How many gyutos do you have??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it help if this is the gyuto?

attachment.php

That helps, but it also proves you need AT least another gyuto. What did you use while you waited for Marko to pimp your Shige!?

Five. Three that have not arrived yet, including one that was just purchased yesterday, one, I have had in my possession for about a week over the last 2 years and something that is in the works.

Also have you guys thinned the HD? I feel like it doesn't need it but just curious.

I did some thinning behind the edge and slight hamaguri-ba on the face of my HD suji when I first got it and it helps. Although these types of knives are anorexic overall compared to many, edges can always be thinner IMO.
jp7cs9.jpg

I did some thinning behind the edge and slight hamaguri-ba on the face of my HD suji when I first got it and it helps. Although these types of knives are anorexic overall compared to many, edges can always be thinner IMO.
That's pretty much what my 270 gyuto looks like. As for telling my wife, I test out and borrow a lot of knives. She does notice the new ones but she loses track after a couple weeks. :D

Ya i have problems with food sticking to it, any suggestions on how i can help it stick less? Also how do you guy get mirror finishes on you blades?

Ya i have problems with food sticking to it, any suggestions on how i can help it stick less? Also how do you guy get mirror finishes on you blades?
I'd thin the edge out so your bevel gets pretty big on the right side. The mirror-like polish on mine comes from either an 8k or 12k SS, usually.

2, I plan on buying a new one but would like to stay at 2, hence I have to sell one.

I rather have two I use often versus them gathering dust in the drawer. Can't really see how knives perform unless it's used for a week at work.

I was considering not getting any more gyutos, but this thread has changed my mind. Thanks to those who are more addicted than I.

I was considering not getting any more gyutos, but this thread has changed my mind. Thanks to those who are more addicted than I.

Me too! I stopped wanting gyutos a long time ago, but recently had a reinvigorated passion after picking up mine off the rack after almost a year of no use. Combined with this thread and my curiosity to try a more substantial gyuto (Yoshikane, Shig, etc) to round of my collection, and I'm right back to square one from years ago.

For me I am now trying out different styled gyutos, and I am really enjoying that. There is a lot of difference between a Del, Fowler, Martell, and DT. None of them gather dust really; they all get used, but it is also a process of learning what I like. Eventually, in a year or two, I am sure I will settle on a couple knives that are my favorites.

k.

I'd thin the edge out so your bevel gets pretty big on the right side. The mirror-like polish on mine comes from either an 8k or 12k SS, usually.

so just lower the angle down and thin it out on the right side, then once thinned just sharpen as usual?

and the mirror polish i meant on the whole blade not just the edge?

YOU ARE ALL SICK!

Glad I joined the mental ward.

Me too! I stopped wanting gyutos a long time ago, but recently had a reinvigorated passion after picking up mine off the rack after almost a year of no use. Combined with this thread and my curiosity to try a more substantial gyuto (Yoshikane, Shig, etc) to round of my collection, and I'm right back to square one from years ago.

Hmmm...
Reading through this thread, has there ever been a knife trial x-change set up?

Perhaps one where there might be a pool of knives / owners and you could request to trial a blade for a short period of time, say a gyuto from a "laser" or "mighty" column, then return it?
All participants would have to have at least one knife in the pool and the object might be to match up with another member with whom to swap for a week or so.

The only cost would be shipping ($10 USPS Priority box).

Might be an alternative for some of the buying and "this one just wasn't my thing" then selling.

sticking less and mirror polish don't always go hand in hand...

so just lower the angle down and thin it out on the right side, then once thinned just sharpen as usual?

and the mirror polish i meant on the whole blade not just the edge?
Pretty much, yes. Whenever you decide it isn't cutting the way you like, you'll need to thin again. As for mirror polish, it only matters where the food makes good contact. If you have enough convexity and the food is rigid enough, it will not stick.

That helps, but it also proves you need AT least another gyuto. What did you use while you waited for Marko to pimp your Shige!?

I had an old Wusthof that I got before I learned what sharp really meant. But mostly I got by with my nakiri (Takeda) and petty (Watanabe).

I currently have 10 gyutos with two more on the way. I'm trying to suppress this sickness and not buy anymore but every time someone shows their latest work or acquisition my mind goes, "My precious".

sticking less and mirror polish don't always go hand in hand...

Correct, i am still learning a lot about knives, steel, sharpening etc but i believe having a mirror polish does help and a convex grind as well. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Tk- you only need to convex the front of the blade not the back? Just curious i just "assumed" when i heard of convex blades that it was on both sides.

Il give it a try and see how it works, what grit would you recommend for thinning it out on? 400 or a 1k? are my two lowest grits, have a G4k thats gonna be ordered here soon.

I'm trying to suppress this sickness and not buy anymore but every time someone shows their latest work or acquisition my mind goes, "My precious".

it's contagious
from the looks of the thread...pandemic

Correct, i am still learning a lot about knives, steel, sharpening etc but i believe having a mirror polish does help and a convex grind as well. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Tk- you only need to convex the front of the blade not the back? Just curious i just "assumed" when i heard of convex blades that it was on both sides.

Il give it a try and see how it works, what grit would you recommend for thinning it out on? 400 or a 1k? are my two lowest grits, have a G4k thats gonna be ordered here soon.

You can convex one side or both. On thinner knives it might be easier to convex just the one side so you do not have to remove a ton of material from an already slim knife. You might experience more steering with only one side convex however. Try the one side a bit, if you don't like it, add some to the other side.

I would start with your 400.

i would actually use the 1k instead of the 400, but i'm in the school of "it's better to remove too little and have to work a bit harder than to remove too much and have to invent magic to put the metal back on." i've learned that the hard way.

That is true. Depends on the steel too, how thick the knife is to start, and how confident you are. Start with the 1k, if it feels like you are accomplishing nothing, go to the 400, but be careful and check your results often.

I gave it a go this morning, started on the 400, light pressure, i started with it flat on the stone, the raise it slight to get right behind the edge. Did the same all the way up to my taskashima to polish it up,

Then touched the edge up as well. I used carters method i was reading about last night, by using a slight rocking motion to blend the grinds together. I think i did it right.

I gotta say the edge is a LOT sharper than i have been able to get it lately and i only touched it up. Im guessing it was a pretty thick behind the edge overall.

I just did the front, I'm going to see if it helps with releasing food any better at work today. Will update later.

This thread gives me knife envy. I have 2 gyutos + a 10" Sab Nogent. The gyutos are on the less expensive side, a Yoshihiro 270mm and a CarboNext 240mm. I wish I had the guts to modify knives like some of you people -- really beautiful work on the Kono, from what I can see in the pics. I'm thinking about thinning/convexing the Yoshi now... I don't think I have the courage yet.

Just go for it Wagstaff. I did the same with one of my knives, never really did it before and it worked out incredibly well. Knife performs way better than it ever did. Looks a little sketchy but it doesn't affect how it cuts. I've done it twice and started with a 220 SS both times which didn't take that long

Its true.

The best knives atm is Devin Thomas ITK 240 and 270 + a Carter (all mid tech)

Back