How many gyutos do you have??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a shiny shigefusa.

yes, yes it is. it's not scratch less, but it's a bright mirror.

I have 4 and another on the way. I haven't been buying knives for long, you can never have too many gyutos. I've also sorta been trying other knives since I have enough gyutos to rotate them a little and to see if different types of knives would make work any easier.

I am down to 9 and plan on selling quite a few more. I have been on a cleaver kick as of late.

here is a pic of the Kochi (on the left) versus some other typical knives. perhaps it will help people determine the blade shape a little better than a pic of the knife alone. it really isn't tall, actually, it just doesn't narrow as much towards the tip.

click to make bigger

Nice knives thats the masamoto ks, then ITK or shigefusa.?

And ya not really tall but i see that it doesn't taper much towards the tip, how would you rater performance compared to lets say the masamoto considering thats the closest one there to my Kono HD?

I actually really like that knife i think it would be a good backup wish i could handle one though first. I think for me it would either be the Kochi or the KS at this point... hard decision.

I was considering the Heji although its a little pricey for me haha

1- 180
1- 200 wide
2- 210
3- 240
1- 240 kiritsuke shaped-on the way
1- 300
= 9, plus, maybe I'll pick up another from Salty soon...?

turns out i was wrong about the gyutos today... i'm closer to 16 or so... there were a few i had forgotten about. Smallest is 180... largest is 300 (used a handful of times)... most are 240 and 270, though my 210mm collection is growing.

here is a pic of the Kochi (on the left) versus some other typical knives. perhaps it will help people determine the blade shape a little better than a pic of the knife alone. it really isn't tall, actually, it just doesn't narrow as much towards the tip.

click to make bigger

What's the 2nd one on the right, next to the hattori?

300mm is a kimchi machine.... (jumbo napa, jumbo korean daikon, jumbo yellow onions). I used to run an Asian fusion/ sushi bar/ Korean BBQ restaurant (aka Asian CONfusion), and we went through 20 gallons of it every week.

Okay... I have 19 including those that are on loan or haven't arrived yet...

Nice knives thats the masamoto ks, then ITK or shigefusa.?

And ya not really tall but i see that it doesn't taper much towards the tip, how would you rater performance compared to lets say the masamoto considering thats the closest one there to my Kono HD?

I actually really like that knife i think it would be a good backup wish i could handle one though first. I think for me it would either be the Kochi or the KS at this point... hard decision.

I was considering the Heji although its a little pricey for me haha

it's a Shig, not an ITK. i haven't used the Masamoto much, since i just got it. the Kochi cuts as well as anything i've used, and better than most. the Masamoto also seems to cut great, too. the Masamoto is a bit more nimble, but there isn't much in it.

3 - takagi honyaki (aogami #1) 240 mm, ichimonji tkc in 240 and ittosai kotetsu (vg10) in 210

Ive always heard good things about Shigs but aren't they super expensive?? Also who sells them, JCK? Just curious.

Im really thinking about the Kochi seems like a great knife, how reactive is it? Id like a carbon knife, although i will be using it at work so there are sometimes where it will remain wet or with food for a short period of time so i need one that can stand up to that.

TK- 19 gyutos!! Thats Crazy but awesome which is your favorite?

I've owned 12 or so, but sold everything that didn't get used as much when I switched to sujis.

Now I only have 3: 270 Kono white#2, 240 Takeda AS kiritsuke, 240 CN

I have 3 or 5, depending on how you view a small funayuki and petite chef knife. I have a feeling another will be coming soon enough.

...TK- 19 gyutos!! Thats Crazy but awesome which is your favorite?
DT-pm steel 250/Carter 240 SFGZ funayuki, I think. I feel guilty not mentioning my 240 Heiji SS, modified 240 A-type and 270 KonHD...

Ive always heard good things about Shigs but aren't they super expensive?? Also who sells them, JCK? Just curious.

Im really thinking about the Kochi seems like a great knife, how reactive is it? Id like a carbon knife, although i will be using it at work so there are sometimes where it will remain wet or with food for a short period of time so i need one that can stand up to that.

the Kasumi Shigefusas aren't massively expensive, there is just a long wait on them. the Kitaeji blades are pricey. Dr. Naka and aframestokyo seem to be the two best ways to get them. it's my favorite knife. i'd suggest getting a Yoshikane kitaeji V2 over a Shig, if you are interested in the type and don't want to wait forever.

i haven't found the Kochi to be terribly reactive. i've found that carbon knives can easily withstand being wet with water for a few minutes, but you don't want to leave acidic liquids on them.

I just went through some of my knife stuff. I am at 24 gyutos and 2 german chef knives. I feel like I may have 2 more at work but not sure. I've got 3 more on order.... I think its time to start thinning the herd a litte...... :no:

home cook here
5 ranging from 210-270 collected over the years I only really use 2 of them but can't seem to part with any every time I think about selling one
+1 on the way

After reading all your posts i don't feel so bad about having 2 well i guess 3 gyutos. Sold a few knives i don't really use today so I'm thinking about adding a gyuto ( either Kochi or KS) and a deba, the Kono HD is pretty thin i feel like i don't need a slicer anymore. Also have you guys thinned the HD? I feel like it doesn't need it but just curious.

5 gyutos
Suisin inox honyaki 270
Masamoto KS 240
Kono HD 240
Kono white#2 240
Hiro AS 240
Aiming to add a heiji or fujiwara teruyasu 240 for the holidays :)

...Also have you guys thinned the HD? I feel like it doesn't need it but just curious.
I have. The tip on mine was on the thick side and the food separation wasn't awesome, so I thinned mainly the tip and increased the convexity on the right side. The edge was a little weak initially but now, it's awesome.

Okay... I have 19 including those that are on loan or haven't arrived yet...

Wow, tk. I only have 7 (smallest 165 and largest is 270).

But here is the follow on question for all you gyuto hoarders: How many gyutos have you not told your wife or significant other about?

k.

How many gyutos have you not told your wife or significant other about?

Umm... most of them? :) Nobody around me pays much attention to my knives - unless we're talking KU versus mirror, it's pretty much just me who knows when I'm using a different knife on one day versus another.

Plenty Boring!:razz:

Does it help if this is the gyuto?

attachment.php

Back