Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys, It arrived today while I was at work and my sister signed for it. Tomorrow I have a huge prep list so I'm gonna be putting it through the turns. As an initial review the knife seems super blade heavy and has a pretty decent edge on it. I'm not gonna sharpen it tonight and am gonna use what it has ootb for prep tomorrow and then I will talk more about the edge retention. The profile seems fairly tall.. even compared to a german knife. It has a really cool kind of Kurouchi/pitted look to it and the handle is just really basic but seems fairly comfortable and comparable to an older american scaled western handle but with no curves.

I have only cut a tomato so far and it seems to be pretty nice to work with.

More reviews to come!

Thanks

I absolutely love the nashiji finish on my Tanaka stainless and that one appears similar in finish, I wish more knives had that finish instead of polished or KU. And if this were available in blue steel I would be all over it.

Okay guys, Here we are. First day at work with the fujiwara today and I had a lot of fun with it. I came into work looking for any vegetable prep I could find and of course the prep cooks had been there for about 6 hours already and had done anything they possibly could that had to do with vegetables and cutting stuff. Given it was a saturday it wasn't the best day to look for prep as well because my restaurant does lunch on friday saturday sunday so the lunch cooks had been prepping up things as well.

I am the fish cook at my work and today I had to butcher some big eye tuna and some swordfish and instead of using a suji or a petty I decided that this may be the only thing I get to use the fujiwara for today so I tackled the fish butchery without a problem. It was a real joy to use this knife on proteins. It cut super clean and easily through both fish and I was happy with how nimble the knife felt... especially considering the height and weight of the fujiwara.

I took some pics of the fish I cut with the knife to show you guys... they are iphone pics so bare with me!

some big eye #1 ahi tuna
image_zps08fd1a15.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and some swordfish
image_zps6e4006f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After I got done with the fish I ran around setting up my station and looking for things to do with the hot apps and pantry stations and the hot apps guy asked me to make him some carmelized onions for his burger toppings... I was pretty excited to do some veg at this point so I got out about 10 onions and chopped away. In the cleaning of the ends and removing of skins this knife was almost dreamlike. It flew laserlike through the onion butts and I was pretty excited to get to chopping. When I did end up chopping I noticed having to work a lot more than expected as the knife did end up having a bit of drag through the onions... I am guessing due to its height it was chiseling when I got about halfway up each onion when I was chopping. It made for some extra work, but the added height to the blade also was nice to guide my hand safe and sound through the onions without skipping a beat. The thing is a workhorse and a half.

I barely noticed the handle at all because this knife is PURE BLADE! This is a beast of a gyuto! Later in the night I made some ceviche for my dishwashing team and flew through tiny brunoise of serranos and anaheims peppers, avacodos and red onion, and lemons and limes like nobodies business! I've really had a fun first day with this knife and am very suprised at how much I like the tall profile of it.

I am a rather large guy at 6'3" and about 230 lbs. so my hands are no small thing. For some reason I have always liked the feel of a really small and nimble tool no matter what it might be so I have always thought I would like a really small knife for every task. This is true to some extent, but the feel of this tall profile gyuto was great and gave me a second wind of confidence that I wasn't accustomed to when it came to chopping tasks.

I will give more updates as the week goes on. I really like the visible hamon on the knife. I think a hot vinegar bath would make this thing look like a beast and a half! and some mike henry shoes on it might make me fall in love.
image_zps6550cee2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Brad

The knife is around 6 ounces. Ill scale it today on my digital scale at work and get back to you. The handle scales themselves aren't that bad bit there is gaps between the tang and scales on the bottom. I didn't really even notice the handle while I was using it though. The knife is super blade heavy and really comfortable to chop with. Hopefully today I get to do some serious veg prep with it!

Like I said before, if this knife had a Henry handle on it I don't think I could let it go. The white #1 and stainless cladding are a beautiful thing for edge retention and being super sharp.

image_zps8ce4369f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

9e34980c-a2c2-4deb-8afe-7e5fa7d10a0d_zps72b1d8c7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay Well I think my time is about up with this baby. I had a great time using it and really appreciate the opportunity I had to do so. I would like to add that I don't really use a gyuto on the line or even for prep anymore and this was a really nice knife to have around. Its big and bulky and it does a great job of both proteins and vegetable prep. I never sharpened the knife and it held its edge through a week or so of punishment without a problem. I stropped it on a balsa loaded with .25 micron spray and thats it. Really a pleasure to work with it. And it was something very foreign to me so I had a great learning experience!

Thanks for looking guys,

Brad

This knife shipped today. I did no sharpening on this knife while I had it. The edge had great retention and it picked back up with only stropping on a .25 micron balsa. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to use this knife for the time I had it and will miss it and I cannot wait to see the others reviews!

Thanks again Huw,

Brad

i recieved the knife today. i should give it a good work out the next few days. my initial impressions: lighter and thinner than i expected, nice edge, and surprisingly stiff for being so thin. the handle is nothing special and neither is the grind. really nice profile though. ok fit and finish. cant wait to see how it performs. so far this week ive been playing with my new kato, a borrowed shig gyuto and pandas amazing tanaka ginsanko. it should be interesting how fujiwara compares to these other guys...

upon, closer inspection i noticed some minor micro chips, especially towards the heel. ill do my best to clean it up, shouldnt be a problem in the next few days. i found myself to be pretty disappointed overall with this fujiwara gyuto. just not for me. the grind is flat and thick behind the edge and im not really liking the profile.i would go into more detail, but i would rather not condemn the knife any further until more people in the passaround get a hold of it. sorry. von blewitt, thanks again for giving me a chance to try it out.

Ok I'll post the order this will run now Labor of love has finished up with it so next will be
Panda
Don Nguyen
Zwiefel
Dardeau
Edipisreks
TK59
Mhlee
Mkmk
Ayeung74
Lefty
ShaneG
Dusty

I don't know why that got posted where and when it did. I was more referring to all the knives you were playing with Labor. That should have posted earlier.

Lol, it made sense to me :)

I feel real bad for him too! :puke:

tomorrow its getting dropped off in the mail, headed towards don. i used the knife more today. it isnt terrible, but it could use some work(thinning, rehandle,eased spine)before it really shines. $289.00 project knife i guess.

Labor, have you used a takeda gyuto? How does the height compare to one? And the performance

I just got very busy, I think I'm going to bow out on this one. Thanks for the opportunity.

upon, closer inspection i noticed some minor micro chips, especially towards the heel. ill do my best to clean it up, shouldnt be a problem in the next few days. i found myself to be pretty disappointed overall with this fujiwara gyuto. just not for me. the grind is flat and thick behind the edge and im not really liking the profile.i would go into more detail, but i would rather not condemn the knife any further until more people in the passaround get a hold of it. sorry. von blewitt, thanks again for giving me a chance to try it out.

I thinned out my Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashijii until it barely resembles the knife it once was. It started as a fat knife. Now I have most of the spine less than 2mm thick and thinned the bevel. It still feels hefty and balanced. It cuts much much much better now. I don't think this knife ever went through the hammering of cold-forging.

teru.jpg

Is there a reason why this went from San Diego half way across the US to Louisiana, only to now go back to the western US?

Not sure about that Mike.

I did some runs with this knife. I'll post my thoughts and some pictures soon and send it on its way.

I would be happy to be moved down the list to keep it in a saner rotation. Shipping the thing across the country makes no sense.

No problem, Don and Huw. I am in no rush to receive it. I just thought it was a little odd.

I'm flexible -- whatever works best is fine for me. I'm near Chicago, btw.

Back