Gisele (wanring - long winded and pic heavy)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_2013-04-22-23-23-27-1_zps3dc7981e.png

Ha! thanks! been waiting a little bit on that one, but you guys have me convinced that it's worth it!

got the 240 with blonde ferrule this morning. He emailed me at 10:10 and I bought mine at 10:10. If you hit him up he'll keep in touch

I love the lack of indecision involved here...:biggrin:

It is a shame that they print the kanji. If it is engraved the knife will look amazing. But it is a small thing :)

white #2. Stainless wasn't offered, though I would have still gone with the white either way. I actually don't have Anything in white #2 oddly enough!

not too sure if this question warrants an entirely new thread (if so don't hesitate telling me) but I'm curious about the San Mai construction-
I'm wondering how far the carbon steel goes up the blade. I ask because I want to round the spine more but don't want to expose more carbon underneath. Any thoughts?

UGH, ignore that last post with my apologies! Wrong thread, long day. What an idiot! Sorry guys

So I was able to throw this guy into service last night. First, let me just say that the shipping speed is so fast! Paid money on Monday, hit my door Thursday! From Japan!
Second, and more important, this thing is razor sharp right from the get go! No strop, one hand slice right through tomatoes no prob. But, before I go any further I want to figure out something. This guy just plowed through 50# duck legs and breasts, lots of mire poix, potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, etc... But NO patina. Then I mince up some tarragon and this happened:

20130428_151140_zps3a073b2e.jpg

20130428_151200_zps970fc3e9.jpg

20130428_151217_zpsb3d75ecf.jpg

20130428_151217-1_zps71a9c3ea.jpg

It's like a super thin film is peeling off. In fact, I can scrape it off with my thumb nail. I have No idea what this is. I'm a little concerned/ confused. Does anybody know this is? Bad or nothing to worry about?

i guess its a coat of lacquer that appears to be on every white no 2, at least the ones that i bought. protects from patinaing, can be removed with acetone, but will naturally remove from time to time.

If you got the carbon, it's a little lacquer type protective film they put on to prevent any oxidation during storage/shipping. Nail polish remover should take it off.

thanks guys! Whew! I was hoping that's all it was. I've never seen it on others I've gotten, but just needed to know for sure.

i like keeping the laquer on personally. behind the edge will eventually take on a real bright blue patina while the rest of the blade almost appears stainless, atleast for awhile. i think the contrast is cool. Marc4pt0, did you get the thinner or thicker one? please tell us more about your first impressions!

Yeah, like the other guys said, it's a protective lacquer. I've read that it should be removed prior to use as it may have some adverse health affects, but it's up to the user. Personally, I remove it w/ acetone but leave it on the kanji to protect it for as long as possible. Marc - please tell us more about what you think of it???!!!

I was thinking about starting a different thread as to not steal this one, but I'm glad I can continue right here! I'm not much of a knife reviewer, I just know what I do and don't like. I can't get much into tech and spec, only because that's not solely my thing. I just basically want to cut, chop and slice a ton crap

So I got the thinner of the group, 2.3mm. I wanted to try the thinner one and it was also the only one offered with blonde ferrule. Straight to the point? Ok, Frankly, I'm in love with this knife, and I have this thread to thank for the introduction. That's not saying much though, as I fall in love with all my knives...
Out of the box, this guy is way more sharp than most others I've gotten. It feels so light, but oh so right when using it. I plowed through Saturday prep and was just amazed at how well it bounced from hard root veg to mince of shallots to cleaning duck to light handed herb chopping and a whole slew of other tasks. It's got a decent flex to it, but not a lot. Just the right amount, the kind of flex that won't bend or sway unless intended w/ purpose.
It's not a tall knife like I tend to gravitate towards, but the profile lends itself well with no learning curve.
After the lacquer started to peel, I just took it off the rest of the way. It looked as though there was a gummy residue on the blade and I just couldn't get past it. The blade itself is now taking on a nice hue of blue.
For the handle, I wasn't 100% sold on it at first. I think it may be a bit too smooth of a finish, but I'm sure that will change with some beaten up. I also think it could stand a little thinning along the sides, thus giving the handle more of a "taller" feel. I might try that later down the road.
As for cutting, nothing sticks to it. Everything just stays put as the blade goes to work. For the 1st half of the day, I just worked with the OOTB edge, and it didn't disappoint. We've all seen the videos of knives cutting tomatoes and such. Well I've never recorded a video of me slicing or cutting anything. So please excuse this piece of crap I'm linking here. I was honestly just amazed how well sharpened this knife was straight out of the bubble wrap! So I made this video. Anybody not wanting to break the bank while still trying to elevate performance will hopefully find this of interest: (and yes, that's me w/ my phone propped up against a mixing bowl. Slicing slowly trying to keep the focus clear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5_uXp1vi4

Lol great vid and nice write up Mark4pt0. The only critique I would say is you did the last tomato test upside down.....:sarcasmalert: :whistling:

All seriousness great job on the vid.

Latest posts

Back