How thin is thin..for a nakiiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riba,
Great video! My biggest issue is burr raising. I heard a professional knife maker/sharpener say that he many years he thought that his sharpening
results were stellar but it was not until he learned to raise a single burr that he could accurately make such a claim. This issue gets kicked around
a lot and don't mean to drag it out here, one again. It is just that in the video the presenter makes a reasonable point...inconsistency in burr raising
will, over time, change the geometry of the knife. I paraphrased, hopeully, accurately.

Some novel elements, to me, brought up on this video: finger pressure is different for secondary vs primary bevels; and, how to blend the two bevels.
To me, when I hear him working on the secondary bevel I wonder if this is the same as thinning????

Next time I go to work on the nakiri for thinning, I will stick with the Shapton pro 220...but will consider the atoma 140. At an earlier stage in this hobby I
tried going nats with arkansas stones. I went through two batches of them, having received what I found to be more like junk that I tried to lap with the atoma
140 plate. A sharpening buddy pointed out that the upside is that maybe through all that time on using the atoma on a hard stone(black arkie) I broke in the plate
by rounding off its sharpness...hence, maybe scratches will not go as deep.

Back