First Pass-around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst part for me is that I continuously reinforce reading for understanding with my students. Sometimes a good hard slap is needed.

PZ

Hey don't feel bad, I got cut and I *did* follow the rules. Though to be honest, I'd be terrified of actually damaging it so it's probably for the best. ;)

PM? No see?

Oh, buggers. upon further review Vertigo was actually the first to reply. Sorry dude.

Vertigo, please PM your addy to Danielsan. Rick (Theory) will be after you.

Knife was delivered to Danielsan this afternoon.

Thanks for the vid. I felt a bit of nostalgia. :) The white was a little thicker, iirc. Maybe that's why the blue felt sharper.

The white was bigger in general. Not so much thickness but length and height. Not by much.

Side note: When I dropped it off today, Dan's boss picked it up and imediately said, "I don't like it".

Yah got to use it. And I mean use it.

The white was bigger in general. Not so much thickness but length and height. Not by much.

Side note: When I dropped it off today, Dan's boss picked it up and imediately said, "I don't like it".

Yah got to use it. And I mean use it.

I've been experiencing much the same with my Watanabe Kiritsuke-gyuto. Really didn't like it at first(almost sold it), but it's growing on me more and more. And on the other side of that nut- I finally got to play with a Takeda gyuto and realized how much more I enjoyed the Watanabe.

Wish I hadn't missed this passaround, looks like fun...

Put the Mizuno through a few long shifts at the office, and it's currently heading to Theory.

Thanks again Salty!

That's it - let's here some thoughts/comparisons/idealogues/reflections/ruminations/scruitiny :viking:

Sorry - I have to have something to look forward to since I am last!

That's it - let's here some thoughts/comparisons/idealogues/reflections/ruminations/scruitiny :viking:
Haven't really collected my thoughts about this guy yet. Here are a few notes off the top of my head:

• It has something of a learning curve. The first hour or so, I thought it was awkward and clunky. By the end of the day, I loved it.
  • Cuts thinner than it is. Got a big fat chunky grind and has virtually no sticktion issues, but also moves easily through food.
  • Blade heavy son-of-a-bizzo. Part of the "learning curve" is getting used to the weight.
  • Definitely not for everyone. Industrial knife for industrial use.
  • Begs for abuse. You get done julienning three dozen onions rapid-fire, and you just wanna throw the thing across the board like a boss.
  • Profile wasn't my favorite, but it was fitting for the geometry, if that makes sense.
  • Gorgeous patina that just kept getting better, zero odors or discoloration on food.

This is one of the most effective "workhorse" knives I've used professionally. It's like Wusthof got its act together and made a SuperSthof, a big mean burly bastard you could use for anything without worry, that also cut well and had great steel. That said, I was never compelled (even the slightest bit) to take it out at home to cook dinner for two. Just seemed overkill.

Haven't really collected my thoughts about this guy yet. Here are a few notes off the top of my head:

• It has something of a learning curve. The first hour or so, I thought it was awkward and clunky. By the end of the day, I loved it.
  • Cuts thinner than it is. Got a big fat chunky grind and has virtually no sticktion issues, but also moves easily through food.
  • Blade heavy son-of-a-bizzo. Part of the "learning curve" is getting used to the weight.
  • Definitely not for everyone. Industrial knife for industrial use.
  • Begs for abuse. You get done julienning three dozen onions rapid-fire, and you just wanna throw the thing across the board like a boss.
  • Profile wasn't my favorite, but it was fitting for the geometry, if that makes sense.
  • Gorgeous patina that just kept getting better, zero odors or discoloration on food.

This is one of the most effective "workhorse" knives I've used professionally. It's like Wusthof got its act together and made a SuperSthof, a big mean burly bastard you could use for anything without worry, that also cut well and had great steel. That said, I was never compelled (even the slightest bit) to take it out at home to cook dinner for two. Just seemed overkill.

I think it would be worth it tho. :headbang::cheeky:

Where's the balance point on the knife? I'm really interested in knowing how blade-heavy it is...

Where's the balance point on the knife? I'm really interested in knowing how blade-heavy it is...
Hmm. Can't say I remember for sure. I didn't give the knife a critical inspection like I did with yours, since I don't think either the maker (or Salty) is particularly interested in feedback. It could have been more balanced than it felt, and just seemed blade heavy because of its overall weight. It's the first 240 I've shipped that needed 2 pounds of postage, though.

It is blade heavy but it's a great example of what I refer to as "weight distribution". With the right grip it kind of melds with your arm and hand. Also more responsive than you might think.

wow hope he didn't get the passarounds mixed up.

I talked to theroy yesterday. He has my adress now so i assume ill get it on mondayish.

wow hope he didn't get the passarounds mixed up.
For some reason there were 5 pass around blades that lined up in my possession within a month. Weird.

Anyway I wanted to ship her out Tuesday but was unable to do so. This week has been hell and I haven't had a chance since I've been going in super early and closing all week. I sharpened her up just now and she's heading out tomorrow morning. Impressions to follow.

For some reason there were 5 pass around blades that lined up in my possession within a month. Weird.

Anyway I wanted to ship her out Tuesday but was unable to do so. This week has been hell and I haven't had a chance since I've been going in super early and closing all week. I sharpened her up just now and she's heading out tomorrow morning. Impressions to follow.
I had 3 of them this week myself. Not the first time I had more than 1 in a week. Can't wait for you impressions.

Wanted to put a few thoughts here before I pass out from exhaustion again.

Great looking n knife right off the bat. Even through the patina you can still see the mirror polish and there's a subtle hamon line reminding you of its honyaki construction. Pretty basic handle but it fits the feeling of this knife. Workhorse. Just a bit shy of 240mm I believe it was around 232 or so, a little shorter than I am used to.

The profile has enough upsweep towards the tip making it good at rocking but not crazy like a german blade, it's still a gyuto were talking about here. Knife is obviously a bit thicker than the average gyuto but it doesn't cut like a fatty. Smooth is the word that comes to mind. It's a smooth cutter. Has a nice grind going for it as food release was damn good. Wedging could be a problem though sometimes but not as much as I imagined it would be.

I threw a bunch of products at this bad boy and it just kept tackling them with ease. It might feel a bit clunky at times until you get used to how it works but I settled in quickly and enjoyed it's smoothness.

Sharpening was a joy as well. This was the first honyaki blade I sharpened and from what I heard I was expecting it to be difficult. Not the case. Super easy to develop an even burr except for one spot about 20-30mm up from the heal, I think it may be a slight overgrind on the blade face. I had the edge comfortably shaving arm hair at 1000 grit without pulling through the felt block or stropping. The edge just cleans up nicely. Took it up to 5k then stropped on felt with diamond. Screaming edge! Holy hell that thing gets sharp. Edge retention was pretty good too. Not the greatest but it settles in and holds a good serviceable edge for a while with just stropping.

So that's it I guess. Had a pretty good experience with my first honyaki blade. She's a great looking workhorse that makes you think twice about Japanese grinds. Thanks for letting me play around with her for a bit Salty and tell me what you think about the edge I put on it Eshua.

Just got home after my first day with the beast...time to go make some fried rice before I have to much gin in me.

Back