Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe everybody left should post their location, before it gets sent to the next person, and then we can rearrange the order from there.

Zwiefel
Dardeau
Edipisreks - Cincinnati Ohio
TK59
Mhlee
Mkmk
Ayeung74
Lefty
ShaneG
Dusty

Zwiefel
Dardeau
TK59
Mhlee
Mkmk
Ayeung74
Lefty - London, Ontario (Canada)
ShaneG
Dusty

Zwiefel
Dardeau
TK59
Mhlee
Mkmk - northern Indiana
Ayeung74
Lefty - London, Ontario (Canada)
ShaneG
Dusty

Here are some quick thoughts on the knife.

I'm not sure what the price point is, but I think it would be a pretty OK workhorse knife for a relatively low price. It's got decent heft to it and the handle is light. The fit and finish is not that impressive so you wouldn't have to worry about getting it scratched/dinged up.

There are a lot of things that could improve though. The profile feels a little bit weird to me because I'm so used to profiles that taper and narrow down much more, but that may be preference. The blade isn't completely straight down the middle, but maybe that's an easy fix with the laminated construction. My biggest qualm is the handle. It's just not finished on the edges and that really distracts me when using it. You can see in the pictures what I mean. That sharp choil with the wood sticking out just isn't comfortable.

The grind is pretty obtuse. I thought it would be pretty good for sticking but I noticed more sticking on this blade than some of the others I've used. With the obtuse grind, it also wedges a little bit too.

Onto the pictures:

YvWVyp1.jpg

R3n38rn.jpg

pNlUIU5.jpg

ur3uTQA.jpg

A short potato video:

[video=youtube;zUkGvmdSUUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkGvmdSUUk[/video]

for what its worth, from the above pictures, its clear that this knife is in need of significant thinning... the out of the box edge is not like that at all

yeah, looks as bad as every other pass-around, halfway through.

I am definitely out on this one, way too much going on. Thanks for the opportunity!

I touched up the edge a little, but nothing significant. It came with a pretty big bevel, very asymmetrical near the heel.

like i stated earlier, that knife arrived to me with chips and with poor F&F. i dont have any low grit stones at the moment so i couldnt restore the edge really...it probably just needs a couple minutes on a low grit stone to take out the chips by the heel.

it actually looks like the wide bevel is untouched... when you are thinning a knife like this, you would be sharpening the whole area under the nashiji finish part. From the pictures, it looks like only the edge has been sharpened (though now that your're getting up into the thicker section of the edge, the bevel size has increased).

it actually looks like the wide bevel is untouched... when you are thinning a knife like this, you would be sharpening the whole area under the nashiji finish part. From the pictures, it looks like only the edge has been sharpened (though now that your're getting up into the thicker section of the edge, the bevel size has increased).

Just like every other pass-around, halfway through.

this pass around has only gone to 3 people. brad, myself and don. if memory serves, the knife itself didnt have much noticeable wear which makes me wonder if it was a lemon ootb. the pass around shouldnt have anything to do with it being thick behind the edge. i gave it a quick gesshin 2k touch up then light stropping. im not sure what brad did though.

A lot of people treat the pass-around knives like their own personal sharpening master class (I've seen it, and my fist SS Heiji 240 was a KKF pass-around which went from a brilliant Jon re-furbished knife to a complete pig in just a few months), which makes me jaded.

i dont know... i've seen quite a few passarounds suffer from the same thing. I've also seen a lot of fujiwara teruyasu's knives... i've never seen one with an ootb edge like the above pics. It looks to have been significantly sharpened by whoever has been using it. And from the pictures, its clear that no one has taken the time to properly sharpen this since first use. This wide bevel sharpening is something that needs to be done regularly to keep the knife in good working shape.

I do know the edge was in better condition when it left me than it was when it was shipped to me. also, if you refer to the first photo in this thread before the pass around began you will see that the bevel is taller at the heel. when i recieved this knife i also had 3 other new gyutos i was testing all of which were much superior to this one. so i lost interest quickly, barely used it. ive never used an ootb box fujiwara edge so i really can only specualate. again, i have no idea if brad did any work to this knife before i recieved it. he probably didnt. i really dont think its fair here for anyone to imply that any person involved in the pass around did harm to this knife in anyway until more information is known.

I never sharpened the knife or really used it all that much. I cut maybe a half of a case of onions and a tuna loin and a couple sides of tuna. Nothing with bones and no serious butchery. Whatever edge it had on it when it got to you was like 95% the same as when I got it. It seemed to cut fine to me but I am no expert. I have only ever even used a handful of gyutos and I am fairly new to Japanese knives.

I rearranged the list with locations in a more reasonable path. Dardeau opted out so he's not on the list (as far as I know).

TK59 - Cali
Mhlee - Cali
Ayeung74 - Tx
Zweifel - Ar
Mkmk - Illinois
Edipisreks - Ohio
Lefty - Canada
ShaneG - New Zealand
Dusty - Australia

I never sharpened the knife or really used it all that much. I cut maybe a half of a case of onions and a tuna loin and a couple sides of tuna. Nothing with bones and no serious butchery. Whatever edge it had on it when it got to you was like 95% the same as when I got it. It seemed to cut fine to me but I am no expert. I have only ever even used a handful of gyutos and I am fairly new to Japanese knives.

Then why the pictures with celery, swordfish, steaks and salmon?

Then why the pictures with celery, swordfish, steaks and salmon?

Like I said I didn't cut anything with bones... Mostly just sliced stuff up. All the fish I used it for we're only sides that we got in at my restaurant and the steaks were just rib loins and strip loins (boneless). I was trying to state that I hadn't brought it in contact with anything harmful. Like a bone in ribeye or chickens or anything like that. :)

I received this knife last week. I've since used it some and lightly sharpened it. I have not done any thinning but after looking it over closely, the heel is much thicker near the edge than the rest of the blade which is not bad. Should I thin this guy? Huw? Also, Mike is bowing out of this one after checking it out this weekend so I'll send it to ayeung74 as soon as I get his address.

I'm now out, as well. Not because I don't like you, Huw, I promise. I just don't have time to use it enough to justify the shipping, etc.

Thanks for the opportunity, mon ami (that's French for "you sonamabish", which is Little Italy for "pal").

I've thinned the knife and put a fresh edge on it. I didn't put much time into getting all the coarse scratches out so don't hold it against me or my stones, lol. It's going out in a few minutes here.

I'm now out, as well. Not because I don't like you, Huw, I promise. I just don't have time to use it enough to justify the shipping, etc.

Thanks for the opportunity, mon ami (that's French for "you sonamabish", which is Little Italy for "pal").

Just now saw the new logo...nice work Lefty!

It's a fairly thin knife, in general with very nice distal taper. I think this is a very nice knife for someone that is willing to put a little time into it. The edge taking and holding was very good and similar to the more expensive Fujiwaras I've used. Grinding the steel was quick and easy work and the edge came out virtually clean under magnification without actually trying to deburr. I did not enjoy the handle and the spine was pretty uncomfortable over time. Fit and finish was on the crude side, maybe a bit moreso than his other lines. Cutting performance was good and better once the edge was fixed and some thinning was done. If you're gonna buy one of these, I'd say, round the spine and any other uncomfortable corners, and you're set. If you think it cuts like a fatty, a little thinning will go a long way.

I forgot to add that I straightened the knife a bit. Thinning wasn't going to well otherwise.

Back