne's equivalent to golden century is Supper Inn - open til very late, frequented by chefs after service - their broccoli and oyster sauce with suckling pig is definitely comfort food after a brutal service.

Pho is good but it takes second place to a good bowl of real Ramen. Though I think the most comforting to me is Ikura with Quail Egg Nigiri...... It takes me to a whole other place.

I've never heard of quail egg nigiri, that sounds awesome. :hungry3:

Strawberries with sweetened condensed milk
Korean BBQ (GALBI)
Ribs
My family's chicken apple curry
Stuffed cabbage
Grilled salmon collar
Kettle chips
Pepperidge farm cookies
Scones
... and pho. I eat it too often to not call it comfort food.

Well by definition I don't know what to call it. It is a cross between Nigiri and Maki I guess. Usually served round or oval on rice like Nigiri, but with a small amount of Nori surrounding it. Anyone know the proper term?

Grilled cheese and any good (homemade) soup. Washed down with a hoppy ipa!

Battleship sushi, Gunkan maki
I love it stuffed full of uni

Wow my memory is failing me. I actually knew that once upon a time. If you have not tried the uni with quail egg it is fantastic as well.

Ribeye, roasted sweet potato. I can eat that for every meal.

I think melbourne's equivalent to golden century is Supper Inn - open til very late, frequented by chefs after service - their broccoli and oyster sauce with suckling pig is definitely comfort food after a brutal service.

For late hours yes, Supper Inn, but for consistent everyday fare my go to place in Melbourne is Pacific Seafood on Victoria St, Richmond. Cantonese place in the midst of Vietnamese area. Pippis, steamed "live" fish, snow pea shoots, some of my favourites. Mud crab noodles are also fantastic. And I'd say best roast duck and siew yok in town. They sell prodigious amounts of these. During rush hours you'd see every 20 or 30 minutes a kitchen help rushing a bunch of roast ducks on hooks from the roasters at the back to the big chop in front. More so when for ten bucks you get a quarter of the duck with rice, bak choy and a bowl of the traditional Cantonese 'hospitality' soup. They also have a branch in Toorak but that's too shi-shi for me.

Back