Gray Kunz Spoons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are quite wide, so at first you might not think they are great for quenelles, but in fact they do a great job.

Has anyone used both the Kunz and knock-offs from the one place? How do they compare?

I have used both the original Kunz spoons and have purchased the 2 pieces set from that place. I honestly cant say there is a noticable difference between the two. I use them everyday at work and they are a pleasure.

Ordered some Kunz spoons today (two large, two small) and I'm pretty excited. I'm definetely going to be protective of them as in just a few short months, I've seen how valuable personal equipment can go missing. One of my first instructors once said "you can borrow my knife (which given our community isn't always the case), but you keep you hands off of my spoon man!"

Absolutey love these spoons. Ordered three more today (as i know somehow they will magically disapear. Along with my Roesle peeler, these have been some of the best performing "non knife" gadgets I could ever hope to find in a kitchen. Any more suggestions?

Which size do you find most useful? I can't decide what to order...two of each?

I originally got two of each. I can't recall the specific sizes. But I re-ordered three in the larger variety, they where not nearly as big as I thought they'd be and were perfect for saucing a plate. The smaller ones are just like fancy table spoons. I'll still find a use for them, but it's the bigger one's you'll need.

I originally got two of each. I can't recall the specific sizes. But I re-ordered three in the larger variety, they where not nearly as big as I thought they'd be and were perfect for saucing a plate. The smaller ones are just like fancy table spoons. I'll still find a use for them, but it's the bigger one's you'll need.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get a few of the larger size, and maybe one of the smaller ones just to satisfy my curiosity.

Yeah, the small ones are okay, I mainly use them for cereal at home or staff meal. The bigger Kunz have a pointier bowl so even when doing delicate plating I still prefer the bigger spoon. These are the type of spoon I prefer for tasting. They are longer than the smaller Kunz and have a smaller bowl. And still useful for plating some items.

If you are having trouble deciding, personally I would get 3 large regular spoons and 2 large perforated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Johnychance about tasting spoons but please remember taste sanitize and rinse then dry might become a process.

i use plastic spoons at work taste once and gone and sometimes i feel guilty for the landfill even though we recycle a good 60% and compost etc.Still i consider plastic an enemy of environment .

Kunz large size are useful i have about 2 in my kit , bunch of tweezers and other solid spoons but i do have 2 perforated kunz that i use for plate up both small and large as well.

I agree with Johnychance about tasting spoons but please remember taste sanitize and rinse then dry might become a process.

i use plastic spoons at work taste once and gone and sometimes i feel guilty for the landfill even though we recycle a good 60% and compost etc.Still i consider plastic an enemy of environment .

Kunz large size are useful i have about 2 in my kit , bunch of tweezers and other solid spoons but i do have 2 perforated kunz that i use for plate up both small and large as well.

For tasting spoons, I just grab a handful of spoons from the front of the house and keep them close by in a 9 pan.

I've seen in fine dining places its common to keep spoons in a bain marie (well, just a 9pan with water). Some have two 9pans, one for clean spoons and one for dirty spoons. However the spoons are never sent to the dish, every so often both are just rinsed out with hot water.

When people are talking about the large is it the XL size or the regular size?

Regular size, the XL is same bowl size and what not, but Xl has longer handle

Yo gravedigger,

Togo has knockoffs of the Kunz spoons that are considerably cheaper. (Can't believe I said that out loud) I've got to flip them over to tell the difference.

I like Ruhlman's spoons a lot more than the Kunz, though in fairness Ruhlman's first offset spoon was just a bent Kunz spoon. I love the offset handle -- makes basting and skimming in a pan or pot a much more enjoyable experience. I wish I had two more of the small, medium, and large offset spoons. They all feel great in the hand. The medium and large are great for serving things like mashed potatoes or things out of casserole dishes (in addition to more chefly tasks). I also like the soup spoons. If you pair them with the right bowl, the angle of the handle can be just delightful. The super-giant offset spoon is a little bit much though. It's bigger than most of my ladles. Here's a picture of the whole gang:

spoons.jpg

How do they compare to the Kunz? The small Kunz spoon is borderline indistinguishable from the ordinary spoons in my flatware drawer. (I can find no reason to purchase it. The big one is more obviously a "different" kind of spoon, but it's still not something I reach for very often when I have the Ruhlman spoons sitting around. I just love the ergonomics on the Ruhlman ones so much more.

The perforated Kunz spoons, on the other hand, get an unqualified endorsement just because of what they are. Spoons with holes in them are useful. Ruhlman should make some.

Anyway, here's the lineup of the Ruhlman and Kunz spoons next to each other.

spoon_lineup.jpg

And though it's not really a competitor to the Kunz spoons, I also am a fan of Ruhlman's "Bad Ass Egg Spoon," (or "bae" as it is affectionately known) which is on the far right in the image above. It's my go-to strainer/server spoon when cooking.

And since I'm doing a gratuitous over-share about my spoon problem, here's an aluminum strainer spoon from the Soviet Bloc that I got from Ukrane off of Etsy.

il_570xN.1149240384_oly9.jpg

And this thing that I also got from Etsy. I should take a better photo (this was theirs).

screen_door_strainer.jpg

I believe both of these spoons were used to strain tea. Anyway, the point is that you can find some weird-ass vintage spoons on Esty. Just don't go buy all the cool ones or I'll have to cut you. jk lol etc....

I just tried to order the Bad Ass Egg Spoon from Ruhlman's but the checkout isn't working. I wonder why? I've been wanting one of the large Kunz spoons as well.

I just tried to order the Bad Ass Egg Spoon from Ruhlman's but the checkout isn't working. I wonder why? I've been wanting one of the large Kunz spoons as well.

I spoke to them a month ago, told me they were redoing their online store and no way to place an order (even over the phone) till the new store
launches in the fall.

Darn,tried to order the Kunz spoons that I wanted and JB Prince won't take my credit card so had to change my mind and order the copies from the other place.

A couple of sellers, including JB Prince, have the spoons on on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=garden&field-keywords=kunz+spoon

I just picked up a couple of small Kunz spoons from my local restaurant supply: http://www.trimarkusa.com/divisions/locations/trimark-economy-restaurant-fixtures
Yep,thanks.I seen them on Amazon but some of the knives are more expensive then JB and JB didn't have the ones I wanted on the Amazon site.Since I already ordered from my other favorite site,the only spoon I want now is Ruhlman's egg spoon.I need a slotted spoon and that one seems to cover all the bases for me.

Yo gravedigger,

Togo has knockoffs of the Kunz spoons that are considerably cheaper. (Can't believe I said that out loud) I've got to flip them over to tell the difference.
Received my Richmond Spoons the other day.I am quite pleased with them.

Well,so much for that idea.It would cost me almost $15 for a $19 spoon for them to send it to Ohio from New York.That ain't going to happen. Didn't they ever hear about USPS ?

Here you go...free shipping: https://homebutcher.com/collections/kunz-spoons

I can also pick some up at my local restaurant supply shop if they're out of stock of what you want and mail to you if you're not in a hurry...

Latest posts

Back