Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering if my standard of "fatty" is different than that of others. I've "realized" that it's not how thin a knife looks, but rather how thin it cuts. A perfect example of this is Itinomonn, which when the choil is held up to a thinned knife, might look a bit hefty. However, the thing cuts like a dream. The way a knife glides in a cut is what is key. If Tk thinned this thing, I bet it's a glider.

I've been wondering if my standard of "fatty" is different than that of others. I've "realized" that it's not how thin a knife looks, but rather how thin it cuts. A perfect example of this is Itinomonn, which when the choil is held up to a thinned knife, might look a bit hefty. However, the thing cuts like a dream. The way a knife glides in a cut is what is key. If Tk thinned this thing, I bet it's a glider.

I find that feel is a much better indicator of thinness than looking at the choil or tip (though looking there can give a good indication, one has to be cognizant of tricks that can be done to make the knife seem thinner than it is, visually). Pinch the edge between your thumb and forefinger at several places on the blade (without cutting yourself), and a knife that is thin behind the edge will be obvious.

Knife arrived a few minutes ago. everything appears to be in good shape...a few minor scratches in the cladding from sharpening, I'd guess. Will put it to work and report back in a week-ish. Might use it to teach my knife skills class on Monday :)

I'm ready to get this in the post to the next person in line. As best I can tell, Dardeau is next in line? If that's right, I can get it in the post fri/sat.

Has everyone who signed up had a go? (northern hemisphere)

I think this is the list after me:

Mkmk - Illinois
Edipisreks - Ohio
Lefty - Canada
ShaneG - New Zealand
Dusty - Australia

I'll get an address from Mkmk and get it in the post shortly.

Yeah, I just don't have time to really give a knife a workout, these days.

Same here, unfortunately. I do appreciate it, Huw.

I haven't heard anything from MKMK, Edipis + Lefty are out. Looks like ShaneG in NZ is next? I haven't shipped one of these internationally before...I think the directions in this thread say insure for $100 and declare it as "kitchen tools?"

I think this is the list after me:

Mkmk - Illinois
Edipisreks - Ohio
Lefty - Canada
ShaneG - New Zealand
Dusty - Australia

I'll get an address from Mkmk and get it in the post shortly.

I've got it and am in the middle of my tryout -- am I right that I'm the last stop in North America? Any last takers before I make arrangements to send it down under?

Moments like Rader campaign for Chris restores my faith in humanity but reading knives being lost at passarounds gives me reality check , hope it will make it back to you Huw

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I don't understand why sometimes. You do something in good faith and you get hammered for it.

Damn. that sucks. That's, I think, 4 items I'm aware of since last summer.

:spankarse:

Hope it gets returned, maybe time for new/untested members to send refundable paypal deposits to one of the mods or something? they get their deposit back when it gets to the next person on the list. Probably a good reason this isn't done and maybe defeats the object of the passaround but might put off the idiots that crap on peoples good nature?

I've never participated in any pass around but this just sucks and it brings the tone and reputation of the Forum down. But surely it can be traced as to who in particular was the last person to have had the knife? And surely this person should be named and shamed! And if the knife is not returned, kicked out in disgrace!

Sorry to hear this about your knife Huw.

Hope this one turns up. Has there been any discussion on putting down a deposit to participate in a passaround?

I think new members should have to put a deposit down, it's a shame reall. I guess this is up to the person providing the knife to decide though.

Hope it gets returned, if not I will chip in $$ to the owner to help find a future purchase.

Hi all,

Apologies for not seeing these posts sooner -- and thanks to larrybard for the heads up. I got clobbered with work and kept it longer than I intended, but shipped it via USPS Priority International to shaneg in NZ in early December. It looks like it sat in customs for a couple of weeks, and was delivered on 12/27/13.

My apologies for any confusion and my contribution to the delays.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action?tLabels=CJ184320137US

Back