Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i should charge same prices as they do on BST right now for Shigefusa :p They make even more profit then me without paying taxes and costume fees

And without the overhead of running a business...I think you should also raise prices on Kato to meet the current market conditions. Situation totally out of hand...

And without the overhead of running a business...I think you should also raise prices on Kato to meet the current market conditions. Situation totally out of hand...
Noooo not on Kato :nunchucks::rofl2:

I think i should charge same prices as they do on BST right now for Shigefusa :p They make even more profit then me without paying taxes and costume fees

Plz don't. We need to ban together against the price gauging, where people recognize it and call people out. This would be a better deterrent. If prices are just simply raised then, people that guage will just raise them more.

Raise the prices for both Kato and Shig, it would be advantageous for people that actually want to own them. Probably wouldn’t sell out as fast.

Raise the prices for both Kato and Shig, it would be advantageous for people that actually want to own them. Probably wouldn’t sell out as fast.

Uggh.. I see the logic behind it, but it also makes it harder for those who really want it and have trouble affording. People that come into with a business aspect will just look at as expense, but still see profit to be made.

Uggh.. I see the logic behind it, but it also makes it harder for those who really want it and have trouble affording. People that come into with a business aspect will just look at as expense, but still see profit to be made.

But maybe less flipping profit means...less flipping?

JNS could charge whatever they want for katos. Not like you have any other options if you want a knife by a 50 years master swordsmith. This is a perfect example of how ridiculous this argument is! Careful what you wish for people!

And let’s just admit it, we have have like a 1 in a million chance of scoring a brand new shig/kato gyuto from maxim these days.

Yeah there is some possible truth to your points, but I still don't like it. And I'd rather take my chances scoring or getting it from a member who will sell reasonably. Not everyone flips. If you raise the prices than everyone else just also had to raise prices to compensate. It just makes it worse

I agree with Chicago.

We can just agree to disagree, haha. I really don’t think that shigs and Katos will always be resold at +$500 retail no matter what the retail is. Surely there’s a breaking point.

We can just agree to disagree, haha. I really don’t think that shigs and Katos will always be resold at +$500 retail no matter what the retail is. Surely there’s a breaking point.

I hope so, but I don't see how the retail price will stay at current levels and not inch it's way up to market demand. Or until the next "hot" "low production" knife comes out.

Don't know if this has been said or not, but its what I do when I am selling items on nice forums. Usually I will do quick posting history of someone. Sometimes it can help item find a good home for good price, without someone flipping it.

Or a lottery like Bloodroot Blades uses.

This is a good idea. Makes it more fair than what is going on now with some people clearly using bots or something to keep on getting katos and shigs more often than pure chance would allow. As for prices going up, they should. Anything that sells in seconds and then is flipped right away for large profit is clearly priced too low from the source.

This is a good idea. Makes it more fair than what is going on now with some people clearly using bots or something to keep on getting katos and shigs more often than pure chance would allow. As for prices going up, they should. Anything that sells in seconds and then is flipped right away for large profit is clearly priced too low from the source.

Nah, it’s the rarity aspect. Has nothing to do with price. I’ve seen $200 limited edition sneakers that sold out within minutes, and were being flipped within minutes on resell sites for a 200% markup with only screenshots of the sale page from the original retail site. Hype is a business that cares not for market pressures.

I think if Maxim raises the prices it gets closer to what the market is willing to bear and the profit is his rather than some jackass who buys to flip.

I think if Maxim raises the prices it gets closer to what the market is willing to bear and the profit is his rather than some jackass who buys to flip.

Flipping isn't going to go away, as long as there are people want the knife and are willing to pay for it. Part of what drives this is perceived scarcity, and knives selling within minutes of Maksim's posting them is part of this, I'm afraid, since the average working person who wants to buy one and not flip it is competing with the flippers who are just waiting for Maksim's email to pounce. A waiting list or lottery are ways to make the purchasing process more fair to the working person, and to provide the perception that one's patience may be rewarded.

SHIG ALERT! 2 available on bst! :tease: I got super excited because I was the first to view the yoshihide....

I am all for it, I already can’t or willing to afford these. Price has everything to do with it, hype or not. There is a price at which these will not sell for hours or days or ever. The only reason flipping is possible is because Maxim sells these too low for what the market thinks these are worth. We can argue about why people think these are worth these prices, hype or otherwise....

Lottery or list would be more fair, but I don’t expect Maxim to bother and complicate his life.

For the price increase it was meant as a joke :p i think on the knife forum there is no place for flippers as we all care about knives and don't want to see our beloved makers taken advantage of
For the lottery/ list thing i explained it before, i had just now 8 katos for sale, all went to a different person, different country, 5 of them to a new costumers.
When i had list lottery, i had to wait for reply sometimes it was months, then i had to wait for payments it was time again, i never know what i get so i can not really take orders say gyutos sujis etc.
Prepayments i will never take as i dont know what future bring maybe i never get the knife, maybe i get run over by a car next week :p And i hate to hold the money

For the price increase it was meant as a joke :p i think on the knife forum there is no place for flippers as we all care about knives and don't want to see our beloved makers taken advantage of
For the lottery/ list thing i explained it before, i had just now 8 katos for sale, all went to a different person, different country, 5 of them to a new costumers.
When i had list lottery, i had to wait for reply sometimes it was months, then i had to wait for payments it was time again, i never know what i get so i can not really take orders say gyutos sujis etc.
Prepayments i will never take as i dont know what future bring maybe i never get the knife, maybe i get run over by a car next week :p And i hate to hold the money

This is my favorite answer :doublethumbsup:

Flippers exist due to there being a market for them. Buying "low" and selling high works because there is someone that is willing to buy high for a item that is perceived to be rare and special. If people stop over paying to flippers, the market drys up for them and they go away as they work for the profit. The problem is that people seem to have more money than brains, and the forums always seem to be hyping the next big knife which then suddenly becomes rare due to supply and demand for the handmade knives.

Flippers exist due to there being a market for them. Buying "low" and selling high works because there is someone that is willing to buy high for a item that is perceived to be rare and special. If people stop over paying to flippers, the market drys up for them and they go away as they work for the profit. The problem is that people seem to have more money than brains, and the forums always seem to be hyping the next big knife which then suddenly becomes rare due to supply and demand for the handmade knives.

We've long ago determined the reason people flip knives...but it seems to be making this less of a community and more of a marketplace...wish the ******** responsible would take this **** elsewhere...go make a profit on eBay and stop trying to ruin the community that has been built over the years. BST was always a place you could go to try a knife you were interested in buying but couldn't get...shigs and katos, etc were almost always sold at reasonable prices (less than retail)...agreed that people willing to pay these prices are driving the bst and that is the annoyance...never seemed to be an issue in years past...prices were too high and the knives would sit...now it's ask as much as you can and flip the knife almost instantly...which sucks for the newer members of the community who truly only wish to try these knives...fortunately I've had my fill of shigs and katos but bummer for the community as a whole...and bummer for honest vendors like Maxim (and the makers themselves) who initially brought these knives to the community and unfortunately see none of the profit. I was really hopeful something would come out of the recent bst discussion and still think PT's idea from the shaving forum would help return this to more of a forum of like minded individuals and less of a full out get what you can profit center.

Back