Help me choose a Honesuki!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking after a honesuki to add to my collection. I am not going to use it for the traditional poultry so much, but more after a versatile knife to prep whole fish and do some whole animal butchery. I will still be using for poultry from time to time, just not the main focus.
I saw a few cheaper model made out of straight carbon such as SKS or SK tool steel. I am surprised, as I feel like you could taste the oxidation with those a fair bit, especially on raw meat/fish. Maybe I'm wrong there? It's obviously a very popular choice to go without cladding.

I did quite like the look of this https://carbonknifeco.com/products/hitohira-td-sld-tsuchime-honesuki-150mm
Seem like I will be able to even use that as a carving and service knife, small but can do it all kind of. They also do a aogami 2 version which is tempting.

Budget wise, I would like to stay under the 200usd mark.

Thanks for anyone's input!

I have an Ashi Hamono wa honesuki basically new if you're interested. You might look at jns butcher knife, pretty great, not stainless though

I heart my honesuki, Yoshi V2 from Maxim years ago. But. It is not, nor ever will be, an effective knife for most of the uses you described.

Now mine is a true single bevel, with ura. You might be able to utilize a 90/10 or 50/50 configuration but me thinks you would be better served with a poultry knife for poultry and a petty (180mm of course) for the rest of your tasks.

I would not recommend a honesuki for what you've described.

A deba along with a garusuki or even something from Dexter/F. Dick/Victorinox for the animal bitchery would be much better. I got my son in law the Victorinox butchery kit and he's broken down many an elk and deer with that kit and loves it.

Knife Japan has a good selection of debas and ajikiri at reasonble prices:
https://knifejapan.com/

I use carbon/iron clad for poultry and meat all the time with no taste issues.

Yeah I'm not really seeing any major benefit on getting a honesuki. I'm sure it's perfectly doable and you're bound to find at least someone in Japan using a honesuki as a do it all boning / butchery knife like that, but it wouldn't be my choice.
Honestly if I had to pick 1 'do it all meat & fish knife' it would be my cheap Mora Comfort fishing filleting knife... but that does fish great, trimming fairly well, and you can take apart a chicken with it if you want but it would suck for actual proper boning work.

Think you might even be better off just getting a few dedicated utilitarian knives like Victorinox perfectly suitable for each role and that would still come in far cheaper.

Can't say I ever noticed any issue with reactivity on proteins. Carving with a 150 knife... no thanks.

I think I use a honesuki more than most but not for carving or slicing. I like the stiff blade for trimming, especially silverskin, the low-grit finish for scoring, fillet small fish, sure. Even in that context, an all-purpose petty/suji is more practical. But who's practical? I have too many of them and never noticed a problem with reactivity on proteins. My Masahiro VC has a solid patina at this point and is functionally stainless, or at least resistant. Never had any rust on it. Toyama iron-clad needs more care.

I saw a few cheaper model made out of straight carbon such as SKS or SK tool steel. I am surprised, as I feel like you could taste the oxidation with those a fair bit, especially on raw meat/fish. Maybe I'm wrong there? It's obviously a very popular choice to go without cladding.
There was a time SK was very reactive and smelly, due to remaining sulphur. I'm speaking about a few decennia ago. A new knife took a few months to calm down. Since, the tolerances in industrial standards about sulphur content have been reduced. But the poor reputation remains.
I'm not so sure about the versatility of very small ones, but I'm no professional cook. There are somewhat longer ones — 165 instead of 155mm or even shorter — I find more comfortable in this respect.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/misono-sweden-steel-series-boning-knife

The advantage of a honesuki over a just as indestructible short yo-deba is probably in the fine tip. But this is pure speculation.

I am looking after a honesuki to add to my collection. I am not going to use it for the traditional poultry so much, but more after a versatile knife to prep whole fish and do some whole animal butchery. I will still be using for poultry from time to time, just not the main focus.

I did quite like the look of this https://carbonknifeco.com/products/hitohira-td-sld-tsuchime-honesuki-150mm
Seem like I will be able to even use that as a carving and service knife, small but can do it all kind of. They also do a aogami 2 version which is tempting.

Budget wise, I would like to stay under the 200usd mark.

Thanks for anyone's input!
I’d recommend the Munetoshi butcher knife, rustic, carbon—no worries about oxidation if you wipe down the knife—have used mine a lot for chicken, beef, pork.
For butchering fish, a gyuto is fine. Or get a deba if wanting a dedicated fish butchering knife, though not essential IMHO.

Thank you all for your great input! I will reconsider the use of a Honesuki after reading all of that. Maybe my best bet is to get a Kanehide and a nice petty. Although I don't know how I feel about getting a single bevel.
Any petty people will recommend for 200usd max?

I’ve tried some of the usual petty favourites (Ashi, Takamura, Tanaka x Kyuzo, Konosuke Sumiiro, Mazaki) and my pick for an easy, off-the-shelf option* might be the Shibata ko-bunka. It may or may not be the right fit for you: I personally favour a petty that’s stain-resistant and good for quick board work rather than something slicey. (For that, I prefer something more like a 210 suji — others may steer you towards a Kono HD2 petty.) You’ll have to email to find out shipping costs to NZ — my guess is the total will be just under 200 USD.

For something that might be more financially prudent, the Moriya Munemitsu ginsan series is great by all accounts.

* Unless you have better luck than I did at persuading someone to sell you their Konosuke Sanjo SKD 180 😂

Last edited:
Thank you all for your great input! I will reconsider the use of a Honesuki after reading all of that. Maybe my best bet is to get a Kanehide and a nice petty. Although I don't know how I feel about getting a single bevel.

For what you described, these two would be high on my consideration list:

https://knifejapan.com/okahide-hamono-polished-sabaki-bocho-140mm/

https://knifejapan.com/unshu-yukimitsu-hamono-petty-knife-150mm/

One of the Takamura offerings would probably be a good option as well. If you go with Tokushu and use code KKF15, you get 15% off.
https://tokushuknife.com/collections/takamura-knives

A cheap one Bessaku/Kanehide (double bevel). Misono 150 mm Swedish steel (single bevel) for mid-range (what I have). If you wanna go fancy, find a Takeda honesuki (single bevel).

Little aside, I saw a couple of people mentioning the discount code for Tokushu. Can anyone comment on the quality of their home brand? Was looking at this which seem pretty cheap, but don't really trust it. https://tokushuknife.com/products/honesuki-tokushu-sld

I haven't used @TokushuKnife specific offerings but they are made by Tadafusa and I have used those and I was impressed. Rustic fit and finish but good grind and steel on the one I had. For my tastes/expectations, I wouldn't pause if there was something I wanted.

How much fish butchery are you doing and how large are the fish? I broke down lots of 40lb. + fish with just my Mac gyuto and a filet knife. If I had it to do again I would be happy to have a 180mm deba. If you are looking not to spend too much, I might be thinking Tosa region and I would consult with @bsfsu as already suggested given your location.

If budget is really a concern I would just stick to the western stuff. A brand like Victorinox offers awesome utility for a very low price when it comes to stuff like butchering knives, filleting knives, etc. You can get a whole quiver of knives perfect for each individual jobs for less than the price of one fancy honesuki.

If you insist on getting a honesuki, I always preferred the more utilitarian ones with a western handle. But again, a honesuki wouldn't be my first choice for what you want to do. 🤷‍♂️

I had a honesuki. I gave it away. Not enough room for single purpose knives. I once saw a video of Martin Yah break down a chicken with his CaiDao. He was quick as any chef with a Honesuki.

Back