Footwear Poll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been wanting to try some of these. But I have only seen a few that have flat arches and nothing else.

I've seen people running & hiking with those.They use them here in Hawaii for beginner Surf lessions so they don't cut their feet on the reef.

Some how I cannot see anyone getting in the door of a Hotel kitchen wearing those things!

I don't work in a kitchen, but haw might they be different than crocks? Are you referring to appearance or cleanliness? Not arguing, just curious...

I don't work in a kitchen, but haw might they be different than crocks? Are you referring to appearance or cleanliness? Not arguing, just curious...
no protection on the top. Spill oil or hot water you will be burned.

Yea that. Plus you will want a non slip sole. Anything with cracks and crevices, laces, etc... Tend to catch food particles and grease. This is why smooth top loafers and clogs have become popular in kitchens. Also, the grease is very corrosive to some materials...

I used to wear my old Nikes as work shoes. They never lasted more than a month before literally falling apart.

An Corp!

Trash them. Spend money on good shoes. Sell something.

I had a pair of shoes that shrank on me because I left them wet and in the sun(my old crocs), and wore them anyways at the sushi bar. 65-70hours a week I was standing in those things, just a bit too tight. I got used to it, and liked that they didn't slip around so much, but they didn't support well.

The result? An ingrown toenail!

Which came with a complimentary Staph infection!

Which didn't get killed by 3 types of antibiotics!

And it kept me from being able to run for almost 3 years!

And I SERIOUSLY ALMOST LOST MY FOOT 5 MONTHS AGO. You see, Staph spreads to the bone eventually, and I was missing hunks of bones in my feet.

I paid a good quality podiatrist, and after a few months, I have no problems, and no toenail on that foot.

All because I didn't want to drop a C note on some shoes.

Buy. Better. Shoes.

Reading this thread again as I've been shopping for new kicks, and can't believe I missed this post. Epic win Eamon, two enthusiastic thumbs (and one toe also missing a nail) up!

On topic, I bought a pair of Merrells June before last and they gave me over a year of heavy service. After twenty years of kitcheneering, these are the first pair of shoes that gave my oatmeal knees and ankles the support they needed, and did so for longer than six months. Gription isn't the absolute best, but the comfort is worth it. Had I not hastened their demise by dredging them through snow all winter, I'm sure they'd still be rocking just fine today.

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on Shoes for Crews since they seem to prioritize the non-slip function, and I haven't read too much about their podiatric soundness. Anyone able to comment on that? Danskos are also high on the list, but they don't seem to make a style with any semblance of ankle support.

Rubber Birkenstocks.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

my klogs are still rocking strong. these things wont die!

I've burned through four pair of Dansko/Sanita clogs in three years. Comfortable yes but these days I've been wearing Troentorp clogs and closed back clogs and they are superior in every way. Don't let the solid alder wood intimidate you. Ergonomically they are in another class all their own. They do run 1/2 Euro size small so order accordingly.

A big recommendation from me for Birkenstock London's w/ the non-slip soles. The original cork footbed it so much more comfortable than the plastic clogs, and full leather uppers can easily be treated to repel water. My first pair lasted about a year and a half, the current pair has been better cared for and is at a year and showing no significant signs of wear.
Even at +\- $165, they're a deal. For as much time as we spend on our feet, don't skimp on shoes.

ETA: For anyone else with wide feet who find that Dansko's and similar clogs are uncomfortable, try the Birki London's. they're much more accommodating, and have the ability to be re-soled.

I saw a clog fly off a guys foot 25 feet and land in a 5 gallon bucket of scrambled eggs.Hate clogs IMO. Shoes for crews have the best slip resistance , some models uppers suck, but for the money and safety, they are great.

My legs just went to hurting reading that. Maybe the guy shouldn't have been trying to flip his shoe in to that bucket. I have ran, jump, walked in slush with clogs and never had a problem with them falling off.

I purchased a pair of Sanitas, after the first day my feet were killing me, I shelved them and came back to them a few weeks later. Now its all I wear, the initial break in was rough, but now I wear them all the time, even around town(much to my wifes dismay, she thinks they look like womens shoes)

lately ive just been wearing addidas sambas at work. theyre comfortable and breathable. not very slip resistant. oh well.

I wore Onitsuka Tigers for years until I had no more "old" pairs to bring into work. I loved them but now having slip resistant clogs, I should have got a pair ages ago, it makes life so much easier

Have worn both the Danskos open and closed back along with the Birki Londons. The Birki's take a bit to break in but once they are fit to your foot they're great.

Anyone heard anything good about Mephistos? I saw a pair I think called Zephiro, they look like the Birkenstock Boston. Really expensive though. A server at my work has had hers for 8 years and swears by them, so that should give me a good 6 months of kitchen work I think :lol2:. I have been through way too many super birkis and birkenstock bostons, haven't tried the londons yet. I tried a pair of crocs a few years back, but they are too spongy and are killer on my back, I can't stand Dansko's either.

I have a feeling the Super Birkis aren't made like they used to, I used to get over a year in them, but not any more. So, I just got a new pair of super birkis to tide me over, debating dropping 2 bills on a pair of these Mephisto things. If anyone has had good results I would love to hear.

Oh nevermind on the London, they are the same as the Bostons but with a closed heel, my Birkenstock Bostons are smooth soled and talking toes after 4 months.

A big recommendation from me for Birkenstock London's w/ the non-slip soles. The original cork footbed it so much more comfortable than the plastic clogs, and full leather uppers can easily be treated to repel water. My first pair lasted about a year and a half, the current pair has been better cared for and is at a year and showing no significant signs of wear.
Even at +\- $165, they're a deal. For as much time as we spend on our feet, don't skimp on shoes.

ETA: For anyone else with wide feet who find that Dansko's and similar clogs are uncomfortable, try the Birki London's. they're much more accommodating, and have the ability to be re-soled.

I like the Birki cork for long standing.My leather's did not last as long as yours.The plastic seems to last a long time,easier maintainence.Just put a cork bed in them.I used the one fr. my leathers,but you can buy the cork at any Birke store.

I second the Danskos. I am not in a kitchen, but on my feet 12 hrs a day at work. Had back pain and foot pain till switched to Danskos. Not the clogs- which I also find comfortable,but the shoes. I don't wear the clogs cause of ankle issues. One clog I do like too are the keens which I've had for years- only wear at home.

Vans slip-ons, leather top, black. $20-30 canadian and really non-slip. also, they fit almost all insoles.

I like the Birki cork for long standing.My leather's did not last as long as yours.The plastic seems to last a long time,easier maintainence.Just put a cork bed in them.I used the one fr. my leathers,but you can buy the cork at any Birke store.

They do require a little more maintenance, usually a quick wipe down each night and maybe a once a week coat of mineral oil. But they cork footbeds sound like a good idea. I might give your setup a shot once these are done, gotta be a bit cheaper.

Back