head shake moments

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, everyone who is in charge of a section - a Chef de Partie, and up. The French system.

Chef is the French word for Chief. It just means they're the chief of that section.

Here's a fun one....

Health inspection this morning. I was forced to pour bleach on roughly $6k worth of perfectly fine sushi grade tuna. Otoro, Chutoro, and Akami.

Plenty of fish in the sea........ right?

Here's a fun one....

Health inspection this morning. I was forced to pour bleach on roughly $6k worth of perfectly fine sushi grade tuna. Otoro, Chutoro, and Akami.

What was it flagged for?

Here's a fun one....

I seriously want to cry...

What was it flagged for?

I don't know the specific citation yet. I'm interested in finding out.

We have a blast chiller/freezer that the sushi team uses for fish (especially fatty ones like tuna). It gets down to around -40 and fast. I don't know why but when our tuna comes in and sushi breaks it down/portions it out, they freeze the blocks without it being covered in plastic wrap. I can speak first hand that this is the best fish I've ever seen and without question the best sushi I've ever had. I'm not a sushi chef or expert in the slightest... but it is really, really, really nice fish. Freezing the tuna without plastic-wrap doesn't affect the quality at all in my experience.

But we got knocked for the unwrapped tuna in the blast chiller. And the inspector requested that I not just throw the tuna away, but that I had to pour bleach on it before hand (or dish soap!) so that it was completely unserveable. So yeah. Not just some of the most amazing fish I've ever seen, but also of a species that sadly is being horribly overfished and probably won't be around for too much longer... and I've got to pour bleach on it.

I had a buddy who worked in SF in the early 2000's. Health inspector shows up, and finds a whole prime rib resting in the prep area, and says they have to cut it into 3"x3" chunks so it cools faster... Idiocy. Sheer idiocy.

Here's a fun one....

That is disgraceful… I actually just read a local news article that'd put things in perspective for what a Heath inspector ought to do. The remind me of OHS officers who show up to job sites

EDIT
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...t-down-following-health-inspections-1.3699495

Last edited:
they probably dont wrap because the saranwrap will insulate the tuna (higher in temp than the blast chiller) against the ambient temperature of the blast chiller, which means it will take longer to freeze, which means the ice crystals have a chance to become much bigger and in turn ruin the texture/mouthfeel of the tuna.

tasted some f**ked up looking baked oysters today BEFORE realizing they were two weeks past due. Only had a fingertipful but damn do I feel like **** already (8 hours on)

So for the next time, try to concoct a sauce that will smell like dish soap and tastes delicious on the fish :)

"oops, sorry for spilling the undiluted bleach on your clothes, inspector..." :)

I had one of the owners tell me I have higher standards on food, cleanliness and overall organization than he does smh. Time to start looking around.

Here's a fun one....

You should have put the inspector in the blast chiller. Tightly wrapped in cling film, of course.

Back