First Pass-around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent it off to pitonboy a week ago...wonder if holidays screwed up the post..its insured and tracked so i ca check my ticket if he still doesnt hav e it.

Not sweating it, just remembered it was floating around out there somewhere.

the knife arrived yesterday, but i was out of town so i laid eyes on it and used it for the first time tonight. grabbed it out of my neighbors hand, let me tell you. :) anyway, i knew i was going to like it as soon as i laid eyes on. the knife is mighty, sure, but it just feels... reassuring to use. the only thing i did to it was fix the slightly chipped tip and freshen the edge (freshening the edge pretty much fixed the tip). i'd love to have seen this new, as i bet it's a bit thicker than it was (and it could use a bit of thinning, especially at the tip), but it's beautifully ground, and cuts very well. i felt right at home with it. i was afraid that it would be too short, as my other knives (mostly Sanjo blades) are longer, but that wasn't the case. i'm really looking forward to using it more (i made lasagna, tonight, so there was a decent amount of cutting). the edge seems as sharp after use as it did after touching it up, so the edge retention seems great.

i love this knife. if it were mine, i would thin it out, especially towards the tip, but it just feels good and right, as is. it feels very precise, just like a Heiji, and the edge retention is great, even better than my Singatirin honyaki. the Singatirin is a considerably more effortless cutter, as it's a thinner knife (imagine a Shigefusa, but thinnish) but the Mizuno sticks less, and does feel more precise. the general grind on the Mizuno really is great. i gotta get one, at some point. hopefully sooner rather than later, now that my wife has gotten a better job. i don't want to send it on, and am glad i have a few more days.

thanks! it's a knife that really screams "professional" in the hand.

I don't know if this makes sense to people who've worked a lot of different kitchens but here we go ...

In my small sushi place I'm bouncing back and forth working line, restocking, prepping while i have time, cooking rice cleaning one more fish... basically stop and go traffic. At the hotel/convention center it was very different -- Do 8 pans of veg prep, cut 16 cases of fruit for buffet, clean chicken for 4 hours. When I'm at sushi and need to chop some scallions between orders, I'd keep my Carter. Its better burst damage. If I'm breaking down 3 pallets of product, I'd love to have the Mizuno. You don't move quite as fast with it, but its designed to keep you going steady all day without fatigue.

Maybe just person preference. Thanks again for the opportunity to test drive!

i love this knife. if it were mine, i would thin it out, especially towards the tip, but it just feels good and right, as is. it feels very precise, just like a Heiji, and the edge retention is great, even better than my Singatirin honyaki. the Singatirin is a considerably more effortless cutter, as it's a thinner knife (imagine a Shigefusa, but thinnish) but the Mizuno sticks less, and does feel more precise. the general grind on the Mizuno really is great. i gotta get one, at some point. hopefully sooner rather than later, now that my wife has gotten a better job. i don't want to send it on, and am glad i have a few more days.

Nice review, thanks! I think I read in another thread that a Mizuno honyaki is on your shopping list now...says a lot about a knife you only used for a week or so especially considering your current lineup.

I suppose I should know who gets it next....................?

Status?

This is taking a bit longer than expected. But I'm the last guy that should complain. I just hate shipping stuff.

got the knife in my hands.
Right TOB the knife is solid and feels nice in hand, compared to 240mm Kato, the Mizuno is a skinnier knife:

2vx3qsl.jpg

The knife has been sharpened a lot it looks but still looks pretty thin behind the edge, I'll see how it cuts later tonight

2h81h84.jpg

got the knife in my hands.
Right TOB the knife is solid and feels nice in hand, compared to 240mm Kato, the Mizuno is a skinnier knife:

2vx3qsl.jpg

The knife has been sharpened a lot it looks but still looks pretty thin behind the edge, I'll see how it cuts later tonight

2h81h84.jpg

If you get a chance, can you do a side by side choil, and tip thinness comparison pic?

the tip on the Mizuno is pretty thick (no idea how thin it was, new), but it cuts pretty nicely despite that.

The knife is with good weight, it is somewhere between laser and a heavy gyuto (such as Kato). Spine measured ~ 3.5 mm compared to 4mm for Kato.
I used the knife on a lot of veggies, and I can say it definitely needs some thinning.
The grind is flat from spine to ~1/2 down then it convexes, I did not have a lot of issues with sticktion.
The steel was easy to sharpen and takes very nice edge, I can't comment on edge retention as I am not a pro so the knife did not go trough a lot of use.

PS : Salty your Inbox is full. PM me who gets the knife next.

Thanks for the opportunity to try the Mizuno.

I had to stretch the list a bit. If you want to send it along sooner than a week, be my guest. No worries either way.

Because I have this weird thing about shipping I'm going to start it off with Danielsan because I'll drop it off when I see him on Sunday or Monday. And of course DeepCSweede will have to be last so he can drop it off at my place.

In order:
Danielsan
Theory
Eshua
Pitonboy
Edipisreks
Mainaman
Wenus
Chinacats
Chuck
DeepCsweede

Essentially everyone that PM'd me as instructed. Except DeepC, he's a homey. (Sorry I'm weird about rules. Mine anyway) When it comes back I'll send it out to everyone who responded in the thread.

About the knife: Don't judge a book by it's cover. Give it a chance to grow on you. I'll sharpen and polish it up as best as I can on Sunday.

Rick, if you want to PM danielsan with your addy that would be cool. I'll let you guys handle it from here.

The list

Box empty, thx.

Honyaki has landed! Will get to try it out this evening, can't wait!

Next up is Chuck; I need your info and it will go out promptly.

Cheers!

Sadly, life got crazy. Just got transferred to a new city. Included moving, my apartment is a mess (see butt load of boxes) haha. I am going to sadly have to pass at the moment.

-Chuck

Latest posts

Back