Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what other knives are you comparing the food release to? I'm just wondering how good, or bad, the food release is. Root vegetables sticking strongly?

what other knives are you comparing the food release to? I'm just wondering how good, or bad, the food release is. Root vegetables sticking strongly?

The knife has a gentle spine to edge convex grind which favours ease of cutting rather than food release. Cut a potato in half and it releases fine, cut the half and there can be some sticking. The tip releases better but there still can be some sticking. Take half of a small to medium sized onion and push cut 1cm chunks and they tend to stick. On small to medium sized carrots, cut the thick end and it releases fine, cut the small end and there can be some stickage. I should point out that none of food sticks strongly and a quick flick of the blade removes them pretty easily.

that sounds pretty good given the price point. I'll just have to wait for the next round of "ks" to come along. Thanks for the input

are all the latest ones ks profiled? only the thin version is available at the moment, atleast for stainless. can he get custom ones made? i'd like to try this knife but a taller blade, 47mm is too short. and maybe 2.5mm instead of 2.8mm thickness.

i dont think the new yusukes have the ks profile. i think the listing would call it "flatter profile" or something like that if it was. but i could be wrong. yeah, blue way will put different handles on instead of ho wood if thats what you mean. i doubt theres a noticeable difference between a 2.5 and 2.8mm spine. Even at 2.8mm, the yusukes ks profiles are still real light and thin behind the edge. the 270mm lasers have a 2.4 spine if that helps your decision at all.

i send blue way japan questions all the time at ebay. keiichi is pretty fast at responding to inquiries. he will let you know what is and isnt possible.

no custom orders =(
the 270 thick version is 53mm though which is tall enough, do they tend to run short at all? i'm really not a fan of that length.

My "thick" 240 is 240 at the edge.

Want to get one of those but thinking about Carbon VS SS. What do you guys think ?
And will the Ichii handle look good with blonde ferrule?

ive never owned an aeb-l steel knive but ive had several white ones and therefore i would go for a stainless, as the edge retetion is said to be better. white steel seems to lose it rather quick in comparison.

It's a win win situation. I favor stainless just because there are so few production stainless knives i like. Yusuke does a better job than most when it comes to white steel heat treating.

Recently, since I've actually sharpened my SS KS-clone instead of just touch-ups, I've found that the edge retention is not as good as white #2. White #2 may get a bit of a bad rap for edge retention, but I'm finding it better that some other steels I have, including the SS KS and the Blazen SG2. The SS will get just as sharp as white #2 for me, tho. On the other hand, the SS responds better to a touch-up on the MAC black rod and stropping.

On advantage to the SS is its non-reactive, and doesn’t build up a patina. I’m finding that the patina has a slight drag effect on cutting, whereas the SS feels super-smooth.

Even though Yusuke/BWJ claims the extra-hardness of the SS is HRC61, it still feels a bit softer than white #2.

It’s a tough call, and I’m not sure which one I’d pick if I were to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. Can’t go wrong with either steel choice.

Both myself and kfed have noticed that yusukes white steel seems slightly harder and maybe a little more wear resistant than most white steel knives. It is surprising to hear that the masamoto ks has better retention than yusuke SS. Perhaps the masamoto edge is less delicate(thicker behind the edge)and this is keeping the edge from dulling as quickly?

I love patina so White#2 is the answer :D

What about Ichii handle with blonde ferrule, will it look good ?

Both myself and kfed have noticed that yusukes white steel seems slightly harder and maybe a little more wear resistant than most white steel knives. It is surprising to hear that the masamoto ks has better retention than yusuke SS. Perhaps the masamoto edge is less delicate(thicker behind the edge)and this is keeping the edge from dulling as quickly?
I was comparing Yusuke's SS to their own white #2. I haven't used the Masamoto enough to comment on it's edge retention.

I love patina so White#2 is the answer :D

What about Ichii handle with blonde ferrule, will it look good ?
I haven't seen that combo, but I bet it would look good. I have a 210 petty w/ ho wood handle and blonde horn and I think I prefer it to the dark horn.

At this point, ill buy whatever blueway puts up that has the new profile, stainless or carbon, "thicker" grind or thin. Im sure theyre all excellent performers. The thing is i dont think any of the new yusukes on ebay actually have the ks profile at the moment. Im pretty sure he would it "flatter profile"gyuto in the description if was.

At this point, ill buy whatever blueway puts up that has the new profile, stainless or carbon, "thicker" grind or thin. Im sure theyre all excellent performers.
+1

The thing is i dont think any of the new yusukes on ebay actually have the ks profile at the moment. Im pretty sure he would it "flatter profile"gyuto in the description if was.
Agree. But the new gyutos don’t look like quite the same profile as their “original” ones, the Tadatsuna shape, if you will.

Just white steel in the thicker profile or was stainless restocked too?

got the 240 with blonde ferrule this morning. He emailed me at 10:10 and I bought mine at 10:10. If you hit him up he'll keep in touch

Latest posts

Back